Back story-
    I am running win7 RC 64 bit, I have several users who have the 9530 (Storm). I have recently needed to update several of them to the most recent OS. I have just downloaded the most recent desktop manager software 4.7.0.37 and installed it by right clicking the .exe and selecting run as admin. I then installed the most recent OS package using the same method.

I have read many stories online and tried all supposed fixes and read that it is user error, or software load error etc. I have come to find out that the issue appears to be more specific device related and not software or PC.

Device 1-
    Plugged in, drivers loaded in error, Desktop manager does not see phone. I opened device manager then selected the device and used update driver right-click option, windows said this the best driver is loaded....
    So while still in device manager I uninstalled the device and checked the box for "Delete the driver software for this device". After this finished I scanned for new hardware and all was well. Desktop manager now saw the phone and I was able to update the OS.

Device 2-
    2 minute after updating Device 1, plugged in device driver error as first experienced with Device 1. So I uninstalled the the driver and checked the box, just as before. Scanned for new devices, and device driver error, the best driver is already loaded..........GRRRRR.

After several failed attempts and tries at forcing a driver update, including a complete removal and reinstall of the Desktop manager software. My fix is as follows-

Plug device in allow to load the erroneous driver. Right click blackberry object under USB Controllers in device manager, select uninstall, check the box for "Delete the driver software for this device", select OK. Go to start select run type services.msc hit enter. On the new window go to "Windows update" double click stop the service, set startup type to "Disabled" select apply (Note current state prior to making changes so that you can reset this when finished). Go back to the device manager window, scan for new devices, the blackberry should be found this time but will fail to load a driver. Right click object select update driver, choose the browse option, choose "Let me pick from a list", chose "Have disk", browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\USB Drivers" at which point you should see "RimUsbNT.inf" which should be automatically selected, select open. After the installation of this driver completes you should see a properly functional blackberry connection.

The root error is that windows seems to continue forcing their driver to install which is dated from 2007, this driver is several revisions behind the current working driver. Once the outdated driver is completely purged and the new driver is loaded you can restart the windows update service.

I hope this helps somebody somewhere.
    06-10-09 01:10 PM

I am having the same problem. When I attempted your resolution, I do not have a RIM file in my common file, and therefore do not have the 'RimUsbNT.inf' driver. Do you know where I might be able to obtain it. I have tried the BlackBerry site and the Verizon site with no luck.
    Please help! I have not been able to sync or backup my device for much too long and I am waiting for something bad to happen.
    06-13-09 03:06 PM
    Sorry for the delay in response not a forum regular.

The drivers should automatically be present after you install the desktop manager software (may need to run install as admin). If not download the most recent OS software for your device.

If all else fails do a global search of your PC, make certain to search all of your primary drive (typically C: ) not just the pre-defined default locations.
    Last edited by SCSIadmin; 06-23-09 at 01:10 PM.
    06-23-09 01:05 PM
    Just FYI, you don't need to right-click and choose run as admin to install things. If the system requires it, you'll get a UAC prompt. I have had no problems running the latest 4.7 under W7 32 and 64 bit. If you're having issues, then it's a botched install of DM. Uninstall it, reboot and reinstall it from a fresh download off RIM's download site. Once installed, plug the phone in without having DM running. (Make sure Mass Storage is set to Prompt on the phone.) Once the drivers load for PIM interaction, click No on the Mass Storage prompt on the phone screen. A second set of drivers will load for 9530 media plugins. (This is sometimes the one that doesn't load right, btw.) Then once that's loaded fine, unplug it and plug it back in 10 seconds later (you need to wait the 10 seconds) and this time answer yes to mass storage on the phone's screen. Let those drivers load. Once all these steps are done, you shouldn't have any issues.

BTW, be aware that if you load or unload an OS exe on the PC in question, the drivers for the BB will be refreshed triggering a whole new driver load process the next time you plug in.
    06-23-09 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD