My work brings me to North eastern Minnesota frequently. My challenge was getting a good signal; about 2 years ago I purchased a booster for my 2nd home and my problem was solved. Recently I purchased a Storm moving away from my XV6800 Smart phone. About 50% of the time my storm says 1X; when that occurs I show nearly full bars; but I can't make phone calls, get email or go on the internet.

I have tried everything imaginable on the "manage connections"

I love my Blackberry and hope I can get it fixed or I will need to go back to my smartphone. Any ideas?
    08-01-09 10:05 AM
    If you were getting 1X instead of 1XEV, you could make calls and get on the web/get emails. Are you sure you're not making a visual mistake between 1XEV and 1x? There's a difference if the letters are CAPS or not. If they are CAPS, you have BB data, if they are lower case (1xev or 1x) you only have voice, but no data.

Next time you're in your home area, dial *22899 to update your provisioning and PRL. This should help if roaming is an issue where you travel. Also, look at Verizon's coverage map. If you see white where you're traveling, then you're in bumfu** and will have crappy signal.
    08-01-09 10:07 AM
    It says 1X and does not do anything (call, email or internet); all I can think is that somehow the booster is not syncing with my phone?
    08-01-09 10:18 AM
    I have not heard of the *22899 only *228...I will try that.

Thank-you for taking the time to read.
    08-01-09 10:21 AM
    There could also be an issue with the Booster... call and complain to Verizon about the signal.
    08-01-09 10:36 AM
    how come mine never says 3g =(
    08-01-09 11:19 AM
    how come mine never says 3g =(
    1XEV = 3G. Verizon phones will never display "3G" as a coverage indicator, but that doesn't mean you don't have 3G. People with GSM phones may show "3G", but it's just a marketing ploy. 1XEV is the same as 3G for your purposes.
    08-01-09 11:26 AM
    1XEV = 3G. Verizon phones will never display "3G" as a coverage indicator, but that doesn't mean you don't have 3G. People with GSM phones may show "3G", but it's just a marketing ploy. 1XEV is the same as 3G for your purposes.
    I believe I've heard when you go out of the US that you get the 3G signal. Now that could mean out of North America I don't know but that's what I've heard.
    08-01-09 11:29 AM
    The problem is there isn't a new network yet that far up on the north shore and you'll be stuck with 1X for most of that area.

Although very beautiful (I love the baptism river and tettegouche falls!) it isn't a very good area for us computer and electronic people.

Edit: I was up on the north shore last weekend and the furthest north I remember seeing 1XEV was Duluth and maybe going in and out of it near two harbors. Anything further up towards grand marais was 1X on my storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mosipher; 08-01-09 at 12:19 PM.
    08-01-09 12:13 PM
    I believe I've heard when you go out of the US that you get the 3G signal. Now that could mean out of North America I don't know but that's what I've heard.
    "3G" means "the GSM version of 3G" (i.e., HSDPA/UMTS). "1XEV" means "the CDMA version of 3G". Being the big fish in the pond, the GSM folks have appropriated the generic term "3G" for their particular 3G protocol. Furthermore, the Storm does not support the frequency used by GSM providers in the U.S. for their 3G, so you won't see "3G" on a Storm in the U.S. even if you unlock it and put in an at&t SIM card.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 08-01-09 at 02:39 PM.
    08-01-09 02:25 PM
    3G is only for GSM... our CDMA service uses EVDO service or whatever.

This is what I believe:

1X: edge speed, but you have everything
    1x: only calling
    1XEV: 3G speed, you have everything
    1xev: 3G, but only calling.

someone please corect me if i'm wrong.
    08-01-09 02:30 PM
    3G is only for GSM... our CDMA service uses EVDO service or whatever.

This is what I believe:

1X: edge speed, but you have everything
    1x: only calling
    1XEV: 3G speed, you have everything
    1xev: 3G, but only calling.

someone please corect me if i'm wrong.
    I haven't ever been able to make a phone call on 1x or 1X
    08-01-09 02:50 PM
    really?

Maybe it was because I was overseas. But I was in Israel(which is a CDMA country), but the whole time I was there I only ever had either 1X or 1x, I never had EV status.

But when I was on 1X I had data and calling(web email... everything), it was just a bit slower than normal. but on 1x I could only make calls/txts. I couldn't access the internet/data plan.
    08-01-09 03:05 PM
    Then you have other problems.

Also, when you lose RIM data capabilities 1x or 1xev, carrier TCP data is still available, this is why OperaMini still works. You just lose BIS/BES connectivity, that's all. The only time you lose all data is when you're in D mode. At that point, only calls are possible.
    08-01-09 03:50 PM
    if you can't make a call on 1x or 1X is your phone even still voice activated? is the ESN/MEID still active on your account? Definitely sounds like you need to make a call to Verizon.
    08-01-09 05:15 PM
    The problem is there isn't a new network yet that far up on the north shore and you'll be stuck with 1X for most of that area.

Although very beautiful (I love the baptism river and tettegouche falls!) it isn't a very good area for us computer and electronic people.

Edit: I was up on the north shore last weekend and the furthest north I remember seeing 1XEV was Duluth and maybe going in and out of it near two harbors. Anything further up towards grand marais was 1X on my storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yup, I love this part of MN, have spent most of my vacations here, but it is true that it is very hard to stay connected to the world here. ( I actually like it this way, but I'm never working though) But the OP should at least be able to make and recieve calls?
    08-01-09 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD