Just to let it known I figured this out that by dialing *611 from your storm it is routing you through a globial call and it is using your minutes. It took me 3 days and 450 min to prove it. they are trying to get the issue fixed but it will show up on your usage on my verizon as a toll free number that uses your minutes.......
    12-11-08 11:58 PM
    interesting I wouldn't have even guessed it..
    12-12-08 12:16 AM
    It is a glitch because I have never been charged...
    12-12-08 12:57 AM
    have you tried just 611? i use just 611, no star and i dont get charged.
    12-12-08 05:19 AM
    Shouldn't that be IN calling though? I realize it's not a cell but you're using verizon to actually CALL verizon.........
    12-12-08 05:22 AM
    It is kinda like how when you call your Voicemail. Voicemail also is charged against your minutes even though you would think it is a Verizon to Verizon Call :-)

I've called 611 and talked to them about it and was told that yes calls to voicemail are charged as regular minutes.
    12-12-08 05:25 AM
    It is kinda like how when you call your Voicemail. Voicemail also is charged against your minutes even though you would think it is a Verizon to Verizon Call :-)

I've called 611 and talked to them about it and was told that yes calls to voicemail are charged as regular minutes.
    FWIW, AT&T does this too. Probably all carriers do.
    12-12-08 05:27 AM
    Yes, calls to voicemail use airtime. But, calls to 611 (no star) are airtime free. They sometimes show up on my "current usage", but when the billing cycle ends and the official usage is processed they are always free (I use less than 60 anytime minutes so easy for me to watch for)
    12-12-08 05:36 AM
    Calling vm from your phone has always been chargeable. Is this your first cell phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 06:02 AM
    To my knowledge *228 calls are free, but 611 and voicemail have always been charged. I once called 611 due to an outage issue and since I was talking to the rep due to a problem on their end, I asked them to credit my account for the minutes used since it was their problem that caused me to dial 611 in the first place. They did so, without indicating that it wasn't needed due to it being a free call. Also, any calls that are usually made to a VZW system that's free normally has a "This call is airtime free." notification on it. I dunno, just going by how it works for me.
    12-12-08 07:11 AM
    Answers to FAQs
    Self-Service Options - Verizon Wireless
    Verizon Wireless does not charge you for calls made to *611, 911 or minutes included in your Calling Plan
    *611 + [send] Account information (airtime-free)
    AT&T and T-mobile (and pretty sure Sprint) also do not charge airtime, in case another use comes across this thread wondering
    PLAN TERMS | AT&T
    Unsupported Browser

The last time I saw any carrier in the US charge for 611 calls was in the 90's. If anyone is being charged dispute it and file a complaint.
    Last edited by howie; 12-12-08 at 10:45 PM.
    12-12-08 10:36 PM
    If you are concerned about using up minutes for your voicemail, call your phone from a landline, then send it to voicemail. Press * and it will prompt you for your password just like normal and it works the same.
    12-13-08 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD