I am looking to get my storm soon, making the jump from Palm (Treo 700p). I have read a lot of the posts about this device, and have tried to get educated on this on my own, but I have some questions. I did elect to wait for a few months to allow for some 'ironing out' of a device so new to BB, so I guess I miss out on 'early adopter' status. I'm hoping for some thoughts on whether I should hang on a bit longer, perhaps for the fabled 9520 that has WiFi? I'd hate to get one and then have some great v.2 come out a month later or something, but it's hard to keep waiting. Also, it seems that a great deal of improvement has already been made with the updates for the OS, but have the later production models had better HW performance? (i.e. accelerometer and screenclick improvement and the elimination of the need to put cardboard in the battery compartment, etc.) It seems that more 3rd party apps and games are out and more are on the way, so that's looking good. I hope I can get some helpful feedback on this and not get flamed on this one. Sorry for the ramble, thanks in advance
    01-06-09 03:53 PM
    I am looking to get my storm soon, making the jump from Palm (Treo 700p). I have read a lot of the posts about this device, and have tried to get educated on this on my own, but I have some questions. I did elect to wait for a few months to allow for some 'ironing out' of a device so new to BB, so I guess I miss out on 'early adopter' status. I'm hoping for some thoughts on whether I should hang on a bit longer, perhaps for the fabled 9520 that has WiFi? I'd hate to get one and then have some great v.2 come out a month later or something, but it's hard to keep waiting. Also, it seems that a great deal of improvement has already been made with the updates for the OS, but have the later production models had better HW performance? (i.e. accelerometer and screenclick improvement and the elimination of the need to put cardboard in the battery compartment, etc.) It seems that more 3rd party apps and games are out and more are on the way, so that's looking good. I hope I can get some helpful feedback on this and not get flamed on this one. Sorry for the ramble, thanks in advance
    Well, you won't be able to use the 9520 on VZW. Back to the 9530, it's definitely better than it was a launch, but does have a little ways to go. But by no means am I saying that it's impossible to function with the device. In fact, most Storms are working quite well minus a bug here or there. If you want zero problems, wait. If you can deal with a few bugs here or there, and know that they'll be fixed relatively soon, get one.
    01-06-09 03:57 PM
    I can definitely deal with bugs that can be fixed with updates/downloads.etc...I guess my thing is that I'd hate to have a HW regret, like the screen float problem for example, that can't be fixed
    01-06-09 04:03 PM
    I can definitely deal with bugs that can be fixed with updates/downloads.etc...I guess my thing is that I'd hate to have a HW regret, like the screen float problem for example, that can't be fixed
    You will be getting one of the updated phones HW wise, highly unlikely you will have problems. You also have the 30 day exchange for a new one (or different phone if you get buyers remorse). So in the highly unlikely event you get a POS storm you can swap out for another brand new unit that will have an even newer build date (which theoretically should be more bug free). Id give it another week or two though if you waited this long..make sure they are sold out of the 1st run units and there should even be another software update by then. It will minimize your chance of having to deal with a return.
    01-06-09 04:13 PM
    Newbury we are on the same boat.. i dont know if i should wait to see if they fix the hardware. or give in and get.. and hope that i get a good storm..
    01-06-09 04:18 PM
    Id wait a few months. Not only bc they will fix a lot of storm issues, but bc Verizon has a new unit speculated to be released in may. Its supposedly VZW's version of the BOLD. Maybe Crucial can give you more info on it.
    01-06-09 04:21 PM
    To honest the unit I got back in early december was the best one of all storms i've had. If only it did not have a crunchy screen click problem. The more recent units I received had a button that fell out, unsealed screens, and I had to do various tricks to get my newest storm to click in the bottom of the screen. So I really don't think they did anything to their quality control, which is a shame.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 04:29 PM
    To honest the unit I got back in early december was the best one of all storms i've had. If only it did not have a crunchy screen click problem. The more recent units I received had a button that fell out, unsealed screens, and I had to do various tricks to get my newest storm to click in the bottom of the screen. So I really don't think they did anything to their quality control, which is a shame.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Definitly a shame. I hope they fix this issue because the storm is a great unit otherwise. I returned mine bc the dust in the screen issue. I didnt want to deal with replacememt after replacement, so i went back to my curve which is abeast. Its rock solid and reliable.
    01-06-09 04:36 PM
    I'm going to wait. Surely we'll see a new BlackBerry by the end of the Q1 2009. Hopefully something will come to AT&T. I'd hate to switch to blackberry.
    01-06-09 04:39 PM
    I'm going to wait. Surely we'll see a new BlackBerry by the end of the Q1 2009. Hopefully something will come to AT&T. I'd hate to switch to blackberry.
    you mean to Verizon? which has great coverage, btw
    01-06-09 04:42 PM
    You will be getting one of the updated phones HW wise, highly unlikely you will have problems. You also have the 30 day exchange for a new one (or different phone if you get buyers remorse). So in the highly unlikely event you get a POS storm you can swap out for another brand new unit that will have an even newer build date (which theoretically should be more bug free). Id give it another week or two though if you waited this long..make sure they are sold out of the 1st run units and there should even be another software update by then. It will minimize your chance of having to deal with a return.
    How do I tell if the phone is not 1st run...is there a series number or some other way that I can verify that myself? It's not that I don't want to trust someone at Best Buy, usually they are most informative, but I'd like to be sure that someone is not trying to placate a customer by saying that it is a new HW issue
    01-06-09 06:14 PM
    Hey Newbury, we're in a similar boat. I really want a Blackberry and I'm up for my NE2, but I keep hearing rumors that Verizon is going to release the Niagara and/or Javelin in a couple months. The Storm's software problems don't bother me at all, because software can be updated. I'm worried about having hardware problems with the click screen, be they with the click itself or dust getting behind the screen. I don't want to have to do all these fixes that will void my warranty just to get the phone to work the way it should. BUT I don't want a Curve since that's old technology now, and I don't want to leave Verizon just to get a Bold. Unless I find reason to feel really good about getting a Storm now, I will hold out and see if Verizon really releases a new BB.

Did you get your Storm yet; if so how's it working for you hardware-wise?
    01-21-09 07:50 PM
    How do I tell if the phone is not 1st run...is there a series number or some other way that I can verify that myself? It's not that I don't want to trust someone at Best Buy, usually they are most informative, but I'd like to be sure that someone is not trying to placate a customer by saying that it is a new HW issue
    You can check the build date of the phone by looking outside of the box it came in. On the side of the box, where the large white sticker with all the bar codes is, look at the bottom right corner. There will be a number above "Handheld Made in _____" (tells your where your unit was made).
    My number is 281208 (28 December, 2008).

My first Storm was made on December 2nd, and came with .65. The unit would sort of do this Picture in picture" thing, or have the dial pad really small in the top right corner. My new storm (December 28) came with .75 installed, MUCH faster than my other one on .75, and the wobbly screen was gone. My end key is a little loose, but that's irrelevant.

If your phone came installed with .75, and is a later build date, then you don't have a 1st run.

@Laren
    Check out Cell phone reviews, news and specs - Phone Arena

You can check up on the upcoming releases for any carrier. You can also stay updated on the Niagara. There's also:
    Phone Scoop
    and
    cell phone comparison, long distance plans, cell phone providers rates, services, plans comparison | PhoneDog.com
    01-21-09 09:19 PM
    you sound just like I did before I bought mine. I wrote a post very similar to this one. I had cold feet so bad you would have thought I was going to marry it and have to pay alimony if we split up. Bottom line, I bought mine last week and I'm so glad I did. Zero problems, I love it. Just get it, if you hate it you can return it within 30 days. I'm so glad I didn't let fear keep me from buying one.
    01-21-09 10:28 PM
    You can check the build date of the phone by looking outside of the box it came in. On the side of the box, where the large white sticker with all the bar codes is, look at the bottom right corner. There will be a number above "Handheld Made in _____" (tells your where your unit was made).
    My number is 281208 (28 December, 2008).

My first Storm was made on December 2nd, and came with .65. The unit would sort of do this Picture in picture" thing, or have the dial pad really small in the top right corner. My new storm (December 28) came with .75 installed, MUCH faster than my other one on .75, and the wobbly screen was gone. My end key is a little loose, but that's irrelevant.

If your phone came installed with .75, and is a later build date, then you don't have a 1st run.

@Laren
    Check out Cell phone reviews, news and specs - Phone Arena

You can check up on the upcoming releases for any carrier. You can also stay updated on the Niagara. There's also:
    Phone Scoop
    and
    cell phone comparison, long distance plans, cell phone providers rates, services, plans comparison | PhoneDog.com
    I have .75...My box says Mexico, number 221208...no date of mfr...I have not seem any issues at all with dust or screen clicks...I really love this device
    01-22-09 11:04 AM
    Hey Newbury, we're in a similar boat. I really want a Blackberry and I'm up for my NE2, but I keep hearing rumors that Verizon is going to release the Niagara and/or Javelin in a couple months. The Storm's software problems don't bother me at all, because software can be updated. I'm worried about having hardware problems with the click screen, be they with the click itself or dust getting behind the screen. I don't want to have to do all these fixes that will void my warranty just to get the phone to work the way it should. BUT I don't want a Curve since that's old technology now, and I don't want to leave Verizon just to get a Bold. Unless I find reason to feel really good about getting a Storm now, I will hold out and see if Verizon really releases a new BB.

I make the leap...and I LOVE it. I have had ZERO issues. I was fair-warned about the (very) minor software bugs that will be updated OTA and totally prepared by this forum with solutions for many questions I had...short answer...do it!
    01-22-09 11:15 AM

I just tried to respond to this but my PC froze, so this may be a duplication...if so I apologize for wasting the space...anyway, I got my Storm about 3 weeks ago,...and I LOVE it....it's given me ZERO headaches. I read and researched on this forum and learned so much that I was able to really get up to speed fast. So far no issues of any kind on the HW side, and I have not crashed or frozen at all. I have done a couple of battery pulls to experiment on memory and speed, but I really have a great device. No dust under the screen, no loose buttons, and no screen click issues. I am eagerly awaiting the official OTA OS update (not brave enough to venture into the 'land-of-the-leaked" OS (if it ain't broke, why fix it, right? ) Anyway...my advice....do it, get your Storm now.,..there will always be new stuff coming out, but why wait when you can play today!?
    01-22-09 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD