Good advice given here KD, listen to these guys, especially about wearing helmet, jacket and gloves. If offered in your area, the motorcycle safety course is money well spent (and in most states keeps you from having to take the driving part of the test when you get your motorcycle license).
    AWESOME!

Haha, and yea my deal is final on the 2006 ninja, I know I am biased, but I fell in love with that one so I can never look at another bike the same...yet... :P

But ya I got it for a steal and it is COMPLETELY cherry, looks just like the photo i posted a few posts ago, the big red one...and only $2400 dollars so I am psyched!

And do you know if california does the "take safety course and you dont have to drive on the test" part? Cause that would be nice :P lol
    04-29-09 11:12 AM
    And do you know if california does the "take safety course and you dont have to drive on the test" part? Cause that would be nice :P lol
    Yep. If you take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, it counts as the driving portion of the license test.

I believe the MSF classes also include use of a bike, so you don't have to wait for your new bike to arrive.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of riding in jeans or the Kevlar mesh stuff. I had a nasty get-off at about 45 MPH on the street a few years back, and my leathers (rs-Taichi one piece suit) definitely saved my skin, if not my life. I got banged up far worse than a couple of very fast track crashes I've had.

I'm surprised that Cody only spent $1500 on his drag racing gear. It's easy to spend almost that much on a helmet (Arai), gloves (Held), and boots (Sidi) alone. Of course, buying what you can afford, used, is better than being a squid riding in shorts and flip-flops.
    04-29-09 03:41 PM
    Yep. If you take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, it counts as the driving portion of the license test.

I believe the MSF classes also include use of a bike, so you don't have to wait for your new bike to arrive.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of riding in jeans or the Kevlar mesh stuff. I had a nasty get-off at about 45 MPH on the street a few years back, and my leathers (rs-Taichi one piece suit) definitely saved my skin, if not my life. I got banged up far worse than a couple of very fast track crashes I've had.

I'm surprised that Cody only spent $1500 on his drag racing gear. It's easy to spend almost that much on a helmet (Arai), gloves (Held), and boots (Sidi) alone. Of course, buying what you can afford, used, is better than being a squid riding in shorts and flip-flops.
    Thanks for the link, ill check it out ASAP...

and do you ahve any reccommendations then of what kind of materials i should be going for with gloves and jackets?

I have seen "Mesh" "Leather" and some other material i cant remember how to spell lol....
    04-29-09 03:49 PM
    and do you ahve any reccommendations then of what kind of materials i should be going for with gloves and jackets?

I have seen "Mesh" "Leather" and some other material i cant remember how to spell lol....
    Leather = the only stuff that protects like leather. Most suits have dual-layer body armor in the knees, elbows and shoulders, and neoprene padding in the back and hips.

Mesh = woven of Kevlar. Greater cooling, often has body armor similar to leather suits, but doesn't protect like leather.

Cordura = ballistic fabric. Used for everything from luggage to army boots. Often made into suits that fit over clothes kind of like mechanics' coveralls. Doesn't protect like leather.
    04-29-09 04:11 PM

I am not a big fan on mesh at all, I am however i am a fan of textile. I have personally witnessed a drag racing crash, Where the guy went down at 120 mph, he had on the new textile jackets, and leather pants ( the new textile jackets zip to the leather pants) he had basically no rash at all. The design on the jackets are top notch. I did get all my stuff pretty cheap and all of it was basically brand new (Ebay).
    04-29-09 05:41 PM
    I agree, there is no substitute for leather. Only reason I wear Jeans when I ride, is if I am heading to work. It isn't practical to wear my leather pants to work and my A* Vader Backpack is already full with my lunch, work clothes etc..
    04-29-09 08:37 PM
    I agree, there is no substitute for leather. Only reason I wear Jeans when I ride, is if I am heading to work. It isn't practical to wear my leather pants to work and my A* Vader Backpack is already full with my lunch, work clothes etc..
    Awesome, I just emailed the nearest Safety Rider Course and am going to get set up ASAP...crap I need to get another copy of my actual drivers license because it got lost when my wallet got stolen (I have been driving licensless for about 6 months now, LOL)
    04-29-09 08:45 PM
    i wish i would of saw this earlier... i would of went with the ninja 500... i just sold mine and it was a great starter bike... i'm not on my way to a 05 cbr600rr most likely
    04-30-09 12:00 AM
    KD, First, love your theme's. Yeah, my 600 was my first bike and I am about the same height as you but have a extra 40lbs on ya(6', 200). My 600 was a perfect first bike. After about a month though I was wishing I had gone bigger. I think if you are responsible and cautious while learning a 600 is fine, especially if you get a older bike like you said that does not have as much HP and Torque.
    05-06-09 10:55 AM
    KD, First, love your theme's. Yeah, my 600 was my first bike and I am about the same height as you but have a extra 40lbs on ya(6', 200). My 600 was a perfect first bike. After about a month though I was wishing I had gone bigger. I think if you are responsible and cautious while learning a 600 is fine, especially if you get a older bike like you said that does not have as much HP and Torque.
    Hi, thanks for the props :P

Ya i finalized a deal on a 06 250r ninja (u can see the pix a page back) and got my m1 permit like 4 days ago...

9 more days until i can get the motorcycle in my hands tho, have a security deposit on it to hold it until i get payed...ughghghghghh...what bike is in your avatar?
    05-06-09 10:58 AM
    Just a question but any reason why you didn't go with a 600.. I bought a R6s 07 brand new for my first bike and i love it.
    05-07-09 01:26 AM
    Hey KD, congrats on getting a bike. Gear, knowledge, and practice are extremely important. While expensive, your gear really falls into the "you get what you pay for" category. Bikes I've owned (in order) '86 FZ6000, '87 FZR 1000 (got stolen), '88 250 Ninja & finally an '88 CBR600.

Hit my MySpace link up in my CB profile for the heck of it. Comparing a 250 twin to any 600 inline four is like apples & oranges. The 250 for you (or anyone IMO) is a great starter bike & probably enough for anyone who's not doing track days. Get as much riding instruction as you can & be prepared to commit 100% of your attention while riding.

You have 2 e-mail addresses for me, feel free to use them!

~X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-09 06:21 AM
    You guys have great bikes!...I only own a Suzuki Raider JPro. That's my first bike. The one I use fro practice.
    07-18-12 06:15 PM
    Right..sometime you have to draw the line..
    07-26-12 11:34 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD