So I got my storm during the initial release. Was made in Mexico PRD-19502-002. Phone worked great. Although two problems cropped up. Screen click uniformity was not good and the green phone send button was "loose". I tried the business card mod and then the torx screw mod. Screen click improved a great deal but developed crunch in the left hand side of screen (in portrait mode). Decided to call for replacement last weekend. VZW tech support gave me no trouble. Explained my problem and they sent me a replacement phone. I did not ask for a new phone did not check if was going to be refurb, just decided to test my luck. New phone arrived yesterday.

Replacement phone arrived in small brown cardboard box labeled FRU. Phone is BRAND NEW, with protective plastic stickers all over it. Came with phone, SIM card and battery door cover only. No accessories, no battery, no microSD card. New phone was made in Mexico PRD-21009 mfg date 12.17.2008. Click screen is about the same as the old screen after the torx mod with the exception of no screen crunch on the left side. Bottom row of hard keys are more flush and uniform in feel, no loose keys. Biggest difference is the gap between the bottom row of hard buttons and the screen. The gap on the new phone is MUCH smaller. Would say that the gap is about 1/2 of the size of the gap on the 19502 production unit. I did have significant dust problems on the original even though I always holster in a slip case. So far, I am happy with the replacement. Will test for a few days before sending the original unit back. I anticipate dust problems on the new unit but will live with it.

Good luck to all of those who replace their original units. If you have a 19502 unit it may not be a bad idea to get a replacement if you are having any problems whatsoever while you still have the chance to get a new unit as opposed to refurb. YMMV
    12-31-08 03:07 PM
    My new phone should be on its way

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 03:09 PM
    I got a 19502 replacement from Mexico that works great. Manufactured December 12th. Fixed my screen click dust and lag issues. So much better than my first.
    I think regardless of the number the manufacturtng date shows better quality control from RIM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 03:16 PM
    Good to hear. I have 2 21009s (one from Mexico, one from Canada) and both have been great. Based on my very unscientific poll with a handful of responses, the 21009s seem to be much less prone to hardware issues. I also think the newer models have better qc.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/whe...issues-120063/
    12-31-08 03:16 PM
    Lol. I just received my replacement today as well. PRD 21009 as well. Did yours have .75?
    12-31-08 03:22 PM
    just to let you now just because its a higher number doesnt mean its a new model. i got a replacement yesterday that was dated 12-23 with the 1905 number and it works great as well
    12-31-08 03:23 PM
    I got a 19502 from Canada and I hate it. My first from Mexico was great...except one little spot. Now I have this canada crap.
    12-31-08 03:28 PM
    Similar experience. Got my original on 11/22, it was made in Canada and was a 19502 model. Don't recall the manufacture date, but obviously prior to 11/22. Bad clicking, light bleed, loose hard buttons. Got my replacement in a plain brown box yesterday - phone, SIM card, battery cover. This one's made in Mexico, is a 21009 model and was manufactured 12/22. Like the OP, it's labeled as an FRU, but had all new protective stickers on it so assume it's new and not a refurb. Hard buttons much better, screen more responsive. Still doesn't click as consistently across the screen as I think it should, but is much better than my original unit. Very happy with the replacement unit and am just sitting back waiting for the next official OS update from VZW.
    12-31-08 03:30 PM
    Lol. I just received my replacement today as well. PRD 21009 as well. Did yours have .75?
    Yes mine came with 0.75. The seal on the FRU brown box was broken assumed they flashed before sending out.

No matter I wiped and upgraded to 0.85 before using the device transfer wizard. Transfer went smooth but did take an hour or so.
    12-31-08 03:34 PM
    Similar experience. Got my original on 11/22, it was made in Canada and was a 19502 model. Don't recall the manufacture date, but obviously prior to 11/22. Bad clicking, light bleed, loose hard buttons. Got my replacement in a plain brown box yesterday - phone, SIM card, battery cover. This one's made in Mexico, is a 21009 model and was manufactured 12/22. Like the OP, it's labeled as an FRU, but had all new protective stickers on it so assume it's new and not a refurb. Hard buttons much better, screen more responsive. Still doesn't click as consistently across the screen as I think it should, but is much better than my original unit. Very happy with the replacement unit and am just sitting back waiting for the next official OS update from VZW.
    Agreed re: screen click. The new phone clicks as well as the old phone did post torx mod with exception of no crunch. Still not 100% uniform. It is a little harder to press at the bottom and top in the middle in portrait mode, but I think this is a design flaw that has not been addressed inherent in the storm. All of the storms I have played with have a little uniformity problem in these spots.....just to different degrees.
    12-31-08 03:36 PM
    Where can I find when and where it was made?

Thanks.
    Paul
    12-31-08 03:37 PM
    Where can I find when and where it was made?

Thanks.
    Paul
    Where made on sticker under battery.

Production date on sticker of box.
    12-31-08 03:39 PM
    Yes mine came with 0.75. The seal on the FRU brown box was broken assumed they flashed before sending out.

No matter I wiped and upgraded to 0.85 before using the device transfer wizard. Transfer went smooth but did take an hour or so.
    Got mine today and the seal was also broken. They myst be flashing them before shipping.
    12-31-08 03:46 PM
    I've been to the Verizon store twice and all they tell me is that the "latest" software upgrade is coming within a couple of weeks and it should repair ALL of the problems I've been having with the phone...HA! Problem is that by the time the software is available, my inital buy period (bought it 11/21) will have run out - and I don't want to run that risk.

Do I have to go through Verizon first before they send me to the Tech Support? Or does anyone have the tech support direct phone number for me to call directly?

Thanks!
    12-31-08 03:50 PM
    I've been to the Verizon store twice and all they tell me is that the "latest" software upgrade is coming within a couple of weeks and it should repair ALL of the problems I've been having with the phone...HA! Problem is that by the time the software is available, my inital buy period (bought it 11/21) will have run out - and I don't want to run that risk.

Do I have to go through Verizon first before they send me to the Tech Support? Or does anyone have the tech support direct phone number for me to call directly?

Thanks!
    There is a number for tech support direct I don't have it, do a search.

I just called *611 and navigated my way to the tech support guys. Was on the phone for less than 10 minutes. Was honest with the guy. He was aware of the problem I spoke about and even admitted that this was a common problem in early production units. He did ask if I had done a battery pull, told I had pulled my battery many times and that it seemed to be a hardware problem with the click screen. That was all he needed to hear.
    12-31-08 03:53 PM

Thanks!
    Call *611 from your cell go to BB Tech
    I got my replacement yesterday and I'm glad I did it. I didn't think my first phone had issues but after playing with my friends new storm at work I noticed her screen was much easier to type on. So... happy to say new phone clicks much better and no dust! I think calling and replacing doesn't hurt, you'll probably be happier with the new one.
    Oh first phone was from Canada and second phone from Mexico.
    My original is a Canada 19502 model made on 12/5. It has a slight click issue over the green send key and I believe a battery issue. Sometimes it lasts all day, sometimes only 1/2 day with the same use.

So I decided two days ago to order a replacement with the intent of sending back whichever one I don't like. I'm happy with my current phone but I wanted to make sure I wasn't settling for second best.

The new one arrived today, 19502 model from Mexico, 12/24 build date. So far all I have done is test the screen (even click everywhere, especially the corners) and shot one test pic on the camera, which seemed a little sharper and brighter. Build quality on both seem similar, no obvious differences on first look.

It is charging now, and I'll put it through its paces tomorrow to see if it is better. No way I'm going to put it into the field of battle on New Year's Eve. Regardless of which I ultimately keep, I'll be satisfied and I'll no longer wonder if another would be better.

It came with .75 installed, FWIW. I'll most likely install .85 prior to playing around.

John
    12-31-08 04:36 PM
    it has been discussed to death but the PRD 195 model is for retail. The prod 2100 is only for replacements. The fact that the 2100's are being reported to be built better I feel is somewhat as a mind over matter issue. People see a higher number, they feel it must be a newer and better model which is not the case here.
    12-31-08 04:51 PM
    Got mine first thing in am on launch day new in box 2100 model so what above post said may not be true saying 2100 units are for replacements
    12-31-08 05:17 PM
    it has been discussed to death but the PRD 195 model is for retail. The prod 2100 is only for replacements. The fact that the 2100's are being reported to be built better I feel is somewhat as a mind over matter issue. People see a higher number, they feel it must be a newer and better model which is not the case here.
    Got mine first thing in am on launch day new in box 2100 model so what above post said may not be true saying 2100 units are for replacements
    Agree with both. I think the quality of the unit you get has more to do with the build date than whether it's a 19502 or 21009 unit. Seems like most of the units with major issues were made in Canada in October/November. Later units from Mexico seem to not have the dust issue or as many screen clicking issues. Regardless, if you're thinking of exchanging one, I'd do it quickly before all the ones we're sending back starting re-entering the supply as refurbs.
    12-31-08 05:32 PM
    I got my first Storm on the first day it was available. I had the click screen problem and tried the business card behind the battery as well as the torx screw fix. Business card worked best. I dropped it on Christmas eve and the screen went bad. Got new one from Asurion on 12/29. It was brand new and worked great out of the box. The click works better then the original ever did. Haven't looked at where it was made but apparently they have gotten better.
    12-31-08 05:41 PM
    OMG my replacement came and not even a day.. my phone reboots when it pleases.. the worse part is my phone is made in mexico and also you have to take the battery out to reboot it fully. 2 hours later, reboot again. I still love it but having issues..
    12-31-08 07:07 PM
    OMG my replacement came and not even a day.. my phone reboots when it pleases.. the worse part is my phone is made in mexico and also you have to take the battery out to reboot it fully. 2 hours later, reboot again. I still love it but having issues..
    wipe, reload os, remove third party software. mine is very stable on 0.85.....so far....
    12-31-08 07:17 PM
    i do not see the build date on the box label can someone point it out to me? Thanks.
    01-01-09 01:58 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD