Hey guys,

I'm fairly stupid when it comes to the accelerometer in phones. I've just learned (months ago) what it was and what it did (I always wondered how the IPhone knew how to switch... I always thought it was some magic trick!).

With that being said, I've seen many problems when it comes to the Storm and many people blame it on the accelerometer (lag / answering calls). Is this something that can be fixed via firmware or is the physical device itself not right?

Thanks for the insight.
    11-26-08 05:17 PM
    Hey guys,

I'm fairly stupid when it comes to the accelerometer in phones. I've just learned (months ago) what it was and what it did (I always wondered how the IPhone knew how to switch... I always thought it was some magic trick!).

With that being said, I've seen many problems when it comes to the Storm and many people blame it on the accelerometer (lag / answering calls). Is this something that can be fixed via firmware or is the physical device itself not right?

Thanks for the insight.
    Don't blame yourself. You don't need to know how it works for it to work properly. RIM simply put out an unfinished product. Keep reading these boards and you'll come across various predictions of when the software update is coming.
    11-26-08 05:21 PM
    yeah dont get down about it...software can resolve it and in time it will happen...be proud that you have some cutting edge technology....this is kinda what happens MOST of the time with new stuff....ppl like ourselves have to tell them its broken and then let them fix it
    11-26-08 05:23 PM
    i think what hes asking is if the problem is hardware or software, i had this question aswell.
    11-26-08 05:24 PM
    Don't blame yourself. You don't need to know how it works for it to work properly. RIM simply put out an unfinished product. Keep reading these boards and you'll come across various predictions of when the software update is coming.
    So I take it corrections/alterations can be made via software updates to the accelerometer?
    Nothing that I know of is how yet to address the accelerometer.
    but the prob with the accelerometer, is the software running it isnt quite what it should be......think of how ppl complain about their computers getting slower over time...the comp is just as good but they need to clean out the software that is running on it..same here it may not need a cleaning but a more effective version of the software will be great....aka the "mysterious" update...
    11-26-08 05:30 PM
    windows does the same thing...their called service packs..they come out about every 6-8 months and address issues with the software....yes the accelerator is hardware but it takes a good software program to run it correctly
    11-26-08 05:31 PM
    Any of you having problems with the acceleromator tried a fresh OS install?

Seems to have worked for some other people who were having the same problem.
    11-26-08 06:14 PM
    I think some of the fixes have a placebo effect.

Most of the issues imho come down to people not closing out applications and just hitting the red button.
    11-26-08 06:17 PM
    I just wanted to figure out if the accelerometer can be tweaked/improved via software updates or not .
    11-26-08 06:25 PM
    The accelerometer puts out pristine data extremely quickly. One of my friends wrote an app to view how sensitive it is, and it was incredible. These are purely software problems with RIM's OS.
    11-26-08 06:30 PM
    The accelerometer puts out pristine data extremely quickly. One of my friends wrote an app to view how sensitive it is, and it was incredible. These are purely software problems with RIM's OS.
    Awesome, was that app for the Storm?
    11-26-08 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD