My blackberry storm is soooo slow. The only thing that I can maybe attribute it to is the theme. Can a theme make it slow?

I have memory on the phone and on the memory card. I installed a few themes and selected one and since then it has become slower. You unlock it, go to the phone, the browser, pretty much anything and it has to think about it. The little icon in the middle of the screen - the clock going around - it shows up a lot. Sometimes it can take up to a min to get the spinning clock to go away and get the application I want to come up.

Any thoughts, ideas?

v4.7.0.148

Application Memory - 0.0KB <---- COULD THAT BE IT?

Device Memory - Total - 879.2MB
    Free - 852.5MB

Media Card - Total - 7.3GB
    Free - 2.3GB
    06-08-09 12:12 PM
    do a battery pull to free up some memory and yes if your theme is big in size it may lead to be slower

also make sure your closing all your apps by

Blackberrybutton>Close
    06-08-09 12:15 PM
    The storm is slow enough, dont use a theme with it.
    06-08-09 12:24 PM
    I think I will try to switch themes (even though I really love this theme)
    06-08-09 12:25 PM
    switch you theme and then do the battery pull
    06-08-09 12:31 PM
    What theme are you using?
    06-08-09 12:32 PM
    A themes file size has NOTHING to do with how smooth it runs

Alot of themes run just as fast, if not faster than the default Theme, simply because they are optimized and made well.
    06-08-09 12:36 PM
    So check this out.
    Over the weekend I decided to wipe my device, why....memory leak of course. SLOWING DOWN MY STORM.
    I used the BB Swiss Army Knife to wipe the device. Got the 507...installed a clean .148 OS onto my handset. Now I'm reinstalling my 3rd party apps cause I really like my Storm Today Hidden Plus. Has nice hiding docks....nice eye candy people say ahhhh nice picture. They don't know it's a theme of course. Lo and behold memory is sinking like the stock market after a presidential election.
    I said what the hey, I'll use the precision zen that came with the device, swapped out the wallpaper for another picture, pulled the battery and Tadaaaa.
    Phone starts becoming very responsive. Application list scrolls more smoothly as well as the accelerometer performing like it was designed to. So now I get the idea to just delete that Hidden theme altogether. Did another battery pull.
    I pulled my device off the charger this morning and memory is outstanding. Around 40mB even now. The transitions are still very fluid.

Just my 0.02 cents......
    Kept my theme on the PC just in case later leaks seam to curb the theme issues we are all seeing.

Precision Zen

My Hidden Theme

~Michael~
    Last edited by MePascal; 06-08-09 at 01:10 PM.
    06-08-09 12:47 PM
    What theme are you using?
    I am using the iBerry Today Plus. I love it....
    06-08-09 01:04 PM
    06-08-09 01:05 PM
    I've always had trouble with themes. Why don't you delete them all and run the phone for a few days. Then add back just that one that you really like and see if there's a big performance difference.

Grey
    06-08-09 01:12 PM
    0 App Memory left? Wow...no wonder things are slow!

Themes--or any app, for that matter, need to be written in a fashion that minimizes memory use. Since many themes are developed by individuals who may have minimal expertise in such issues, the consequenses can be drastic.

I use AppleBerry Glass and see minimal impact on my Storm's memory. A simple test would be for you to delete all the themes you have except for the BB default one, and run your device with that for a couple of days. That way, you can see if it's the theme or some other app you might have installed.
    06-08-09 01:16 PM
    Will that make my App memory better? I really don't know much about what that is......

My BB Storm is my first BB.
    06-08-09 01:31 PM
    For the record, the .148 radio code seems to have slower landscape to portrait rotation with certain themes. I'm using iChrome and it slowed down on .148 quite a bit. Since running the .109 radio code and .148 java I don't have the theme slow down or the memory leaking that I had with .148. My signal strength is more consistent and I don't drop calls in the same area as I did with the .148 radio. I know .148 is "official" but for me the .sfi just didn't cut it at all...
    06-08-09 04:39 PM
    Ok, I have uninstalled a lot of apps and themes that I wasn't using. Now, I have 40MB of App Memory and it runs a lot smoother and faster!

Thanks guys!!
    06-09-09 03:19 AM
    Just make sure you download themes from trusted themers like KD and I ... the thing is people put out so many free themes but do they come with customer support? nahhh so you get what you pay for... like I have a video of Vivid one of my themes I made for speed - it works on .148 and people report that it works on .151 perfect and some people say it dont...some people even said it runs slow...yet my device doesnt have a magic memory unit haha so as video proof i let people see then they cant complain when they use it... I have like 20 themes installed that I make....

Everyone acts different in response and speed... I always just like all trusted theme devs make sure to resolve any issues we can via the program...but sometimes we cant fix things if we dont have the tools... Plazmic hasnt offered an update in awhile... hopefully soon we have something to fix any leaks if any...or anything for performance...

Batt pulls are always smart... I guess just dont listen to alot of people around here because theres a lot of trolls to steer your exploration off course... just try stuff yourself...

I hope this helps and remember to always look for themes that get updated that means they fix things...

Good Luck!
    06-09-09 04:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD