Ok so first post for me...I've been reading for a long time though (its like a sanctuary for bb users)

So I have the Storm from Verizon (9530? right?) and when I lock it then bring it out of lock (sometimes) it doesn't do the accelerometer tilt (screen going from hotdog style to hamburger style anymore until I use the phone to call someone or randomly it will just start working again.

Anyone else get this?

I suspect the accelerometer stops responding (either the OS side of things or the hardware). Is my storm broken or what?
    11-24-08 02:05 PM
    Just let your storm run for a little, let the system heat up. It will fix it on its own, at least for me :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 02:08 PM
    Ok so first post for me...I've been reading for a long time though (its like a sanctuary for bb users)

So I have the Storm from Verizon (9530? right?) and when I lock it then bring it out of lock (sometimes) it doesn't do the accelerometer tilt (screen going from hotdog style to hamburger style anymore until I use the phone to call someone or randomly it will just start working again.

Anyone else get this?

I suspect the accelerometer stops responding (either the OS side of things or the hardware). Is my storm broken or what?
    This is the first I've heard of accelerometer issues. Must be your Storm.

I know, I know... Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    11-24-08 02:10 PM
    no mine does it too. this phone blows!

one second away from throwin it back at VZW and driving right to att and getting the iphone
    11-24-08 02:12 PM
    no mine does it too. this phone blows!

one second away from throwin it back at VZW and driving right to att and getting the iphone
    Dude, remember that the iPhone had a ****LOAD of issues when it first came out and it took time for them to release software updates, and its going to take time with the Storm as well..
    11-24-08 02:15 PM
    Every now and then it mine will get cranky coming out of lock mode, but not a significant amount.
    11-24-08 02:18 PM
    Mine was doing this too, but I was able to stop it from doing this. When you phone is locked, click the screen or a button BEFORE hitting the unlock key. This will "wakeup" the accelerometer and it will work without issue.
    11-24-08 02:18 PM
    Yea, thats what I was about to post.. I talked to a guy in verizon pretty high up and he noted the glitch..
    11-24-08 02:22 PM
    Dude, remember that the iPhone had a ****LOAD of issues when it first came out and it took time for them to release software updates, and its going to take time with the Storm as well..
    Funny Thing is-

Everyone Knocked The iPhone for the exact Same Reason.

No one would listen to reason.

'Tis Only Fair I Assume.

ANYWAY-

My Accelerometer is the Only Gripe I have with my BB.

As of Now-

I'm finding it hard to Justify the Recycling of my Bold for the Storm Though.
    11-24-08 02:23 PM
    Yeah I get the same problem. I have to lock and unlock a few times before it comes out.. I'm going to take mine back. I can't justify spending $100 a month for this phone when I have a a $22 a month plan with unlim text and data.
    11-24-08 02:28 PM
    I think there could be 2 reasons.

1. If you lock your phone then lay it flat it seems to have some issue for a bit when you return to normal use.

2. If you lock it and throw it in your pocket/or other travel carrier, the constant motion from portrait the landscape seems to shake it up a bit.

As others have said, just give it a little bit to straighten out when you return to normal use.

On a side note... I noticed mine goes screwy when it gets gold. So if I am outside for a bit and try to turn my phone it lags or does not turn at all until it warms back up.
    11-24-08 02:35 PM
    Weird. I had NO issues with it initially, but today it started. I thought it was a Skyscape program I downloaded but maybe it was inadvertently hit the lock button. Really tryin hard to be optimistic bout these things.
    11-24-08 02:44 PM
    Yeah I get the same problem. I have to lock and unlock a few times before it comes out.. I'm going to take mine back. I can't justify spending $100 a month for this phone when I have a a $22 a month plan with unlim text and data.
    Look. Just press the screen BEFORE the unlock button. If you do this each time before you unlock THERE ARE NO ISSUES.

Mine works perfectly now, and I was just as frustrated as you before I tried this.
    11-24-08 03:01 PM

1. If you lock your phone then lay it flat it seems to have some issue for a bit when you return to normal use.

2. If you lock it and throw it in your pocket/or other travel carrier, the constant motion from portrait the landscape seems to shake it up a bit.

As others have said, just give it a little bit to straighten out when you return to normal use.

On a side note... I noticed mine goes screwy when it gets gold. So if I am outside for a bit and try to turn my phone it lags or does not turn at all until it warms back up.

I've been having this same problem. I put the phone into lock mode, then when I unlock it, it starts having problems. Hopefully the firmware update will fix this.
    11-24-08 03:37 PM
    Same here. Really hoping for an update on this, it's probably the most annoying bug that I've encountered.
    11-24-08 03:47 PM
    I ordered both the hard case and the silicon case for the Storm and just recently noticed whenever I used the silicon case, the Storm's accelerometer had difficulty switching. When I removed the case from the phone, the accelerometer worked fine.

You may want to remove it from any existing casing you have for it and see if the accelerometer functions better. Just my $.02
    11-24-08 03:55 PM
    I was frustrated as **** with the accelerometer on mine.......until I figured out the "push the screen first" trick when unlocking it. Honestly, that's all you need to do. Before you unlock the phone, press the screen once. It wakes the accelerometer back up, and your problems will go away.

E
    11-24-08 04:10 PM

Anyone else get this?

same exact problem I am at the Verizon Store right now they are going to do a "Hard Reset." Other problems include but not limited to, screen does not shut off when I am talking on the phone so my ear clicks apps, keeps saying sim card rejected until I pull battery, when making calls I could not hear people on the other end but they could hear me, went to VW store and they fixed with soft reset. Anybody else having any of these problems? I do not want to give up phone only to wait a month for a replacement
    11-24-08 04:16 PM
    Hold the Phone Upright, the phone will respond much faster.
    11-24-08 04:17 PM
    The problem is that the accelerometer does not recognize when you hold phone upright
    11-24-08 10:08 PM
    I gotta try that touch the screen before unlocking, but why should I need to?...

I don't know why people are so protective of this phone and it's bugs. So many people are ready to jump down your throat for saying something doesn't work. Well.. it doesn't work.
    11-25-08 12:13 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies! I've noticed the pressing the screen thing before unlocking is the best way..or wait a while if its (I assume you meant cold...though gold would certainly rock cold. Yeah its going to be a great phone after RIM fixes a few bugs..to be honest it already has less issues than my 8830 did (for some reason though I think that was verizon's fault).

Awesome...thanks guys, I'll be keeping this one then and try to ride it out.

Anyone know where to get new themes for this thing? I think a new theme might fix the lagging issues that some people are noticing (darn qualcomm processor).

Hey MODS we can marked this one SOLVED or whatever if you want (thats what Ubuntu forums does atleast).
    11-25-08 10:15 AM
    Mine was doing this too, but I was able to stop it from doing this. When you phone is locked, click the screen or a button BEFORE hitting the unlock key. This will "wakeup" the accelerometer and it will work without issue.
    Great hint! (make sure it's on the tips and tricks thread)
    11-25-08 10:26 AM
    I think the cold, has some to do with it too, it is about 20 something degrees here, when I am outside and I take mine out the screen sometimes won't even flip back from portrait to landscape. I'm sure this is to do with the device freezing, and the LCD lag, but when it is at room temp, I have little problems.
    11-25-08 10:33 AM
    I think the cold, has some to do with it too, it is about 20 something degrees here, when I am outside and I take mine out the screen sometimes won't even flip back from portrait to landscape. I'm sure this is to do with the device freezing, and the LCD lag, but when it is at room temp, I have little problems.

I agree with this, the storm does not like cold weather.
    My accelerometer gets really unresponsive outside in the mornings
    but works fine once I am in the office. The tip about unlock
    has solved one my few gripes with the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 10:44 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD