Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a Storm this weekend, and although to be honest it's more for fun than business, I would like to access some institutional resources when I'm at work. I work at an academic medical center, and on my laptop I do this by either connecting to the hospital's wifi, or, when I'm not in a hotspot, logging on to their Virtual Private Network with a program by Cisco (I'm not a computer guy, that's really all I know, but if you ask specific questions I can try to answer).

Since the Storm doesn't have wifi, is there an app or something I can download that will allow me to connect to the VPN ? If not, I'm afraid this is gonna be a dealbreaker.
    11-18-08 11:55 AM
    I'd like to know this too
    11-18-08 12:26 PM
    By using the VPN, you still are connecting wirelessly, right? Without wifi you would not be able do this on the Storm.
    11-18-08 12:30 PM
    Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep and had quite the nice experience. Just like everyone else, I have called for my 5th time today to ask about the storm lol. He actually processed my plan upgrade (added data feature) over the phone and assured me that they would be calling me on Friday to process my order. I am placing my faith in this guy, so I am hoping this goes through. I was one of those that got the "VIP Sale" flyers in the mail and he knew that right off the bat. Soooooo, I suppose my question is this, do I trust Verizon enough to let them call on Friday, or do I try and call first? Thoughts?
    11-18-08 12:34 PM
    By using the VPN, you still are connecting wirelessly, right? Without wifi you would not be able do this on the Storm.
    I am a electronic tech, and i have a winmo phone, and I vpn onto our network all the time over evdo. Why would it have to be a wifi connection?
    11-18-08 12:36 PM
    Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep and had quite the nice experience. Just like everyone else, I have called for my 5th time today to ask about the storm lol. He actually processed my plan upgrade (added data feature) over the phone and assured me that they would be calling me on Friday to process my order. I am placing my faith in this guy, so I am hoping this goes through. I was one of those that got the "VIP Sale" flyers in the mail and he knew that right off the bat. Soooooo, I suppose my question is this, do I trust Verizon enough to let them call on Friday, or do I try and call first? Thoughts?
    Was this posted here by accident? This has nothing to do with this thread.......
    11-18-08 12:38 PM
    Since the Storm doesn't have wifi, is there an app or something I can download that will allow me to connect to the VPN ? If not, I'm afraid this is gonna be a dealbreaker.
    I asked the same question here and there's some info in that thread.

HH
    11-18-08 12:38 PM
    Was this posted here by accident? This has nothing to do with this thread.......
    he opened another thread on it... guess he really wants input.
    11-18-08 12:40 PM
    I asked the same question here and there's some info in that thread.

HH
    Off Topic - HH, is that a Night Rod in your avatar?
    11-18-08 12:48 PM
    a good starting point would be what type of VPN is it?

IPsec? PPTP?

i dunno if either of those will work on a BlackBerry but im sure it has something to do with it
    11-18-08 12:58 PM
    Yeah.. I posted that on accident.. had to step away from the computer and when I got back just clicked "reply" for some reason thinking it was a new post.. my bad
    11-18-08 01:04 PM
    Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a Storm this weekend, and although to be honest it's more for fun than business, I would like to access some institutional resources when I'm at work. I work at an academic medical center, and on my laptop I do this by either connecting to the hospital's wifi, or, when I'm not in a hotspot, logging on to their Virtual Private Network with a program by Cisco (I'm not a computer guy, that's really all I know, but if you ask specific questions I can try to answer).

I haven't had luck connecting a Bold to VPN at my University, none the less if you are an employee I'm sure the IT people could get you onto the BES server and this way you could have all of those resources...just a thought.
    11-18-08 01:10 PM
    Not to dig up an old thread, but instead of making a new one I figured I would add to this one

Has anyone found out if there is a VPN app that can be installed and work with the Storm?

I do not have the BES on my account (as I don't have the need to get my work email from the exchange server and don't want to spend the extra 15 a month). However I have a few emails forwarded to another account that sometimes has links for tkts and what not that are all internal sites.

So I need a VPN app that I can use to log into my company to be able to view these links.

Is it possible?
    12-18-08 03:01 PM
    you can take a look at software from here
    RDM+ :: Remote Access Tools
    it may do what you need. you can also see if you connect the phone to BES if your company will pay for. then if you do connect to BES you can access internal websites.
    12-18-08 03:22 PM
    I am also trying to source a VPN client for the Blackberry Storm.

However it seems not many understand the difference or requirement for VPN and RDP connection and assume we all run a BES and we only want to ever connect to our own site or office.

Dear RIM - how about we just load a VPN client and connect over GSM, authenticate to the end router and then fire up RDP software to connect to a desk top. Doesn't sound to hard does it??? Nice big screen on the BB Storm would be great.

Apparently in the RIM ivory tower (the tower with the one glass installed the wrong way around) this is just too hard.

PS you purchased a BB Storm for 'fun' ? wow, now that's an oxymoron. All of the above is available for the iPhone, all free and downloadable by the time I wrote this reply !
    04-21-09 11:47 PM
    Off Topic - HH, is that a Night Rod in your avatar?
    No it's a B model VRSC-B from 2004

HH

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 07:49 PM
    Express VPN is a good one. Although the price seems to be a little bit higher but it is worth it. They offer 30-days money-back guarantee so you don't have to worry about it.
    08-27-15 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD