Hello

I am a new Blackberry storm owner and have never owned a bb before

I would like to change my theme on my new BB to the Seven today theme available through the forum.

I downloaded the Zip file which contains two files. One has the extension alx and the other has the extension cod and appears to be a plazmic theme file

I know I need to install the theme using the BB Desktop manager but it only sees the alx file

Research seems to indicate I need a plazmic reader but also says one should already be installed on my device as it's a newer model. I can't find it if it is but then again I really don't know where to look or how to find it

Would someone be kind enough to write a step by step process for this "Dummie" old lady?

Thanks
    02-17-09 12:01 PM
    connect bb to computer

open bb desktop manager

click add application

on that screen click "browse"

find alx file

install.

*that is what i just did to install the grunge theme*
    02-17-09 12:07 PM
    I have done exactly that and I still only see the original Precision Zen theme in the Options>Theme window.

Is there something else I should be doing to then change the theme?
    02-17-09 12:20 PM
    So when you go to options-theme, all you see is the original zen theme? I just installed the seven theme and it shows up just fine.

Try this:
    Connect your device to your computer.
    Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
    Click Application Loader.
    Click Next.
    If necessary, perform the following actions:
    If the Device Security Password dialog box appears, type your device password. Click Next.
    If the Communication Port Selection dialog box appears, specify a communications port. Click Next.
    Click Next.
    Perform any of the following actions:
    To add an application that appears in the list, select the check box beside the application.
    To add an application that does not appear in the list, click Add. Double-click an application loader (.alx ) file.
    Click Next.
    Click Finish.

I no this what you basically were told to do and did, but maybe you missed a step or clicked the wrong file.
    02-17-09 12:59 PM
    when i searched the theme in desktop manager, i found it but its in rar. file? i get error on screen and nothing happens.
    02-17-09 01:40 PM
    You need to extract the file out of the rar file. Extract the folder within the RAR to your desktop or something and try again.
    02-17-09 01:54 PM
    but i'm dumb... how do i do that?
    02-17-09 02:03 PM
    Double click on the .rar file. You want the .alx file.
    02-17-09 02:06 PM
    Thank you jpalm. Your directions did the trick.

Love my new theme.
    02-17-09 04:40 PM
    .....my Desktop manager still says it cant find it....even after extracting it.
    02-17-09 05:17 PM
    Hi

I'm lost as well. I'm on a mac. No desktop manager. Just pocket mac? I really would like a new theme though.

Help please

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 10:40 PM
    Bump

i DL couple of theme links and i got JAD files

how do i install that on my storm
    thx
    04-02-09 02:45 PM
    Bump

i DL couple of theme links and i got JAD files

how do i install that on my storm
    thx
    .jad is for OTA (over the air) installation..
    meaning you have to click the download link from your phone browser.

as far as desktop install
    i tryed changing the extension to .alx
    didnt work... so i kinda need instructions aswell.
    04-15-09 01:43 AM
    If possible, rather than install from the desktop, you could try an OTA (that means Over The Air, or wireless download) of a theme.

If you can find an OTA link of a theme you want (it usually is a web address that ends in .jad) you use the Storm's browser to go to the link, and select "Download" when prompted.

It should then show up in your themes selections.
    04-15-09 09:41 AM
    What if it doesn't show up in the themes selections?
    I know it downloaded bc I can find it under Options/Advanced Options/Applications and it will give all the info of the theme that I downloaded but I can't figure out how to make it work.
    I used an OTA link if that makes anydifference...
    04-01-10 05:54 AM
    it maybe a 5.0 theme and you are running an older version of the blackberry os.this might be the reason you are unable to see it in the themes menu.
    04-02-10 11:45 PM
    Okay, I have a jad file and a lot of cod files for my theme.
    Can I upload it somewhere, and point my blackberry browser to the jad, and install the theme? Will that work?
    08-11-11 07:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD