Since we now have a release date with a price, i think its time to move on to some really fun abusing potential. This will be my first blackberry, i currently have the xv6800 which i have successfully hacked so that i can use it as a modem for no additional cost. I use around 20gigs a month and i have not had any extra charges. does anyone know if current blackberries have the ability to get around big reds tethering fee? Either on its own or with a 3rd party app? i came across an app called mobi shark but i didnt find a review saying that it worked or not. Any help would great!!!!
    11-13-08 04:31 PM
    There isnt any hack like windows mobile. I had the xv6700 with WM6 and it was EASY.

I think there is a program what you have to pay for that can get around it... But i cant remember its name.
    11-13-08 04:49 PM
    mustang thanks for the response, yah i am going to miss the easy windows mobile hacks!!!!!
    11-13-08 05:10 PM
    mustang thanks for the response, yah i am going to miss the easy windows mobile hacks!!!!! As long as there is a program out there that works thats all that matters
    11-13-08 05:23 PM
    umm... bah sorry I have to say it but I don't agree with "stealing" services that are charged by the company... would you walk into a store and steal a CD or a movie

its the same thing.
    11-13-08 05:35 PM
    umm... bah sorry I have to say it but I don't agree with "stealing" services that are charged by the company... would you walk into a store and steal a CD or a movie

its the same thing.
    Agreed. I would rather pay the $30 or $40 a month then steal service. If you get caught not only is it illegal but they can charge you for all that back service. Not worth it IMO.
    11-13-08 05:41 PM
    I think some of you may have understood my intention of the post. I am paying for 49.99 data plan with unlimited data. Then Verizon decided to limit the data to only 5 gigabytes. Then on top of that they want to charge another 15 dollars a month for a tethering feature. Windows mobile phones have registry codes built in so you can use the phone as a modem as it was originally intended before verizon said no we want more money out of you!!!! I was just wondering if blackberry had the same thing or if you had to use a third party application. I hope this clarifies any issues with me trying to steal anything.
    11-13-08 06:31 PM
    SINNER!!!!! Jk, haha ..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 06:39 PM
    Only stealing $15 a month, not $49.99. Besides I thought it was $44.95 and how in the he11 did you get 20GIG's a month out of then with out getting turned off? D@mn.
    11-13-08 06:58 PM
    Here is the application. Its Called MobiShark
    BlackBerry Application Store - How To - BlackBerry As A Wireless Modem

purchase that, and you dont need to pay for a monthly tethering fee.
    11-13-08 07:04 PM
    Ya i dont know how it works either but i a know numerous people that have done this. If you were to try this on a data card you would get nailed for it. I also know that if you have tethering on your phone and you try this you also get nailed. I just called samsung when i got my i760 asked them how i enabled the modem feature they sent me a patch on there website installed it and i had instant internet access. i did the same with the xv6800 that i am currently using hooked up to my laptop to post this. i use the internet connection for downloading music, videos, i even hooked my xbox up to it play xbox live. REV-A is a beautiful thing!!!! I done this every month for the past 2 years have not gotten nailed yet. I know numerous people that have done this windows mobile devices and have not had any issues. I dont see why a blackberry device would be much different its on the same network. Maybe i just made someone really happy who is reading this??
    11-13-08 07:08 PM
    YES Mobishark that was the one i was asking about Thankyou Chris!!! has anyone from the site tried this program?
    11-13-08 07:09 PM
    Try the demo. it limits you to 10 megs. so try and and see what speeds you get. Dont go over 5 gigs a month or you'll be gettingone of these:

"As you know, the terms and conditions that govern your NationalAccess
    and/or BroadbandAccess account, which were provided to you at the time
    of service activation and which are posted on VerizonWireless.com,
    only permit Internet browsing, email, and intranet access. All other
    activities, such as streaming and/or donwloading movies and video, are
    expressly prohibited by the terms and conditions. A copy of the terms
    and conditions is enclosed.

"We recently reviewed your Verizon Wireless NationalAccess and/or
    Broadband Access account and found that your usage over the past 30
    days exceeded 10 Gigabytes. Your usage was more than 40 times that of
    a typical user. This level of usage is so extraordinarily high that it
    could only have been attained by activites, such as streaming and/or
    downloading movies and video, prohibited by the terms and conditions.
    Based on these facts, your extraordinarily high levels of usage
    conclusively demonstrate a violation of the terms and conditions, and
    your account will be terminated on 5/30/2006."
    11-13-08 07:17 PM
    Here is the application. Its Called MobiShark
    BlackBerry Application Store - How To - BlackBerry As A Wireless Modem

purchase that, and you dont need to pay for a monthly tethering fee.
    Super cool. Thanks!
    11-13-08 07:17 PM
    Hope it works with the Storm.
    11-13-08 07:19 PM
    BlackBerry's aren't like WinMo devices. BlackBerry is known for it's stability and most of all it's security.
    11-13-08 07:21 PM
    Blackberry's superb security has made me sketchy on my current amount of data usage. Changing the phone isnt whats bothering me. its actually changing my data plan over to a blackberry data plan. If there is anyone on this site that is using there blackberry as a modem and is downloading a obscene amount of data a month feel free to make a post and ease my fears!!!!!!!
    11-13-08 10:06 PM
    I will reiterate .. If the company charges for it whether they limit or not and you work around a way to get it its stealing period.

Once again would you walk into a store and steal a music cd or movie. Also not only can they charge you for the previous service they can throw a fat lawsuit on you and put you in jail and or prison =)

Just keep that in mind is all im saying
    11-13-08 10:26 PM
    companies dont even bother
    11-13-08 10:30 PM
    companies dont even bother

That may be the case but I personally am not willing to risk it. I know someone who was caught for downloading music and it didn't turn out good. I also have my moral standard that stealing a product/service in the long run only hurts said company. You may think they try and pocket all your money but there business does take money to run if you have noticed with the current economy a ton of stores and things are going under.. the money they gain may be needed someday to even provide you the service that you use.
    11-13-08 10:40 PM
    You make it sound like i am stealing toys from poor children then reselling the toys to their parents on christmas morning. I just think if verizon is going to call something "unlimited" it should be unlimited, why hasnt anyone sued them for false advertising???? Do i like stealing bandwidth from verizon and getting away with it??? YOU BET YA!!!!!! So if verizon decides to lock the blackberry messaging feature and charge you 10 dollars a month to use it and someone develops a way to unlock and use if for free you wouldnt do it?
    11-13-08 10:47 PM
    I can't stand that the "Unlimited" Data plan is capped at 5gb. I think thats ridiculous, and its crazy that Verizon charges u more $ to tether as a modem i do not agree with that at all. So i'm going to try this mobishark program, and if it works out well then I'll probably buy it just for the sake of being able to use my berry as a modem when I need too. Like this past week when I was in vegas, it would of been super handy, but i wasn't aware of it. So shame on me =)
    11-13-08 11:05 PM
    gives slpfhawk a huge hug (in a non romantic way) ya i am going to try the program and just watch my data usage for the first month and go slightly over the 5gig cap to see of they catch it or not. If not let the downloads continue!!!!
    11-13-08 11:20 PM
    Honestly,

I like how verizon provides a 5 GB cap. This is because 1% of the people using verizon wireless will go over the 5GB cap, and that 1% are the people that are slowing the network down more than 50%.

So if verizon could find a way to get rid of those 1% of customers that eat up all the bandwidth, then the other 99% of the customers can use it for what its meant for and be happy, and have fast speeds.

surfing the internet, email, aim, etc. will not get 5 GB's. But download on limewire, streaming high bitrate video, etc. will. and its not meant for that. Thats why we have a modem at home to do that for.
    11-13-08 11:25 PM
    Yeah, but SlingMedia is working on a beta platform for BlackBerry to enable this sweet A** tv option for BBs. I use it currently on my Treo 700wx and can't wait for the beta. I have never had issues as far as VZW breathing down my neck, but boy, with that nice screen, I could see myself watching more on my phone...
    11-13-08 11:31 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD