View Poll Results: Was This Review Helpful?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this was helpful for me

5 45.45%
  • No, I didn't get much out of this

6 54.55%
    Hello and Welcome!

****Disclaimer: This is an end user review only and as thus i cannot guarantee individual satisfaction of any product i review, only a thorough viewpoint from an unbiased third party. This products' capability to win you the prize, impress your mate or woo your boss is not implied or expressed!****

All reviews are based on testing executed on a Blackberry Storm 9530 OS updated from RIM (which is 4.7.75 current; no beta, cracked, or leaked OS) with 45mb free file memory (a few apps have been deleted, such as the sample pics, to gain memory), and 2-3 current profiles installed. This is to emulate as close as possible an experience most end users will have.

Introduction

Following is a thorough review from an end user standpoint of the Cipher Theme by JC Designs. We'll Explore the overall quality of the theme, its capability, fit and finish, highlight its successes and take a look at any possible bugs or compatibility issues. By Demand A link to each app reviewed is included in the review! (thanks mike240! )

Rating System

Ratings in catagories are assigned marks from 0 to 5 for satisfaction, with 0 being abysmal and 5 being absolutely outstanding. The scores are then tallied at the end for a total cumulitive score and verdict! Scoring categories are uniform allowing for differing product. This is to be as neutral and unbias as possible.

The Cipher Theme Overview
    Direct Link to Reviewed APP!

Cipher SideBar Xtreme - Themes BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

The Cipher is unique that i can find in that it is a side-dock scrolling Theme with the JC Designs customizable top right "clickable" icon. The overall feel of the theme is very modern, sleek, and original with striking fonts, alignment and layout. Background is customizable by wallpaper and custom profiles can be managed by the user as usual. The overall colors of the theme are slates, greys and dark blues.

In portrait mode the left scrolling side-dock will display up to 15 icons from the home icon menu, with order being customizable from positions 1-16 (16? yes! remember the unique top right customizable icon?). In portrait mode the home desktop features a "today" view of both calander and messages in the main body. In the top bar it features a large central clock with time and date, battery meter, signal meter, sound profile icon (clickable), alarm (hidden when off), and JC Designs unique customizable icon on the top right.

In landscape mode icons display in the non optional (as of yet) storm layout.

In both Landscape and portrait main icon menu view, the "touch highlight" is a white border highlight around the lower and sides of the icon selected (differing from the solid blue of the standard zen theme built it) by design of the theme.

Overall Quality Review

Ah, The Cipher! From its looks this theme has some very sweet digs going on! At first glance this theme looks outstanding! It looks sexy, clean, and well finished. It's color pallet is very well done, and its features are unique. After playing with a good amount of themes both free and paid for by a "professional builder," this one stands out. There are many unique features to this theme that recommend it, which we will explore.

Upon downloading and running it through the gauntlet the details emerge! On to the facts!

Capability:
    Rating 4 of 5

The Cipher Promises big by its looks, and delivers big upon testing. It has all the functions and features many camps call for. The scrolling sidebar layout is not only unique but upon thorough testing and exploring offers a VERY unique use to most. Although the side-dock does have a few LIMITED drawbacks, used properly the drawbacks are so small, and overshadowed by how GOOD the side-dock is, the drawbacks become trivial (see "Successes" and "bugs/quirks" for a thorough explanation). As always the top right custom icon is so smart, it should have been a standard in the OS build from the manufacturer (good work!). The custom "today" home screen with messages and calander is a quality touch that satisfies (allowing you to remove calander and message icon from the side dock! See successes for notes on the side dock for a thorough review).

Compatability:
    Rating: 4 of 5

Solid platform, with few issues being compatable with the current OS from RIM (4.7.75). When switching from the Preloaded zen to this theme, there are reletively few issues with complete theme conversion. Most notably this theme runs a bit slow. The overall speed of performance is somewhat slower than other themes. Most notably, when the main icon menu is opened (either by going landscape from home screen desktop, hitting the BB button, or clicking a file icon) returning to the home desktop screen has considerable lag (in the neighborhood of 8 seconds~!) This can be completely avoided by just SIMPLY holding down the back arrow button when exiting main icon menu back to home desktop. By doing simply this, the lag is cut to barely 2 seconds, which is only a SMIDGE longer than other themes reverting to home desktop. The only other note here is one feature is lost from the Preloaded zen theme: the ability to click anywhere on the home screen that has no icon to open the main icon menu screen. The BB button must now be used for this. HOWEVER! The reason i rated compatability at 4 is because of the unique side scrolling dock and how it overcomes this (see "Successes" and "Quirks/bugs" for full details).

Fit and Finish:
    Rating: 4.5 of 5

Very sleek and impressive overall look and feel. This theme has completely unique fonts, a very pleasing blend of colors and asthetics and an overall superb balance to its feel. The side dock is impeccable looking, the inobtrusive "today" icons of message and calender are placed perfectly and blend just right. The whole theme fits without any odd lines or weird clunky angles. The border highlight around the icons when in icon menu screen is very clean and upbeat. The modern feel to this theme makes it above the rest in terms of visual appeal. The finish is impressive, but could go just a notch further and it would be 5 of 5. The only slight area that could improve is the speed at which the side dock scrolls (currently good, but faster is better!).

Successes:
    Rating: 5 of 5!

Let's talk about the side dock! BIG win here for me! The dock has a very unique way of scrolling which is actually an improvement to the norm. To be specific, there are two ways to scroll the side dock: touch lightly and slide up or down and the dock scrolls, or tap on either the top or bottom of the side dock and it auto scrolls! To select an icon from the side dock tap it to bring it to the center position, and then click it!

I must stop right here to grab your face and get your attention: the reason the side dock is such a success is threefold:

1) It has up to 15 positions in it, completely dispensing with the need to access the main icon menu. Think about that. 16 icons customizable on that scrolling dock. With a little set up effort, every icon you use on a daily basis can be set to that dock. Never again will you have to access the icon menu, then the appliciation folder, and then the docs to go, and then.... blah, blah, blah. Get the drift?!

2) Because the "message" and "calender" icons are on the "today" desktop, you can eliminate those icons from the scrolling dock! More room for the exact apps you use every day!

3) The dock is scrollable by sliding or tapping. I can't stress that enough. Tap to center your choice on the dock, and then click it. Easy opperation with one hand is a must in my book.

The today home desktop is superb. it allows less icons on the side dock, and easy glance at the days' events. It blends in and is never an eyesore.

The top right customizable/cliackbale icon is another success, love it!

Quirks and bugs:
    Rating: 4 of 5

This one scores 4 of 5. The only things keeping this from a solid 5 are,

a) The frustrating LAG that occurs when exiting main icon menu to home desktop. 8 seconds is a long time! However! new testing and information from JC Designes has revealed that by SIMPLY holding down the back arrow key when exiting to home desktop, that lag is cut to around 2 seconds! Only marginally longer than other themes. Bravo on the update JC Designs and thanks! The side scrolling dock is amazing, but the quirk is to avoid that lag the side dock must be completely customized so that accessing every icon you use on a daily basis can be done without accessing the main icon menu. Strangely, that's also it's success though! By forcing me to think around the main icon menu, I ended up customizing the side scrolling dock and found i rarely ever access the main icon menu! So it's a quirk, yes, but also, one of its strengths. Keep in mind, if you place FOLDERS on the side scrolling dock, it WILL access those folders THROUGH the main icon menu, thus when you exit that folder you exit through the main icon menu, and hit the lag. TO AVOID THIS: Place only APP icons on the side dock, not folders, and always remember to HOLD DOWN THAT BACK ARROW BUTTON when exiting to the home desktop from the icon menu list and the lag is cut to around 2 seconds. With 15 positions available to customize you should be good to go!

b) The fact you lose the ability to "click" on non icon areas of the screen to acess the main icon menu, and now must use the BB button. Again though, due to the unique way the side dock forces you (for the better!) to rethink and set up that dock, you end up using that main icon menu rarely. Double sided sword there!

c) It does run a bit slower than other themes i have tested in its transitions.

*******Post note bugs: Occasional icon clashing upon theme switch; occasional issues with updates to "message" icon on "today" home desktop; occasional issues with updates to "calender" icon on "today" home desktop

I mention these bugs but will not count these bugs as a detraction from the score here as they are not the fault of the theme or creator, but issues because of the "beta" status of the themes coming out of Plazma. As such, i fully expect that JC Designs is fully aware and intends to update these as they have done in the past.*******

The tally:
    Total Rating: 21.5 out of a possible 25!

The Verdict:

Packing big features, that sexy and unique side scrolling dock with 16 positions and a super-smooth futuristic look, The cipher theme packs a one-two combo that makes it a solid win at 21.5 of 25! With a couple quick updates to speed up the scrolling of the dock and the lag issue exiting icon menu screen and this one would jump up to a 23 or higher!

Final Thoughts:

Love the look, Love the utility, Love the layout! Works on so many levels. Still getting stuck on that lag a bit. Hopefully John over at JC Designs stops in here to read and updates this theme to fix the few bugs here, and this theme could quite possibly be one of the best overall of any theme i have seen!

Great Purchase, Well Worth the money!
    Direct Link to Reviewd APP!

Cipher SideBar Xtreme - Themes BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store

Note: TEXT in red is edited to reflect new information from JC Designs, and has been tested to work effectively!

In conclusion, I hope everyone got something from this review! It always takes a good bit of time to put a program through the wringer from all angles to test its capability and durability, and then write up a full review that is informative and easy to understand.
    Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks For stopping by!

MrCbr
    Last edited by MrCbr; 03-11-09 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Edited to reflect new info from JC Designs!!!
    03-10-09 11:59 PM
    any pics???
    03-11-09 12:18 AM
    any pics???
    Pictures of the theme can be found in the app store, software section, themes, and look for the theme "Cipher" by "JC Designs"

It has full pics and a video of it in action!
    03-11-09 12:26 AM
    i would recommend atleast a link.
    03-11-09 04:38 AM
    So, Noted!

Direct Link to app now included!
    03-11-09 08:27 AM
    In Fact, it is now included at both the top AND bottom of the review!
    03-11-09 08:30 AM
    great job on the review!
    03-11-09 09:01 AM
    great job on the review!
    Thanks! I hope to be able to review posted available finished apps in this fashion regularly!

If anyone has input i'd love to hear it!
    03-11-09 11:46 AM
    Wow MrCbr, thank you for such an honest review from a user.. it is alway refreshing to hear how a user thinks of our work at JC Designs - Gadgetbean.com . We will be updating all our themes once the SDK goes final and hopefully we will earn that 23 out of your 25 points system -=)

Cheers

John
    JC Designs - Gadgetbean.com
    JC Designs Blackberry Themes
    03-11-09 07:06 PM

This one is unavoidable because if the phone is EVER tilted to landscape mode, the main icon menu is activated and you have to wait 7-8 seconds to get back to the main desktop.
    Wow.

This review is hard to comprehend. You are recommending a theme that has a 7-8 second delay when rotated.

Seriously?

Wow.
    03-11-09 07:15 PM
    Wow.

This review is hard to comprehend. You are recommending a theme that has a 7-8 second delay when rotated.

Seriously?

Wow.
    you missed the point on where that delay happens. and that's also the point of how good the side dock is, that once it is set up, you have no need to access the main icon menu. The review and recommendation are not based around one sole instance of a delay that is easily avoided, and very obviously part of the beta issues i am sure will be revised. This theme is by far one of the most outstanding.

I felt i was very clear on the instance where the delay happens. It is only when exiting the main icon menu and reverting to home desktop screen. Once the side dock is set up you rarely ever access that menu.

I'm sure it will be addresed and fixed. Honesty requires i include it in the review, and the rest of the theme far outshines this one little speed bump.

So YES, i recommend it!
    03-11-09 07:38 PM
    I like concept and looks of the Cipher theme, but it didn't work for me running on .109, which JC told me. SO, he gave me Storm Today plus, but I haven't DL, yet.
    03-11-09 08:37 PM
    I just want to make it clear to everyone that yes it doesnt run quite well on 109 as this theme was tested on my own Storm on 103 and .90 radio like all my other themes. The lag between that MrCbr talked about is from the Application Screen back to the Homescreen if you ever need to goto the APP screen that is. However if you do hold down the back button it will take you back in 3 secs as I have done test. This actually isnt a fault on the theme but on the device's processor itself since this is also present in the BOLD model where the Cipher SideBar Xtreme won top slots in the BOLD community. I dont demo any of my themes on a simulator but on a Real Device to show proof of how it runs in a Real World enviroment. A theme this packed can still run at this pace is actually a really good accomplishment with what we actually have to work with. I like to let people know once again, hopefully once the sdk goes final we will update our themes.

Cheers

John
    03-11-09 08:58 PM
    Great theme. My second or third purchase from JC. I use my theme in portrait view almost all of the time. The style and idea are new and functional, but there could be some improvements here and there. I can't say I would recomend the theme for purchase quite yet, it needs to be quicker and the scroll can't just select in the center.....sorry thats my biggest flaw ive found. But I am being picky you guys make great themes, I check for new ones everyday......just giving my half a cent.....
    03-11-09 09:28 PM
    I just want to make it clear to everyone that yes it doesnt run quite well on 109 as this theme was tested on my own Storm on 103 and .90 radio like all my other themes. The lag between that MrCbr talked about is from the Application Screen back to the Homescreen if you ever need to goto the APP screen that is. However if you do hold down the back button it will take you back in 3 secs as I have done test. This actually isnt a fault on the theme but on the device's processor itself since this is also present in the BOLD model where the Cipher SideBar Xtreme won top slots in the BOLD community. I dont demo any of my themes on a simulator but on a Real Device to show proof of how it runs in a Real World enviroment. A theme this packed can still run at this pace is actually a really good accomplishment with what we actually have to work with. I like to let people know once again, hopefully once the sdk goes final we will update our themes.

Cheers

John
    Hold down the back arrow to cut that speed bump down to 3 secs? That's perfect!

<runs off to test> If this is so, i'll be updating the review shortly!

Thanks!
    03-11-09 09:40 PM
    Hold down the back arrow to cut that speed bump down to 3 secs? That's perfect!

<runs off to test> If this is so, i'll be updating the review shortly!

Thanks!
    Tested and confirmed!! review updated to reflect new information, with edit note.

Score changed accordingly!

Thanks again JC Designs!
    03-11-09 10:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD