Who's making the jump right out of the box - and where's the best place to pick one up?

Average eBay price seems to be $65...
    11-19-08 12:24 PM
    Depends on what class, I think the class 2 on amazon is too slow at this point. I may hold out for class 4 or class 6 for higher trxfer speeds. I will keep the 8gb for now. Load only my music, keep one of my 4gb for movies while traveling. (Hope I don't drop the card on the plane, since it will be nearly impossible to find). Give my other 4gb card to my wife for her phone. Then I will pray to sweet baby jeebus that the device doesn't get delayed any longer and that I get my hands on one early Friday morning.
    11-19-08 12:30 PM
    that's a good point - I was wondering about the speeds...especially in relation to using them for media (which I'm assuming will be the primary use, considering we have 1gb of on-board storage already)
    11-19-08 12:32 PM
    The cheapest place I found so far (only a few minutes of searching) was Buy.com. Just search 16 gb MicroSD and it should be the first result. The thing is going to cost you around 65 bucks + 6 more for S&H fees. But, if you sign up for the Buy.com credit card, you'll save 30 bucks making this only $35 plus S&H. Hope this helps you.

EDIT: Not sure what the speed on that one is...
    Last edited by NewAmericanClassic; 11-19-08 at 12:35 PM.
    11-19-08 12:33 PM
    Nah. No need. I'll get a 16 gig when it's needed but i have 13 gigs of music and only about 2/5 of which I listen to so i'll be making a playlist and just transferring that over.

If/When I need 16 gigs i'll get it...and the price will probably be 30 bucks or so with how fast prices are dropping on those types of things.
    11-19-08 12:34 PM
    does the storm support 16gb cards out of the box, or is there gonna be a software update to enable that lata?
    11-19-08 12:36 PM
    I'll probably wait for the 32GB cards to come out, then take the plunge.

Do it once, do it right.
    11-19-08 12:36 PM
    Do it once, do it right.
    Haha, that quote made me laugh a little.

I'm just going to be making playlists and sending them over, and if I really want to listen to a song, I'll stream it via internet.
    11-19-08 12:39 PM
    does the storm support 16gb cards out of the box, or is there gonna be a software update to enable that lata?
    From what i've seen and heard OS 4.6 supports 16gb and the Storm ships with OS 4.7.
    11-19-08 12:41 PM
    im just going to stick with a 4gb class 6 card, should be more than enough considering i have an ipod nano for music an am never too far from my laptop to move files back and forth. **** you can even upload your pictures straight online from the device so should never be short of space
    11-19-08 12:49 PM
    Please be VERY CAREFUL about purchasing microSD cards on ebay. To date it has been a well known scam site for these devices with hundreds of people being scammed.

Look first to the SanDisk site where you will see that SanDisk do not currently make a 16Gb Class4 microSDHC card. Thus if you see one on ebay then it is, for sure, a scam.

A second word of warning is the genuine but cheaper bulk packaging offers. These contain a genuine SanDisk card but DO NT carry the SanDisk gurantee. The Guarantee in this case is carried by the bulck supplier who sold the card to you. Make sure that you can trace this entity before you commit to buying. Remeber that the bulk purchaser may not be the person who sells it to you. This may be simply to get out of the guarantee or it may be that the seller is a sub-purchaser.

Cheaper with these devices may not always be the safest buying option.

If you want more information on microSD cards then check out the link in my signature.
    11-19-08 12:52 PM
    I have already made the jump. 16gb card on the way. For me the transfer spped isn't that big of a deal, I don't see myself adding files on a daily basis, if so I'd consider holding out for a class 4 or 6.

Side note:
    OS 4.6 and above will support up to 32gb cards, whenever those become available. Which includes the Bold and Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 12:55 PM
    Who's making the jump right out of the box - and where's the best place to pick one up?

Average eBay price seems to be $65...
    Amazon.com: 16 micro sd

Above is a link I found where you can buy 8gig micro sd for $15.00 buy 2 and you have 16 gigs for only $30.00. I personally want seperate 8 gigs because I can add different info to each and depending on what I need I can just swap them out. I might even try the 4 gig chips and get 4 or 5 of them .I hope this helps.
    11-19-08 12:56 PM
    Amazon.com: 16 micro sd

Above is a link I found where you can buy 8gig micro sd for $15.00 buy 2 and you have 16 gigs for only $30.00. I personally want seperate 8 gigs because I can add different info to each and depending on what I need I can just swap them out. I might even try the 4 gig chips and get 4 or 5 of them .I hope this helps.
    Just curious, what is the benefit of going with 2 or more 8 gb cards or other smaller cards expect price? I would see it as a hassle to keep up with multiple cards and swap them in and out as needed. Itd only make sense that you would be swapping on the go. Otherwise just plugin to your computer and add/remove files as needed.

This isn't to knock you or anything just curious, I do see the $30+ being saved as a plus, just what else?

11-19-08 01:37 PM
    I'll probably wait for the 32GB cards to come out, then take the plunge.

Do it once, do it right.
    I'll probably do the same. 8GB will be fine with me for now.
    11-19-08 01:45 PM
    I agree, couldn't you just have separate folders on the larger card to isolate whatever information you wanted. It would "seem" like 2 cards
    11-19-08 01:49 PM
    yeah, not a fan of having to switch out multiple cards - especially with these phones...you have to remove the battery in order to get the card in the slot. On other devices where the memory slot is accessible from the outside, it might be an option.
    11-19-08 01:55 PM
    yeah, not a fan of having to switch out multiple cards - especially with these phones...you have to remove the battery in order to get the card in the slot. On other devices where the memory slot is accessible from the outside, it might be an option.

You do not have to remove the battery on the Storm to do this, just the battery cover.
    11-19-08 02:00 PM
    You do not have to remove the battery on the Storm to do this, just the battery cover.
    really? Which review was it that said the battery must be removed in order to install the SD card and/or SIM card?
    11-19-08 02:06 PM
    disregard, the quick start guide clearly states the battery must be removed when swapping out SIM cards, but not for the SD card...

That makes life a little easier, I suppose.
    11-19-08 02:16 PM
    really? Which review was it that said the battery must be removed in order to install the SD card and/or SIM card?
    there was a hands on vid from a crackberry poster and one of the points he made was that you only have to remove the back battery cover and not the battery itself to change out the micro sd card!
    11-19-08 02:16 PM
    11-19-08 02:18 PM

ok, but are we not limited to MICRO SD only?
    11-19-08 02:21 PM
    Do they make microSD faster than class 2?

I already ordered a retail packaged 16GB off ebay from a seller with a high rating.
    11-19-08 03:11 PM
    My vote is to wait until holiday season for the 16. You will probably get a good deal with holiday sales... Also the higher speed does make a difference, roll with the 8gb for a while if you can!

11-19-08 03:27 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD