View Poll Results: Which version of :|: elle :|: would you liked updated to 5.0 first?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic Edition

61 19.87%
  • Weather Edition

72 23.45%
  • QuickLaunch Edition

24 7.82%
  • Weather + MeterBerry Edition

34 11.07%
  • Weather + Quicklaunch Edition

51 16.61%
  • Weather + MeterBerry + QuickLaunch Edition

65 21.17%
    I have to agree. I don't like the "feature" either. Especially if you have a light background, you won't be able to see the icon or text below. Also, I don't like the resizing of the picture in landscape mode. I included some screen shots of what it looks like for me. (Forgive the icons, I am normally OCD about organized icons and such but this DL scattered them out and all that.)

This is a perfect example, thanks for posting!
    12-22-09 02:34 PM
    Hey everyone,

Yeah, this is why I made that post (one page back, I think) saying I wish this was an OPTION for us to turn on or off. It's stuff like this that some people might love (say, for example, you use a dark wallpaper that is just a simple pattern or something -it'd look great), and for others, it'll be horrible.

I just finished up my real work at work, and now I have 40 minutes until I'm off the clock. Going to load up this new OS and start trying to figure out what made the "old" (currently released) elle do this, and how I can be sure this doesn't happen in the new ones.
    12-22-09 03:22 PM
    Scratch that, forgot I hadn't downloaded it yet on this computer, and school network is taking FOREVER to download it... won't have time. I'll get it tested tonight and let you all know how the new 5.0 files will act on it...
    12-22-09 03:36 PM
    Man, I reloaded my OS like 5 times thinking I was loading a glitch due to the constantly showing wallpaper. I hope you can fix this.
    12-22-09 10:04 PM
    Ok, here's the deal...

Loaded up the new OS, installed one of the "near-ready" 5.0 themes on it, and gave it a try.
    SUCCESS! The wallpaper/application list screen issue is NOT there. The application list background will REMAIN black, regardless of what you set your homescreen wallpaper to.

This appears to be an issue in themes compiled with the 4.7 theme dev software, based solely on the fact that all of my 4.7 themes seemed to do it, and the 5.0 ones don't.

Hopefully this makes everyone happy
    12-23-09 09:46 AM
    Sweet, glad it's working! No Storm2 love yet?
    12-23-09 10:04 AM
    Won't be long now until it's S2 ready.
    12-23-09 10:16 AM
    Well, working on it, but getting the simulator downloaded right now, and like yesterday, school network is incredibly slow. So, waiting on that (I'm working @ my school in IT over break), but I've started a little bit. Needing to get the adjustments written down for the pixel movements that way it goes quickly for all of the versions... I'll get that set up correctly (hopefully) before I release at all
    12-23-09 10:17 AM
    Won't be long now until it's S2 ready.
    QFT!

[10 char]
    12-23-09 10:18 AM
    Glad to see some progress Aug. Quick question, how do you go about testing the Storm2 version w/out actually having a Storm2?
    12-23-09 10:19 AM
    Glad to see some progress Aug. Quick question, how do you go about testing the Storm2 version w/out actually having a Storm2?
    Still waiting on one of you to send me one to use for testing

Haha actually, no (well I mean, that would be great...). Device simulators - so I can actually simulate a Storm2 running on my computer, and load the theme up to it. That way, I can see how it works. When it's time to release it, there is a donor who has always been a great tester for me in the past. Typically, I release "beta" files out to all of my donors (like the current stuff that's out there) to test before I do a full release. But, since the donors have had the "beta" files for a LONG time while non-donors have been in the dark, I'll probably just use a buddy of mine who has a Storm2, has tested for me before, and is great at screen shots. I'll know exactly what he needs to look at, and it should take him less than a day to test all of the files once I get them to him... at that point, he'll be able to let me know what (if anything) needs to be fixed... and I'll hopefully get it fixed that same day, then confirm the accuracy and release

Though, I must say... it really WOULD be much easier if someone just shipped their Storm2 out to me... next day air would be preferable
    12-23-09 10:26 AM
    QFT!

[10 char]
    I would love to know what that means.
    12-23-09 11:08 AM
    Quoted for truth.
    12-23-09 11:50 AM
    Exactly right: QFT = quoted for truth. It means, I quoted you because you're definitely correct. Storm2 versions are very close... the transformation from S1 to S2 wasn't exactly easy, but I didn't have to rebuild the theme from the bottom up, like I was anticipating. Things have been going very smoothly today... let's just hope that the simulator from RIM for the Storm2 is accurate: sometimes, I have seen where the S1 simulator looked one way, and the actual S1 device acted another way. Cross your fingers that it is not the same with the S2... because that would throw me way off!
    12-23-09 11:52 AM
    +1 concerning the simulator bit.

I think the communication break downs between the devices and the simulators are more than likely caused by the OS on the device. The simulator has no way of being updated to a different OS (as far as I know). I have been wrong before.
    12-23-09 11:59 AM
    Ok, here's the deal...

Loaded up the new OS, installed one of the "near-ready" 5.0 themes on it, and gave it a try.
    SUCCESS! The wallpaper/application list screen issue is NOT there. The application list background will REMAIN black, regardless of what you set your homescreen wallpaper to.

This appears to be an issue in themes compiled with the 4.7 theme dev software, based solely on the fact that all of my 4.7 themes seemed to do it, and the 5.0 ones don't.

Hopefully this makes everyone happy
    When are you upping the S1 5.0 compatible version? Or is it up now?
    12-23-09 01:30 PM
    When are you upping the S1 5.0 compatible version? Or is it up now?
    Not up now... not ready to go yet. Doing some parallel development right now S1 and S2 files are each in private tests at the moment
    12-23-09 01:58 PM
    ETA:

Soon, not today, most likely not tomorrow, maybe Christmas...
    12-23-09 01:59 PM
    Aug is gonna surprise us with a present for Christmas day!! COOL!!
    12-23-09 03:43 PM
    What a great present. My family is not going to be happy about me hovering around the laptop all day waiting for it though!

Can't wait.
    12-23-09 04:58 PM
    What a great present. My family is not going to be happy about me hovering around the laptop all day waiting for it though!

Can't wait.
    +1
    Same here.
    12-23-09 05:26 PM
    ETA:

Soon, not today, most likely not tomorrow, maybe Christmas...
    Will this be the regular or donor version?
    12-23-09 11:05 PM
    Donors, as always, can expect a slight heads-up before non-donors Just ever so slight though... non donors, no worries, you'll have it very soon!

Consider it a "soft opening," so that if there's a problem, my donors (ever so kindly) let me know, and I fix it (quickly, hopefully) before EVERYONE gets it...

Donors, links coming SOON for S1! And following shortly after for S2!
    12-23-09 11:13 PM
    If there are any donors awake watching the thread, hang in there a few more minutes with me.
    12-23-09 11:57 PM
    im awake lol....i know you have been working supper hard on this to get it perfect. I am sure the BB community will be grateful for the finished product.
    12-24-09 12:09 AM
1,521 ... 5556575859 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD