I just got my second Storm in today. I activated it on myverizon, then did the *228 thing. The automated message deal said, "Thank you for calling the Appalachia Wireless Phone Update Center. Please hold while locate your phone information." Then he says "Phone programming failed. The serial number could not be validated." I'm only in 1x service by the way. If that matters. Idk if I have to be in 1XEV.

Am I gunna have to call customer service?
    09-23-09 04:17 PM
    Are you needing to change over your esn on the account? You may need to have the esn put on first and then call *228, sometimes the OTA gets kinda weird. Call verizon at 800 922 0204 or *611.
    09-23-09 04:26 PM
    Sounds like you're in an extended network area. try manual programming.
    09-23-09 04:26 PM
    If you are switching phones you need to have it done by a Verizon rep. You can't do it with *228 option 1. Go ahead and call Verizon and have them do it for you.
    09-23-09 04:33 PM
    Go here The Roaming Zone-System ID (SID) List

Look up your City/State location HomeSID. Then on your phone dial ##000000 Send and go to HomeSID and change the number to match what it has on the website. Then hit Menu/Save. Let it reboot and try *228 again. If for some reason the number was the same already or if you don't have a number listing for where you are, call customer service from a landline and tell them that you cannot dial *228 to OTA because the HomeSID might be wrong on the phone and it's hitting another carrier's tower. The person on the other line should be able to tell you the correct HomeSID number to put in. If the person on the other line has no idea what you're talking about, hang up... you got an id1ot... call back and try again or ask them to escalate you to Tier 2 because they're dumb. Good luck.
    09-23-09 04:33 PM
    Question, I'm trying to find the right HomeSID for you, but I'm guessing Clintwood is probably a small town. What major town is it close to in VA?
    09-23-09 04:36 PM
    Sounds like you're in an extended network area. try manual programming.
    I am in extended network. I lived outside of Knoxville, TN but moved here to the middle of nowhere VA and just kept my number, same area code all that. I get 1XEV when I got to a nearby city though. Could I just go there and would that do it? How do I do manual programming?

Go here The Roaming Zone-System ID (SID) List

Look up your City/State location HomeSID. Then on your phone dial ##000000 Send and go to HomeSID and change the number to match what it has on the website. Then hit Menu/Save. Let it reboot and try *228 again. If for some reason the number was the same already or if you don't have a number listing for where you are, call customer service from a landline and tell them that you cannot dial *228 to OTA because the HomeSID might be wrong on the phone and it's hitting another carrier's tower. The person on the other line should be able to tell you the correct HomeSID number to put in. If the person on the other line has no idea what you're talking about, hang up... you got an id1ot... call back and try again or ask them to escalate you to Tier 2 because they're dumb. Good luck.
    My city, state isn't listed Nor any surrounding areas.

EDIT: Closest MAJOR town would probably be Bristol or Abingdon.
    09-23-09 04:45 PM
    OK, closest HomeSID I could find is Lincoln, WV. It's 1800. So, change the HomeSID in ##000000 to 1800 and save it and let the phone reboot as I said above. When it comes back up, try doing the *228 OTA programming. It should hit Verizon's network for it.
    09-23-09 04:50 PM
    OK, closest HomeSID I could find is Lincoln, WV. It's 1800. So, change the HomeSID in ##000000 to 1800 and save it and let the phone reboot as I said above. When it comes back up, try doing the *228 OTA programming. It should hit Verizon's network for it.
    Ok. I'll try it out. The originial SID was for Lawrence, PA. Go figure.
    Last edited by zombie_nation09; 09-23-09 at 04:55 PM.
    09-23-09 04:51 PM
    Still saying Programming Failed.
    09-23-09 04:57 PM
    Try changing you HomeSID to 93. It's one for the Tri Cities.
    09-23-09 05:26 PM
    I tried that one too rockstar. I called Verizon and they said it's me being in extended network. I'm gunna make the 20 minute trip to get 1XEV service. Yipee. Thanks everyone.
    09-23-09 05:34 PM
    go down 83 towards Pound you should get out of the extended network along that road, im pretty sure.
    09-23-09 05:40 PM
    Yeah I get it when I get into Wise.
    09-23-09 05:44 PM
    Damn, I guess Verizon isn't everywhere... you should keep harping on them to put a tower up there. I thought they have the best network... I guess they stop following you when you get too far down the road huh? lol
    09-23-09 10:26 PM
    Nope. I get some service here at the house but its extended network. Good thing I got 1XEV at school (and in all my classes!).

I'm still confused why I don't have 1XEV here because Alltel was the big carrier around here. Verizon buys em out but I still get the triangle. I figured I get a better signal.
    09-23-09 10:33 PM
    I'm sure eventually they'll push out a new PRL to fix that. In reality though, if Alltel is there, you shouldn't see the triangle at all.
    09-23-09 10:40 PM
    So if u can find the right international SID...does this mean u can get free roaming?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-09 10:44 PM
    Yeah I figure so. And I didn't think I should. I was pretty surprised to see it. But it still does everything fine. BB browser, opera, sending and receiving pics. Really everything except for activation . Just a little slower.
    09-23-09 10:44 PM
    I'm sure eventually they'll push out a new PRL to fix that. In reality though, if Alltel is there, you shouldn't see the triangle at all.
    That was one of the areas that had to be divested.

VA RSA 1 (CMA 681): Buchanan, Dickenson, Lee, Russell, Wise, Norton City.

It will soon be At&t. I didn't think about this till today.
    09-24-09 12:56 PM
    That was one of the areas that had to be divested.

VA RSA 1 (CMA 681): Buchanan, Dickenson, Lee, Russell, Wise, Norton City.

It will soon be At&t. I didn't think about this till today.
    Yes, but the Alltel towers should have taken over for the service. I'm willing to bet someone's not updated the PRL to include those towers. If I was the OP, I would call into CS and ask to speak with a supervisor. Then ask that supervisor to file a service ticket on their behalf for tower issues in their specific area, citing the divested info and ask them to put a notice as to when they'll finailize the transition. I've done this before for a questionable tower in a location and it was fixed within 2 weeks of the original call.
    09-24-09 04:05 PM
    Either that phone is stolen or you need to change some things.

Dial ##000000 and hit send. Some options will come up, make sure you rnumber is the one displayed in both menu options. If not, edit it.
    09-24-09 04:10 PM
    I got it activated yesterday. Everything is working fine. I changed the SID too and don't think I've been in roaming yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD