View Poll Results: Which version of :|: elle :|: would you liked updated to 5.0 first?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic Edition

61 19.87%
  • Weather Edition

72 23.45%
  • QuickLaunch Edition

24 7.82%
  • Weather + MeterBerry Edition

34 11.07%
  • Weather + Quicklaunch Edition

51 16.61%
  • Weather + MeterBerry + QuickLaunch Edition

65 21.17%
    Dont get me wrong, though, I absolutely love it! It could be just because of all the themes/apps I have and being on .148..

But, I still recommend this theme every chance I get. Its even in my sig
    Thanks Boosted - I appreciate that! And I am happy you like it! The memory leak DOES always concern me though, as I spent TONS of time making sure that the themes are leak free, and I even use that as an "advertisement" if you check out the images in my first post - so I want to make certain it's true.

The interesting thing about the memory leaks is that they're VERY hard to pin down. My post up above a few shows that. Another interesting thing is that all of these themes have proven to be stable (there was one that we weren't sure about - one of the beta themes, but it's been resolved we THINK - still testing). There weren't really any talk of leaks until these later OSs started coming out... I really do think it's tied to the battery life, and tons of testers have confirmed that both privately and publicly in this thread.

What kind of leak are you having - how much and in how much time? In other words, how severe is it? Can you give me numbers? Thanks so much!

-Aug
    08-14-09 09:35 AM
    Again, this memory leak is NOT in the theme. This has been verified many times. If you read throughout the thread (I know there is a LOT of stuff in here), you will find that the theme was thought to have a leak - but it in fact does not. The issue is thought to have something to do with battery life and the OS. Try this: charge your phone to 100%, and do a battery pull. Now unplug your phone, and your memory will stay stable while the battery level is high. Watch the memory being to drop once your battery hits a lower level. It's something I witnessed many times in my testing, and upon my reports and theories, it was confirmed by other beta testers to be the case. It seems to be an issue with later OS's and the memory management once battery levels get low. My thoughts are that the new (and improved) memory management "slacks off" once the battery gets lower - because the memory management consumes a bit more battery life, so it likely "slows down" when the battery gets lower.

Of course, the other possibility for your leak is a bad 3rd party app, bad OS load, or corrupted restore data.

Im thinking its MeterBerry actually.. Since its always changing and logging data..
    08-14-09 09:37 AM
    Well its actually pretty bad. But its weird too..

Boots at 33mb.. Within 15mins it drops to 30mb.. Within the hour its at 28-29mb..

It will then usually climb back to 30-31mb.. But, it will fall again within 15-30mins to 28-29mb.

Within 3 hours I am usually around 19-20mb, from there occasionally it seems to jump all the way back to 30mb, but quickly falls below 17mb. Thats when I hit the recover memory button and it goes back to around 26mb.. This is a constant battle throughout the day, and usually results in one or more quickpull..
    08-14-09 09:41 AM
    Im going to try and upload a pic of my MB logs for you real quick starting from today around 7am..
    08-14-09 09:47 AM
    Its usually worse than this, but I have literally had 4-5 emails and maybe 10 txts so far, and no browser/apps usage at all..

And the current log after I potsed this is 10:50am 22.7mb

11:05am 19.9mb
    Last edited by BoostedStorm; 08-14-09 at 10:01 AM.
    08-14-09 09:50 AM
    Yeah, that .15.x mb drop is pretty severe - not sure what's going on there, but I really think it's got to be a rogue 3rd party app or OS issues (or bad data restore) - I'm not sure. Typical memory stats are down 2-5 mb throughout a 24 hour period, so obviously nothing like you're reporting! What apps do you have installed? Again, it could also be corrupted data (the stuff you would see if you were to do a manual backup or restore of phone data), that has been known to cause leaks... Thanks for posting the log!
    08-14-09 10:03 AM
    Themes on standby: current *elle-wbmbql*
    iBerry v3.0, Precision Zen, Sleek Pro - Hidden Dock, Winberry 7 Ultimate Storm, Precision Zen Remix - Quick Launch

Current Apps: MeterBerry, Quick Launch, ProTranslateLite, QuickPull, StormSlider, CrackBerry, YouMail, TalkLock, Whippoh, Slacker, UberTwitter, USAA, BerryAddon

However, the ONLY 3rd party app that actually runs int he back ground and can be accessed by holding the BB button is TalkLock... While MB is running and updating its never in the App list with all the Native Apps and TalkLock. Also, YouMail has been denied all permissions for the past three days.
    08-14-09 10:07 AM
    Ran the Weather version for 5 days. Keyboard letters out of alignment on intitial editing for SMS and emails... Re-rendering from landcape to portrait image ghosts. Still has memory leaks.
    Sorry.
    Sounds like hardware issues and/or a bad OS install. Try wiping your device and reinstalling your current OS, if you're on .148, then upgrade to .151.

The elle theme has absolutely no memory leaks, especially due to the small size, as far as the keyboard alignment; a theme can't change that, but an OS can.
    08-14-09 11:52 AM
    Themes on standby: current *elle-wbmbql*
    iBerry v3.0, Precision Zen, Sleek Pro - Hidden Dock, Winberry 7 Ultimate Storm, Precision Zen Remix - Quick Launch

Current Apps: MeterBerry, Quick Launch, ProTranslateLite, QuickPull, StormSlider, CrackBerry, YouMail, TalkLock, Whippoh, Slacker, UberTwitter, USAA, BerryAddon

However, the ONLY 3rd party app that actually runs int he back ground and can be accessed by holding the BB button is TalkLock... While MB is running and updating its never in the App list with all the Native Apps and TalkLock. Also, YouMail has been denied all permissions for the past three days.
    I see you're on .148, if you upgrade to .151 you'll see minimal leakage, back when I ran .148 it was slightly stable, but still dropped my memory fairly low, on .151 on the elle theme my memory starts at 46mb, drops to 40mb, and fluctuates from 40-44mb. If you want to be a rebel and try 5.0.0.140 then you'll find no memory leaks at all. Unless of course caused by a badly written 3rd party application.
    08-14-09 11:56 AM
    Thx again leecott - you're spot on correct.

Boosted - I'm not 100% certain about a lot of those apps - haven't used many of them - but I think I counted 13. While some apps don't show up using the BB button to launch the active app list, they can still drain some memory at times. Not sure if that's it though. Also, I can't vouch for this fact as I don't understand it, but it's been said before that having too many themes installed at one time (not even running, just installed), can cause leaks. I don't understand how that works, but I've always read to have no more than 3 installed at once. I only keep one installed, and if I want to switch, I download the next one, delete the old one, etc. etc.

I still don't know though, as I said, it's very hard to pin down a leak. It is not uncommon for me to wipe my entire device and only load things back 1 by 1, 1 day at a time, to isolate a leak.
    08-14-09 12:01 PM
    I see you're on .148, if you upgrade to .151 you'll see minimal leakage, back when I ran .148 it was slightly stable, but still dropped my memory fairly low, on .151 on the elle theme my memory starts at 46mb, drops to 40mb, and fluctuates from 40-44mb. If you want to be a rebel and try 5.0.0.140 then you'll find no memory leaks at all. Unless of course caused by a badly written 3rd party application.
    Once again, another great point. Go to 151 and you'll have better results across the board. Only issues with it is that some of your other themes may not work - not sure if they've been updated to work with 151 (although all of the elle themes are compatible!).

5.0.0.140 you won't have leak most likely, but you will probably have message notification icons. The 5.0 OS changed the API for message notification alerts, and it broke notifications in a lot of stuff - including themes. We need a new version of Plazmic for 5.0 development.
    08-14-09 12:05 PM

I still don't know though, as I said, it's very hard to pin down a leak. It is not uncommon for me to wipe my entire device and only load things back 1 by 1, 1 day at a time, to isolate a leak.
    Best way to do it right there. But most likely boosted if you were just to wipe your device [DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP 3RD PARTY APPS!!!!] then it should solve a lot of issues you had, even if you were just to reload your current OS.
    08-14-09 12:13 PM
    Well... I hate to say it bud, but the issue is definitely 100% not the theme. Every single version I have released has been THOROUGHLY tested and approved by myself as well as my testers. load NOTHING but the theme - no third party apps, no other themes,

I hate to be harsh, but frankly, these issues you're reporting at 100% for sure NOT related to the themes. I don't want potential users being scared to use the theme based on your reports, so I want to clarify 100% for certain that these issues have no tie whatsoever to the theme. The user has a bad OS load or corrupted restore data which is causing issues on his device - it could even be something else, but it is for sure not the theme.

Thanks for your feedback and I'm glad you're honest enough to report back even if it's "bad news" for me - I'm just glad that there are no "real" issues here, and the problems are all things that are localized to your device, and fixable (most likely) but a new OS load, and losing the corrupted data.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think the phone salesman has sold the whole company (that I work for) a low end batch of phones. The administrator is very close to dumping the whole show for iphones on another carrier due to hardware issues.

Thanks again.
    08-14-09 12:50 PM
    Aug id like to show you one more screen shot, I did a quick pull, and gave some more time for mem logging.. heres the results..
    08-14-09 01:28 PM
    Im looking in.. Hard to do the learning I need when there are 2,100+ posts in a single thread haha.. I simply cannot lose mms/slacker/youtube(streaming)

Boosted - I'm not 100% certain about a lot of those apps - haven't used many of them - but I think I counted 13. While some apps don't show up using the BB button to launch the active app list, they can still drain some memory at times. Not sure if that's it though. Also, I can't vouch for this fact as I don't understand it, but it's been said before that having too many themes installed at one time (not even running, just installed), can cause leaks. I don't understand how that works, but I've always read to have no more than 3 installed at once. I only keep one installed, and if I want to switch, I download the next one, delete the old one, etc. etc.

Ill see if I can't back them up, id rather not lose them and have to buy them again if for whatever reason I wanted to go back to one. :/

Best way to do it right there. But most likely boosted if you were just to wipe your device [DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP 3RD PARTY APPS!!!!] then it should solve a lot of issues you had, even if you were just to reload your current OS.
    Should be able to do this Sunday. Hopin for the best. =]
    08-14-09 01:34 PM
    Ill see if I can't back them up, id rather not lose them and have to buy them again if for whatever reason I wanted to go back to one. :/

Should be able to do this Sunday. Hopin for the best. =]
    There's a thread in the Storm FAQ section on how to back up third party apps, I can tell you from having to do it:
    First load up desktop manager, go to device switch wizard, uncheck every option but the one that says 3rd party apps, start the switcher, then when it says next just exit out and you should have a backup to the destination that you saved it to. But if you can pull up the thread it's more in depth than my quick summary.

And good luck to you with the wipe, don't forget to back up your info also with the backup feature on DM.
    08-14-09 01:38 PM
    Im looking in.. Hard to do the learning I need when there are 2,100+ posts in a single thread haha.. I simply cannot lose mms/slacker/youtube(streaming)
    As for the mms, it shouldn't be a problem, everytime I go to send a pic message [] it always goes through with no problems, as for slacker to my knowledge I think it works on .151, as for youtube the streaming works very well on the mobile site. I'm not sure about the program as I dropped it from my app list LONGGGGG ago.
    08-14-09 01:40 PM
    Just a quick FYI - I never back up my 3rd party apps. I reload new OSs all the time, and NEVER back up my third party apps. I always re-download fresh. I just go back to where I got them (such as mobihand, or the crackberry app store), and send the link back to my phone. Even apps with activation codes work fine, as the activation is tied to the PIN on your phone - which is in turn tied in to your hardware, not the OS. Where did you buy your apps?
    08-14-09 01:46 PM
    Cool thnx lee, ya I don't use youtube app just mobile site.

Aug I got them mostly from ota links and the paid ones through cb app store. Your right it should let me re dl them.. I'll make a list and shortcut to them all before I go thru with it.

Oh ok so 151 should work for me than (hopefuLly) but do you mean mexicos 151 or lyrics hybrid 151.. I'm still no expert on all the OS out, trying hard though. Its very hard to commit undivided attn that it really needs so yoy can truly understand it. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 02:24 PM
    Haha no problem. Just check out lyricidal's thread for his 151 beta. Best OS out there and lots of good support in there.

08-14-09 03:59 PM
    Haha no problem. Just check out lyricidal's thread for his 151 beta. Best OS out there and lots of good support in there.

I'm still scared of hybrids, maybe because after all the reading I'm still not sure how to load one, I guess I just don't want to risk it?

But many people say hybrids are the way to go, I'm not really sure.
    08-14-09 04:34 PM
    Cool thnx lee, ya I don't use youtube app just mobile site.

Aug I got them mostly from ota links and the paid ones through cb app store. Your right it should let me re dl them.. I'll make a list and shortcut to them all before I go thru with it.

Oh ok so 151 should work for me than (hopefuLly) but do you mean mexicos 151 or lyrics hybrid 151.. I'm still no expert on all the OS out, trying hard though. Its very hard to commit undivided attn that it really needs so yoy can truly understand it. Lol

And Aug is right yet again [as always], wipe it and just redownload all the 3rd party apps. When I wiped my device I forgot to, but I guess that was for the better, because I easily got all my 'paid for' apps back in the same day.
    08-14-09 04:35 PM
    I'm still scared of hybrids, maybe because after all the reading I'm still not sure how to load one, I guess I just don't want to risk it?

But many people say hybrids are the way to go, I'm not really sure.
    I know what you mean. I was scared to do a leak as well but after I bricked my phone three times I finally got the hang of it and love it. The steps to unbrick I think were easier than to load the hybrid. Good luck tho.

08-14-09 04:57 PM
    Those are beautiful. I wish they worked on the 8900!
    08-14-09 05:35 PM
    awesome pictures!
    08-15-09 10:53 AM
1,521 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD