So my g/f is from South Korea and is traveling home for the summer. We're trying to find out what she needs to do to use her 9530 with a Korean local provider.

South Korea is CDMA so according to my ****** verizon rep unlocking the phone will only unlock the GSM sim slot not the CDMA and "you'd probably have to install special software". That's where I walked out because he was obviously talking out of his *** and trying to convince me to pay $2 a min roaming all summer.

So what I'm asking is:
    What needs to be done to use the 9530 in Korea from a Korean provider?
    Do I need to unlock it?
    Are there any recommendations for Korean providers?
    What do I need to know that I'm not asking?

Thanks
    05-15-09 10:13 AM
    I am currently in S. Korea using my Storm. I got it unlocked so I could use a local carrier while I was here. But I have not found any local carries that use SIM cards. I also have an unlimited data package so I can send and receive as many emails as I want, which is mostly the way that I comunicate with my family back home. The best thing for her to do is to get a local phone through a local carrier. They are really cheap, I bought a local phone and 200 minutes for 30,000 Won, which is about $23.
    05-15-09 10:33 AM
    So basically what the above user said is, the "stupid rep" was correct. You can't "unlock" a CDMA phone (at least not easily)
    05-15-09 11:47 AM
    So basically what the above user said is, the "stupid rep" was correct. You can't "unlock" a CDMA phone (at least not easily)
    No that's not what I said. What I said was that the local phone market does not use SIM cards. Unlocking hte phone is as easy as calling VZW and telling them you are going to be traveling outside the US and would like to use another carrier while you are traveling.
    05-15-09 12:03 PM
    My brother travels to Korea and he told me the only phone that works there is theG1 because of the frequency off he local carriers...is that true? Well obviously not since you are using your phone there now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 12:05 PM
    I told him he was wrong...big brothers always know better :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 12:06 PM
    The Storm works just fine, I make calls back to the states every so often. It's a little on the pricey side but it still works.
    05-15-09 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD