I was playing with my phone last night and decided to delete some of the apps that are on the phone by default. I decided since I don't use AIM,Yahoo Messenger, or Google Talk that I would delete them. My only intent was to just get rid of stuff that I don't use. After they were done uninstalling and the usual reboot, I found that my Storm was FAST. I have to say it is darn close to running as fast as the "Simulated" Storm on the verizon commercial. I was shocked and incredibly happy. Also, I am still running the official 75 release.

On a sidenote, I work for the DoD and was just told that the Navy is testing the Storm and will be deploying it to its' users within the next 3 months. This is good news for us. Gov't contracts means more time will be put into making the Storm as stable and user friendly as possible.
    Last edited by Bigslam123; 01-07-09 at 06:39 AM.
    01-07-09 06:36 AM
    Deleting visual voicemail and vz navigator helps even more!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 06:38 AM
    Deleting visual voicemail and vz navigator helps even more!

They had already been deleted, nd while they did add improvement to speed and smoothness of use, it was nothing like when I deleted the messenger apps.
    01-07-09 06:40 AM
    How did you delete them, I dont show a del on the menu,
    01-07-09 06:50 AM
    How did you delete them, I dont show a del on the menu, and I tried to delete them in desktop manager but no go
    01-07-09 06:51 AM
    How did you delete them, I dont show a del on the menu,
    Go to Options->Advanced Options->Applications->Find application you want to delete and select it by touching the screen (not pressing) ->press BB button->Select Delete
    01-07-09 06:58 AM
    How did you delete them, I dont show a del on the menu, and I tried to delete them in desktop manager but no go
    I went into the Rim folder and used the maunal apploader to get rid of them. It gives you more control over what you want to do with the BB. I believe the path is C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    01-07-09 07:00 AM
    If you do this delete of various preloaded programs, can you go back later and reinstall if you need to?
    01-07-09 07:17 AM
    If you do this delete of various preloaded programs, can you go back later and reinstall if you need to?
    All these pre-installed applications can be re-installed using Application center on your Storm.
    01-07-09 07:19 AM
    On a sidenote, I work for the DoD and was just told that the Navy is testing the Storm and will be deploying it to its' users within the next 3 months. This is good news for us. Gov't contracts means more time will be put into making the Storm as stable and user friendly as possible.

Not to burst your bubble, but if and when the Navy or any other DoD contract allows the Storm, fully expect your camera to be disabled by policy... I work for the DoD as well...
    01-07-09 07:24 AM
    Not to burst your bubble, but if and when the Navy or any other DoD contract allows the Storm, fully expect your camera to be disabled by policy... I work for the DoD as well...
    My storm is for personal use. But yes they have already stated that they will disable the camera, media player, messenging programs, and media card access. This really has nothing to do with the point I was making. My point was the RIM will have to step it up and come up with a more stable and reliable OS to appease the Navy's requirements. This will benefit the consumer users as well. The disabled features have nothing to do with the OS. That is all handled through IT policies.
    01-07-09 07:29 AM
    My storm is for personal use. But yes they have already stated that they will disable the camera, media player, messenging programs, and media card access. This really has nothing to do with the point I was making. My point was the RIM will have to step it up and come up with a more stable and reliable OS to appease the Navy's requirements. This will benefit the consumer users as well. The disabled features have nothing to do with the OS. That is all handled through IT policies.
    Sorry I missed your point. I read your post too quickly, but nonetheless, for those who got excited...
    01-07-09 07:33 AM
    I went into the Rim folder and used the maunal apploader to get rid of them. It gives you more control over what you want to do with the BB. I believe the path is C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    My first BB, so I am still learning...
    Do you do this from the DM?
    Anyway you could explain how to do this in steps?
    Thanks
    01-07-09 07:45 AM
    I would appreciate the same.
    Quick one for us not very technical .. step by step please.

Thanks heaps!!!!!!!
    01-07-09 08:04 AM

From there I ran loader.exe
    This will bring up a program that lets you install/uninstall all pieces of the BB software. This is outside of DM.
    01-07-09 08:18 AM
    I can't delete the actual files from my phone. I installed the windows live one for example, then uninstalled it, the icon went away, restarted, and the install icon was back
    Last edited by SkoogusMaximus; 01-07-09 at 08:37 AM.
    01-07-09 08:25 AM

Well, not all Navy installations are testing these, it really has to do with their contracts and what they can purchase through that particular vehicle. Working for the DoD (Navy Specifically) as the BES SA, DISA has said they have no plans to test these for us at all.
    01-07-09 08:29 AM

From there I ran loader.exe
    This will bring up a program that lets you install/uninstall all pieces of the BB software. This is outside of DM.
    Alternatively, just connect your Storm to your PC and fire up Desktop Manager. Then click on Application Loader. Click on "Start" under the "Add/Remove Applications" section. Then just scroll through the list of stuff installed and uncheck whatever you want removed. Click "Next" to get to the summary page of what will be add/removed and click "Finish" to start the changes.
    01-07-09 08:30 AM
    Alternatively, just connect your Storm to your PC and fire up Desktop Manager. Then click on Application Loader. Click on "Start" under the "Add/Remove Applications" section. Then just scroll through the list of stuff installed and uncheck whatever you want removed. Click "Next" to get to the summary page of what will be add/removed and click "Finish" to start the changes.
    Is this more efficient or better, than just going to Options, etc and using the menu (BB key) button to delete the app?
    01-07-09 08:39 AM
    I was playing with my phone last night and decided to delete some of the apps that are on the phone by default. I decided since I don't use AIM,Yahoo Messenger, or Google Talk that I would delete them. My only intent was to just get rid of stuff that I don't use. After they were done uninstalling and the usual reboot, I found that my Storm was FAST. I have to say it is darn close to running as fast as the "Simulated" Storm on the verizon commercial. I was shocked and incredibly happy. Also, I am still running the official 75 release.

That's odd as I thought all those IM programs were not installed by default but rather shortcuts to bring you to the download page to install them? When I first used AIM and Facebook, it didn't launch the program but rather brought me to a download link first ti install the apps before I could run them for the first time. Am I mistaken on this?
    01-07-09 08:43 AM
    Dayumn! I removed these, the BB messenger, and the Japanese and Korean languages, and this thing is wicked fast now! Why on earth?? The accelerometer kicks in almost instantly now in messages, SMS, browser, Gmail...

Thanks for the tip, Bigslam!
    01-07-09 08:47 AM
    It is just easier to do it in OPTIONS/ADVANCED/APPLICATIONS

01-07-09 08:50 AM
    i don't show them in option/advanced/apps......but the icon/links to the webpages are still there.
    01-07-09 09:02 AM
    Can anyone tell me what "Windows Live Messenger" is? Has anyone deleted it?

01-07-09 09:05 AM
    Is this more efficient or better, than just going to Options, etc and using the menu (BB key) button to delete the app?
    It basically accomplishes the same thing as doing it directly from your Storm from Options->Advanced Options->Applications. This just gives you a little more control over what you can remove. Not all the things you can remove to free up memory are listed under Options->Advanced Options->Applications (like the additional languages and fonts.)
    01-07-09 09:05 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD