I got a BlackBerry Storm yesterday on Vodafone UK.

All vodafone price plans come with "unlimited" internet........although the small print says it has a fair use police of 500mb....anything over 500mb will be charged at up to �2 per extra mb!!

Would general everyday browsing take me up to that limit in a 30 day period?

Or is 500mb plenty to have?
    12-04-08 03:45 AM
    Wow, Verizon gives us 5gb of data.
    I know its a disgrace what vodafone offer its customers.
    12-04-08 03:50 AM
    Wow, Verizon gives us 5gb of data.
    Only if tethering. That's what's discussed in the data plan thread on the first page of the forum.
    12-04-08 03:51 AM
    thats not plunty ... are u sure its 500 mb ??? verizon has a 5 gigabyte cape
    12-04-08 03:52 AM
    5 gig seems fair can anyone confirm this and has anyone ever gone over this amount

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 03:52 AM
    Only if tethering. That's what's discussed in the data plan thread on the first page of the forum.
    ummm nope .... its regardless. with the unlimited blackberry plan you cap off at 5 gigs
    12-04-08 03:53 AM
    ummm nope .... its regardless. with the unlimited blackberry plan you cap off at 5 gigs
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/n00...-plans-108340/

3 posts all say it is only when tethering or they thing it's only when tethering. One of the three being noaim who's been pretty good with info since being here.

I thought it was capped at 5 gig too though so who knows.

either way 5 is about impossible to reach.
    12-04-08 03:57 AM
    sorry sooks gotta nail you on this one.. there is no limit for using data from the handheld itself

its a tethering limit. Every single time I call in which is a ton I ask that same question I ask every single time and I have been told its a tethering limit over and over and over again. I understand that reps and cs give wrong info but it seems like there pretty constant on telling me its for sure unlimited from the handset.

as far as the OP

I have used the thing non stop surfing installing apps doing email sending pictures all kinds of crap sense the day it came out and I am sitting at about 45mb.

so I think for normal usage 500mb in a month should be good.

EDIT:

I went and read the actual policy on the site...

Basically what it states is that there is specific things they don't want you to do like streaming video to the web or uploading downloading files constantly they say that someone involved can potentially use 100-200 mb in 1 hour and if done constantly for 10 hours a day for 7 days a week could potentially break 5gb so that is there thresh hold of when they can take action.. This doesn't mean that YOU are charged if you go over this means that some sort of flag probably appears on your account to investigate the usage to make sure you aren't breaking there terms. Thats at least the way I took it.
    Last edited by noaim; 12-04-08 at 04:11 AM.
    12-04-08 03:58 AM
    500mb is plenty if you're browsing, emailing, BBM'ing and using applications every day.

I average 100mb per month.

You should be able to check your use on your Vodafone online account if you have one.

12-04-08 04:11 AM
    ok so noaim ... if you read what is posted right above it says 5 GB .
    12-04-08 04:14 AM
    500mb is plenty if you're browsing, emailing, BBM'ing and using applications every day.

I average 100mb per month.

You should be able to check your use on your Vodafone online account if you have one.

Thats refreshing to hear browsing everyday should be safe. Ill be doing quite a bit of it though!

Its a disgrace we get 500mb and the folk in the States get 5gb.

Verizon seems to be soo much better than Vodafone. I used to think they were the same company.
    12-04-08 06:55 AM
    I browse practically 9-5 @ work lol or just have it running in the background whilst I work.

The big data guzzlers are music/video streaming and using your BB as a modem.

Its only less than a year ago that voda users only got 6mb (yes,6mb) so 500mb is quite a jump for them

Last edited by Hazysky; 12-04-08 at 07:10 AM.
    12-04-08 07:06 AM
    This is very good information to know. Ever since I found out that tethering technically costs extra, I've always avoided, even when it would have been a big help to me. I basically didn't want to have to pay the extra $30 just to do it every once in a while. Based on what is posted above, it sounds like tethering on occasion is not an issue so long as you don't overdue it and push your data transfer usage over the 5 GB limit. I just checked my account and, since I upgraded to the Storm (I had an 8830 before that) I'd say I'm averaging ~100 MB per month (extrapolating out the first 8 days of use). That leaves plenty of room left over for a short tethering session here or there just to move data between the work intranet and my laptop. This will be very handy!

-SR-
    12-04-08 07:45 AM
    \

Its only less than a year ago that voda users only got 6mb (yes,6mb) so 500mb is quite a jump for them

6m for a BB
    12-04-08 08:35 AM
    I just checked mine, I've used ~30mb since I got the Storm just shy of two weeks ago... and I use it fairly (though not very) heavily. 500mb should be fine
    12-04-08 08:37 AM
    I got mine 2 weeks ago and am at 120mb, but 90 of that was downloading an audiobook. 500mb will limit you but it's not that bad for everyday use.
    12-04-08 08:49 AM
    How can u look at what ya have used? I got att bold

12-04-08 09:17 AM
    I got my phone on the 26th so I've had it for 1 week if you don't count today which I've not used it much today. I've been playing with it a lot as a new CB user and getting to know how to do things in BB that I've done in WM for years... In that time I've done 70,158kB.
    12-04-08 09:25 AM
    How can u look at what ya have used? I got att bold

Being this is a vodaphone/verizon STORM forum, maybe you should try asking in a forum/thread that is more suited for your phone as none of us have a bold OR at&t.
    12-04-08 09:33 AM
    I use my browser pretty regularly. Since the 21st, I've used 41.6mb. I'd say 500 should be plenty.
    12-04-08 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD