i recently got an unlocked blackberry storm 9530 but when i put in my tmobile sim card it says "insert sim card" at the top and and has a red "SOS" in the corner. the tmobile sim card works in my old tmobile blackberry curve.
    The phone is definitely unlocked as when the old verizon sim card is in it it says under advanced options, SIM when I enter M E P D it says

SIM: disabled
    Network: disabled
    Network subset: disabled
    Service provider: disabled
    Corporate: disable

I also tried changing the Mobile Network options:
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Technology to GSM/UMTS
    Network Mode: 3G & 2G

It says under Mobile Network "T-Mobile" So I would think it recognizes the sim card if it show T-Mobile.

Please help with a solution to this, maybe I'm missing a step? I had thought with an unlocked phone you just put your sim card in and it works. I have another unlocked LG and thats all you have to do, and it works fine.

Thanks
    03-25-10 03:10 PM
    03-25-10 03:27 PM
    Go back to the screen where you typed mepd. Type "m, e, p, 2" and see if it gives you the screen that says you have 10 tries to input your unlock code. If it does go to this screen, your Storm is not unlocked. If nothing happens, it's unlocked.

And welcome CrackBerry!!!
    Last edited by shfjcs; 03-25-10 at 03:47 PM.
    03-25-10 03:37 PM
    Thanks for welcoming me
    Tried MEP 2 and nothing happens, so it means its unlocked.
    03-25-10 04:07 PM
    Under Mobile Network options, try setting "Data Services" & "While Roaming" to On (if it's not already set there). And you may as well set "Network Mode" to 2G because that's all it will do anyway.
    Also, try doing a battery pull, see what happens.

Sorry, you did type mepd first and then mep2, right?
    03-25-10 04:19 PM
    If you have never set up the phone on T-Moblie you will need to follow the steps in the link I posted. Its a pain to do. Storm 2 was less of a pain to getting it working on AT&T for me.
    03-25-10 06:16 PM
    In Mobile Network settings:
    Data services: ON
    Mobile Network T-Mobile
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network technology: GSM/UMTS
    Network Mode 2G

It still says "insert sim" whats boggling my mind is it recognizes the mobile network as T-Mobile, so how could it say "insert Sim"?

I also took my T-mobile sim card in and exchanged it for a new one, as I heard older sim cards may cause that problem. I tried the new sim card and still no luck.
    03-25-10 07:10 PM
    hey 1FastMr2
    I thought those were instructions for a browser issue with the storm.
    Will this work for my specific issue, not getting service at all, SOS?
    Why do you have to do this with the storms when they are already unlocked?
    03-25-10 07:15 PM
    hey 1FastMr2
    I thought those were instructions for a browser issue with the storm.
    Will this work for my specific issue, not getting service at all, SOS?
    Why do you have to do this with the storms when they are already unlocked?
    In order to make the phone work on T-Mobile you need to download the crack it utility follow the instructions to make the phone work on T-Mobile.
    All that is posted in the thread I gave you. Just because you unlocked the phone does not mean the phone will function when you put the sim card in it.
    It took me three days the first time I did this last year. It was a pain and I had to do a lot of reading. I always use google to find answers. I will tell you my 2 cents.......Go buy a Storm 2....unlock it. You will be a happy camper
    03-25-10 07:49 PM
    Question again that you did not answer - did you type mepd first and then mep2 right after that, and nothing happened?

I think the phone is not unlocked. Mobile Network - T-Mobile might be there because roaming is on. If the phone is unlocked, as soon as you insert the sim card and set the network to GSM, it should automatically find your network and at the minimum make and receive phone calls.
    03-25-10 11:32 PM
    When you type in mepd, network should say inactive, not disabled like everything else. If you or someone else used another method of unlocking the phone besides typing in a mep code, this might be your problem. There are programs out there capable of disabling the network security lock, but they can cause other problems while doing so.
    In mobile network settings, choose manual for network selection mode, scan, then actually choose T-Mobile as your network and set it to 2G only. I'm a Verizon customer, but I have mine unlocked for traveling purposes.
    I've put several different SIM cards in mine(T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.), to test, and they all worked just fine. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. Hopefully I helped a bit.
    03-26-10 12:49 AM
    Here is a video of a person unlocking a storm with a T-Mobile sim card in the phone.

03-26-10 02:02 PM
    sorry a newbie too i unlcked my storm and am trying to put it on att when i enter the att sim card in is says unknown sim card everything is unknown but i put the original verizon sim card everythingis available is there anything im missing
    03-27-10 11:36 PM
    Hi....Go look in a thread called Storm How to Tips and FAQs. In there you will find a thread how to set up your storm on AT&T

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 11:43 PM
    thank you for pointing me in the right direction im still learning how to use this site also
    03-28-10 12:48 AM
    I bought an unlock code from cellunlockstore.com. After going thru the whole schbang, I got the "code accepted" message. I had an old prepaid NET10 sim with minutes on it so I wanted to see if in fact the GPRS/UMTS radio of the phone works with any network. After re-activating the SIM, I get the SOS message. Now someone mentioned how the SIM needs to register the first time in its own carrier's coverage area and not while roaming. Anyone have a similar experience?? I am traveling extensively to Europe and I want to make sure that 1) the phone is really unlocked and 2) that it will work with any carrier's SIM before I continue to throw money at it. At the rate I'm going I could have probably afforded Verizon's 99 cent a minute rate in most of W. Europe Thanks in advance
    05-26-10 09:50 PM
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
    NO MATTER WHAT I DO MY 9530 KEEPS SAYING INSERT SIM CARD and SOS where the signal strength is supposed to be. It's not the SIM card (cause i had the SIM card replaced just to be sure) no matter what SIM card i use (my country only has 2 networks B mobile and Digicel ) i keep getting the same thing and the really puzzling thing is that 2 weeks ago its was working just fine. I just woke up one morning and was greeted buy this problem i even flashed it like 6 TIMES and downgraded to OS 4 ( just to be sure because was running out of options) PLEASE HELP I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-08-13 02:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD