I've searched the forum and read all the results about this, but it's still not exactly clear to me. How does the add a line thing work for getting the Storm at the promotional price?

I currently have a $39.99 + $15 text plan. This is just an individual plan.

Can someone give me a step-by-step on how to get the Storm onto the primary line and then just pay $9.99 for the other line?
    11-20-08 10:24 PM
    If you are not on a family share plan, you can't add it for 9.99. You will have to upgrade to a family share plan first and it already comes with 2 lines. Add the storm as the new line then have the rep swap the phones between the phone numbers with the corect features.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 10:28 PM
    Sure, this is what I am doing tomorrow (and have already talked with the rep and he knows I am coming)

First off you will have to convert to a family plan with a data package (now required) If you want, you can get the premium plan which is 90 for two users and has 450 minutes, unlimited data, text, and navigator. You will be able to get the storm at the promotional price since technically its a new contract (the additional line) You will have to extend your current contract (I believe) because you are changing your plan.

To be honest though, just go in tomorrow and tell them you want to switch to a family plan and get the storm for the additional line.
    11-20-08 10:30 PM
    yea, just do that, and then you can add a piddly flip phone as the second line, thus, not having to cancel and pay the EFT. it'll work just fine.
    11-20-08 10:33 PM
    Let me run this and tell me if it's right.

1. The family share plan is $57.39 (after my company discount)
    2. The only thing to add for the Storm is $29.99 for BIS
    3. And $15 for a text plan

Total is $102.38 a month.
    11-20-08 10:34 PM
    Sounds about right. Just check to see what the data plan is in your family plan. you don't want to end up having a crappy data plan and pay through the nose when you go over it.
    11-20-08 10:40 PM
    The lowest Family plan I see is for 700 minutes. I am not going to need anywhere near that much. Is there really a 450 minute Family plan? Is that something I can only get in-stores?
    11-20-08 10:46 PM
    yes. adding a line is what i am doing also.

my bill will be about $103 a month.
    totally worth it :]
    11-20-08 10:47 PM
    So how much is the 450 minute Family plan? The basic one.
    11-20-08 10:50 PM
    So how much is the 450 minute Family plan? The basic one.
    Oops, my bad, I was looking in the individual premium one. You're right, the lowest family is 700.

Sorry
    11-20-08 10:54 PM
    Just keep in mind, in the basic plan you are paying $1.99/mb

To put that into perspective, I don't use the internet that often. The most internet I really use is e-mails to my phone and that is around 16mb a month
    11-20-08 10:57 PM
    Since I pay about $55 a month for my individual plan, it seems like I'll be saving more in the long-run if I just buy the phone at full retail.

Even if the Family plan has unlimited data, I still have to tack on $29.99 for the BIS right?
    11-20-08 11:00 PM
    Since I pay about $55 a month for my individual plan, it seems like I'll be saving more in the long-run if I just buy the phone at full retail.

Even if the Family plan has unlimited data, I still have to tack on $29.99 for the BIS right?
    To be honest, I'm not sure about the BIS. I am getting the premium family plan but I've heard people say you need the extra BIS plan but my vzw guy didn't say anything so I'm not sure.

You wouldn't be saving money in the long run because you will still need to attach the storm to a plan right? I would suggest getting the connect family plan. its only an extra $30 (so I think for you that would make it just under 90?) and that includes texts and data. So even if you do need the BIS, thats still only $110
    11-20-08 11:05 PM
    The Connect is $98.99 for me. So adding BIS makes it almost $130.

I will most likely go for the Select plan. Now to figure out what to do with this extra phone... It's a Voyager and it's not going to get used at all if it stays with me.
    11-20-08 11:13 PM
    You don't need to get rid of your phone?

Just upgrade your plan. You arent canceling one plan to start a new. I started a family plan when I was previously on an individual plan and still kept my phone to use on my line.
    11-20-08 11:18 PM
    The upgrade's what I'm planning. But since it's just me, the Voyager I'm using now is just going to sit here doing nothing. It'll be tied to my plan, but no one's going to use it.

I could give it to my brother, but my parents are only paying $5 a month for his phone and he hardly uses it.

Am I really just shooting myself in the foot for getting a Family plan?

EDIT:

I might have a solution after all. My dad's been wanting to get a phone that can get the internet, but he's on Sprint. Say his plan is up and he cancels it. Would the Voyager still be eligible for its NE2 upgrade after I swap the phone numbers so I can still keep my 585 number on the Storm? If it is, then I can just use the NE2 and get an e-mail friendly phone for him.
    Last edited by Zipster; 11-20-08 at 11:29 PM.
    11-20-08 11:23 PM
    It's about math and what you want to pay up front to consider if it's really shooting yourself in the foot. I will say though, it was open up your eligibility options for future "oh my god I've got to have it phones" trust me, I know
    11-20-08 11:25 PM
    OOOH, I think I understand what you're doing. You're creating a family plan so you don't have to pay an early termination fee? So it's really just for you.

Sorry I must have somehow missed that.

If your plan is $50 bucks now thats $1,200 for a two year contract, if you add the family plan that will be at least $2,400 for a two year contract. So your best bet would be to cancel this plan, Pay the $175 termination fee, buy the storm for $200 and stay on your $50 plan. That after two years ends up to be $1,575.

So you would be saving $125 by canceling your current plan instead of buying the storm at retail price. But yea, I wouldn't go the family plan route because you'll just have two lines for one person.
    11-20-08 11:29 PM
    Did I understand what you want to do correctly?
    11-20-08 11:33 PM
    If I cancel my current plan and pay the prorated ETF, don't I have to wait 1 month before opening another one? I've also heard that they'll just start up the exact same plan again.

My problem is that I just started in May last year, so none of the CS reps are willing to push up my NE2. If I buy it full retail, I'll have wasted my NE2. I'll just be carrying around a NE2 without a phone to use it on.
    Last edited by Zipster; 11-20-08 at 11:43 PM.
    11-20-08 11:37 PM
    EDIT:

I might have a solution after all. My dad's been wanting to get a phone that can get the internet, but he's on Sprint. Say his plan is up and he cancels it. Would the Voyager still be eligible for its NE2 upgrade after I swap the phone numbers so I can still keep my 585 number on the Storm? If it is, then I can just use the NE2 and get an e-mail friendly phone for him.
    No idea if you can swap the numbers and keep the NE2 upgrade. It sounds like it may be ok, but I would check with vzw first.
    11-20-08 11:38 PM
    If I cancel my current plan and pay the prorated ETF, don't I have to wait 1 month before opening another one? I've also heard that they'll just start up the exact same plan again.
    I'm not an expert on verizon's plans so I wouldn't no any more details than I've said nor would I want to pretend I do and screw you over.

I would suggest going down tomorrow (well today for me on the east coast) and ask them about cancelling your policy and then starting a new one.

However, I can tell you that unless your Dad comes on your plan with you, don't add a line just to get the storm at the discount price, over time that will cost you a lot more!
    11-20-08 11:41 PM
    I spent a while on the phone earlier this week talking to a CSR about this. You definitely can cancel your plan and start a new one, but the kicker is you have to change your number. While that may not be a big deal for some, I've had my number for about 7 years now and think it would be terrible to have to switch.

But that may be just me trying to justify paying full retail...
    11-20-08 11:48 PM
    If you pay full retail - it will not change your NE2 date . . . . have done that three times now.
    11-20-08 11:49 PM
    So my options are this:

1. Go with the Family plan and pay out the *** later just to have the phone now.

2. Cancel my plan at an ETF of $85, get a new number, and start everything from scratch

3. Just wait the damned 2 long months for my NE2 to come around

4. Buy at full retail and waste the NE2

If what 504Life is saying is true, then tossing the $85 doesn't seem to bad of a deal to get the phone now. As long as I don't have to wait 30 days between signing up for another one, I just might very well go this route.
    11-20-08 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD