I recently read an article on the web about a guy being arrested for hacking into RIM's servers but he was caught and now facing prison.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 11:33 PM
    To add.... So you are saying that 1% of the mobile surfing, video streaming population is causing enormous delays? I'm not so sure about that. I'd like to see that somewhere. I don't download on limewire, but I stream video. So I guess you don't watch youtube? Why have a video streaming device if you don't want paying customers to use it?
    11-13-08 11:35 PM
    you're misunderstand me. Im talking about the bandwidth hogs who sit there downloading on p2p sites, streaming some 720p video, sharing files, and hooking up their SLING BOXES and video game consoles!!

It doesn't just have to be mobile surfing, its the same network, whether you are using a express card or a mobile phone...
    11-13-08 11:59 PM
    which is why verizon has vcast and a beta program coming out next fall to let you watch nfl games on your phone!!!!!!! that one should be sweet on the storm too. i cant imagine how many people are going to be going over the 5 gig cap with blackberry tv.
    11-14-08 12:11 AM
    It's not that I misunderstand you. You misunderstand the point that if they didin't allow you to use these services (wireless card, tethering, etc) then they shouldn't offer them. It isn't like our phones or laptops have a bandwidth meter on them like a "game clock" telling you how much you have used up to the gb!!!!! Again, I haven't been spanked by verizon so I guess i am doing ok and i use it quite a bit, surfing the internet, emails, sling box. They may try to put that verbage in their agreements but they surely know people use the wireless cards and tethering (legal or otherwise) to stream video, share files. I'm not bashing you. I'm just saying I don't believe that the network is that bogged down by a 1%er.
    11-14-08 12:20 AM
    What I'm getting from this is that Verizon "unlimited" data does not allow you to watch YOu tube?

11-14-08 01:46 AM
    Peste what happened was i made a comment asking if i get the blackberry storm i am going to have to change my data plan to a blackberry data plan. With my windows mobile device hooked up to my notebook computer i have consistently used over 5gigs of data everymonth for the last year. I was wondering with plan change if verizon would notice and i would start getting billed. Then it went into a morality issue and if downloading videos hurt the network and so on. To answer your question watching youtube doesnt effect your data. If verizon ever asks me how i used 20 gigs last month i am going to say man i watched a lot of youtube at work!!!!!!
    11-14-08 01:56 AM
    If they make an App for slingboxes for a BB you better believe i'm going to get it and use it EVERY time I can! Why? Because its offered and I love my sling box. And if i EVER went over my 5gb cap using an application they approved and tried to bust me for it i'd tell them to shove it up thier A$$ because its thier fault they approved the application.

BUT back to the original question at hand, I have Hi Speed internet almost everywhere I go except when I travel. And I don't want to pay the $15.00 monthly fee on the OFF chance I need to use my berry to get online, so if this mobishark program works well and seems worth of a purchase then I won't hesitate to get it because its more of an inconvience to look up certain web pages on the berry than it is on a laptop w/ a full html browser etc.
    11-14-08 02:16 AM
    hawk, i will most likely be the first person testing out mobishark friday morning i will post how well it works. If you come across a review of the product (i have yet to find one) please post the link!
    11-14-08 02:26 AM
    any of our european friends started probing around the inner workings of the storm and find anything cool?
    11-15-08 06:26 PM
    OK I could care less about the morality side of this but I would like to point out Verizon's view of this.

Surfing the internet from the handheld drastically limits the load on the network ie wap sites vs full html and no large data downloads. They charge you $44.99 for the unlimited data plan on the handheld.

Surfing the internet from a computer presents a much greater load on their network so they charge $59.99 to pay for the increased data usage for folks who have wireless access EVDO on their computers.

When you tether your handheld they rightfully expect you to pay the same as folks who have computer accessing their network since your usage will be similar so they charge you the difference $15.

Since they were getting r***d by all of us WM users who hacked our way onto first their 1XRTT then their EVDO networks they came up with an extremely high (5 GB) limit for someone who is only accessing their network with a handheld device. There is no way any normal user can hit the 5 GB limit from a handheld without tethering. You may not like it but there is nothing wrong with VZW protecting their network and ensuring they get paid for their services.
    11-15-08 08:00 PM
    well i cant get mobishark to work, this is my firstblackberry and i am doing something wrong. no matter what i do i get the verizon page telling me to pay for tethering, anyone gets this working let me know what your setting are Please!!!!
    11-21-08 11:35 PM
    I Downloaded the trial of MOBISHARK and after about an hour messing around with it I did get it to work on my storm, using firefox. This is my 1st BB and here is a likn conferming mobishark works on the storm. Mobishark MobiShark BlackBerry Blog
    I used pdanet on my MOTOROLA Q on the verizon network and it worked perfect and I never got questioned about the use of it. I just surfed and used iit for geocaching. I wil take my chances with Mobishark one time fee of 50 bucks aposed to a 15 to 30 bucks a mo. No brainer...
    Last edited by joeandjeni; 11-23-08 at 08:36 PM.
    11-23-08 08:24 PM
    Hi Alexander323bc, just saw your entry about your windows phone and data charges. I have a MotoQ and use PDANet, by June Fabrics. It works as a modem like MobiShark and I have been running it now for almost two years without a single modem data charge. It all falls under my unlimited data plan without a problem. If the battery life wasn't so miserable on the phone I would have kept it but I needed a phone that lasted over a day without going dead.

Now waiting on my Curve!

Take care

Shane
    12-11-08 09:44 AM
    Mobishark works nothing like pdanet. mobishark works as a proxy server. its garbage. i will be taking my storm back soon i love the phone thought i am really kind of pissed.
    12-11-08 12:01 PM
    I haven't tried it yet on my storm alex. Are you sure it works as a proxy? if so that kinda stinks..
    12-11-08 08:56 PM
    That may be the case but I personally am not willing to risk it. I know someone who was caught for downloading music and it didn't turn out good. I also have my moral standard that stealing a product/service in the long run only hurts said company. You may think they try and pocket all your money but there business does take money to run if you have noticed with the current economy a ton of stores and things are going under.. the money they gain may be needed someday to even provide you the service that you use.
    One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords. This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the Copyright Act (title 17, U. S. Code). One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of �fair use.� Although fair use was not mentioned in the previous copyright law, the doctrine has developed through a substantial number of court decisions over the years. This doctrine has been codified in section 107 of the copyright law.

Source = U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use
    12-11-08 09:16 PM
    Mobishark works nothing like pdanet. mobishark works as a proxy server. its garbage. i will be taking my storm back soon i love the phone thought i am really kind of pissed.
    After all this....this is your review? I expected more info. Has anybody else tried this product or researched to find another?
    12-12-08 05:48 AM
    has anyone gotten filesharing programs to work with mobishark? I have tried Utorrent, azureus and frostwire and not one of them will connect. If anyone has managed to get a program to work please feel free to share the love.
    12-16-08 03:26 PM
    I get a page from Verizon stating that I need to subscribe to the yethering plan when I go to set up the connections manually. It's as if it's accessing the tethering network instead of the standard BB data network. What gives?

03-16-09 06:56 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD