View Poll Results: Which version of :|: elle :|: would you liked updated to 5.0 first?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic Edition

61 19.87%
  • Weather Edition

72 23.45%
  • QuickLaunch Edition

24 7.82%
  • Weather + MeterBerry Edition

34 11.07%
  • Weather + Quicklaunch Edition

51 16.61%
  • Weather + MeterBerry + QuickLaunch Edition

65 21.17%
    I don't have BBM
    07-20-09 05:24 PM
    Wow, glad you're enjoying it and not having any memory leak! Do you mind me asking what apps you have installed on your phone? And also, do you have the BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 leak on your phone?

I only ask because I'm trying to find out the reason why SOME users are leaking (myself included) with the new beta files, and others (like you!) aren't leaking any memory.

If I can't figure out the culprit, I'm going to have to rework these beta files somehow to try to get the leak out.

Thanks a lot, this info is very helpful to me!
    Aug, are the leaks you're referring to happening on all versions of the beta files, or just the glow icons? I stopped using the glow icons version after 24 hours and jumped on the split inboxes bandwagon (which I'm loving), and I've lost only about 6MB total over the course of more than 48 hours. No BBM 5.0 on my phone. For the 24 hours I was on glow icons, I also experienced no notable leaking. I can switch back to that version if you're looking for more extensive data.
    07-20-09 05:27 PM
    Wow, glad you're enjoying it and not having any memory leak! Do you mind me asking what apps you have installed on your phone? And also, do you have the BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 leak on your phone?

I only ask because I'm trying to find out the reason why SOME users are leaking (myself included) with the new beta files, and others (like you!) aren't leaking any memory.

If I can't figure out the culprit, I'm going to have to rework these beta files somehow to try to get the leak out.

Thanks a lot, this info is very helpful to me!
    I have the BBM 5.0 leak and my memory runs fine. I hover round +/- 2MB difference of my start-up memory all day. Sometimes higher, but never lower than 2MB. I'm running the WBST edition if that makes a difference....
    07-20-09 05:32 PM
    Also, this probably goes without saying at this point in the BB Storm experience, but those who are experiencing a memory leak with the betas, be sure that you are doing a battery pull (or at least a software reset) after switching between versions, even if they were already installed -- I've noticed with every theme, no matter what it is, that there is some leaking that occurs after you switch themes. This appears to be related to the BB OS itself and the way it handles a transition from one theme to another (probably just forgets to release memory that was tied up by the previous theme or something to that effect), not with the new theme itself. I had some leaking (as always) each time when I switched to one of the beta versions, but a reboot fixed it right up.
    07-20-09 05:53 PM
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you're liking it - and that you were able to break away from Zen! And you know what - you're right about the landscape view. Those need to be moved over to match the portrait view. I really appreciate your input!

As far as the "Blackberry Messeng..." I don't think I'm able to do anything about that I could make the text smaller so it would all fit, but I don't think there's anything else in my power to fix that I'm sorry!

Send an email to RIM and tell them to change the name of "Blackberry Messenger" to "BBM" and we won't have a problem

If anyone thinks of a way to fix that issue, definitely let me know - I'm open to learning
    Auggie

I think I have this leak. Reverted back the original and memory stabilized.
    PM me tomorrow and i'll send some log files

Mike

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 05:58 PM
    Also, this probably goes without saying at this point in the BB Storm experience, but those who are experiencing a memory leak with the betas, be sure that you are doing a battery pull (or at least a software reset) after switching between versions, even if they were already installed -- I've noticed with every theme, no matter what it is, that there is some leaking that occurs after you switch themes. This appears to be related to the BB OS itself and the way it handles a transition from one theme to another (probably just forgets to release memory that was tied up by the previous theme or something to that effect), not with the new theme itself. I had some leaking (as always) each time when I switched to one of the beta versions, but a reboot fixed it right up.
    The only time I ever experienced a persistent leak, was due to a leaky theme.
    Now, I've seen memory drop going from a them that uses more memory to one that uses less, but after a little time goes by it recovers it.
    Other then that I can switch between "good" themes all I want and never see a memory leak.
    07-20-09 10:12 PM
    Aug just did another log on the beta one we were talking about earlier today. So far in 5 hours Ive only lost about 2 MB. I had to do a reset from within Meterberry today because it got down to about 14 MB and I started with 30. I really like this theme especially with my new wallpapers but willing to revert back if I notice any major leaks tonight.

Like I said it lost 14 MB in literally 1 hour today which was weird, since I had it holstered and no apps running except the usual ones.

Ohh well, It's still my one and only theme so I am perfect with what it is.
    07-20-09 10:35 PM
    Now, I've seen memory drop going from a them that uses more memory to one that uses less, but after a little time goes by it recovers it.
    Other then that I can switch between "good" themes all I want and never see a memory leak.
    Eh, I guess it's just one of those things that varies from device to device.

For me, if I switch back and forth between two "good" themes (say, two of the released versions of Elle), each time I switch from one to the other, some noticeable chunk of memory (in the order of 5MB) becomes tied up and doesn't get released. Or if it does get released, it leaks away within the first hour or so. Three or four switches later, and I'm down 20MB. But if I reboot the phone, then that theme itself doesn't leak at all.
    07-21-09 01:01 AM
    Aug, are the leaks you're referring to happening on all versions of the beta files, or just the glow icons? I stopped using the glow icons version after 24 hours and jumped on the split inboxes bandwagon (which I'm loving), and I've lost only about 6MB total over the course of more than 48 hours. No BBM 5.0 on my phone. For the 24 hours I was on glow icons, I also experienced no notable leaking. I can switch back to that version if you're looking for more extensive data.
    Wow - not sure what happened, but I wasn't getting updates on replies to the trhead. Sorry it's taken so long to get back.

Thanks for the info - I am not sure which versions are being reported as leaky... I've downloaded each version myself, and I am testing every one of them out personally, since I am seeming to get so many conflicting reports. One person leaks on version X, and another doesn't. I totally beleive everyone, I just can't figure it out - so I'm going to test myself and see what happens.

Glow icons have had pretty good feedback so far as far as memory stability.

I want to make it clear though, for anyone thinking about downloading this - these are the BETA files we're discussing - the public versions that are listed in this thread are totally 100% stable without any glitches
    07-21-09 11:40 AM
    I have the BBM 5.0 leak and my memory runs fine. I hover round +/- 2MB difference of my start-up memory all day. Sometimes higher, but never lower than 2MB. I'm running the WBST edition if that makes a difference....
    Thanks Ivy! That does help I'm trying to isolate which specific versions are leaking, so your input is useful! Thanks so much
    07-21-09 11:41 AM
    Thanks kf! That's an important point - I always do AT LEAST 1 battery pull after a theme switch, sometimes 2-3. Although, I'm sorry to say, that even with these battery pulls, I was still experiencing leak myself on a personal customized version that I had created. So, I'm confident that SOMETHING is leaking somewhere, I just need to isolate the versions, compare the modifications, and/or rebuild the leaky versions from scratch to remove the leaks (hopefully).

Thanks
    07-21-09 11:43 AM
    Auggie

I think I have this leak. Reverted back the original and memory stabilized.
    PM me tomorrow and i'll send some log files

Mike

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks Mike! I sent you an email today (I think it was you, anyway, always hard to link up real names with CB names with emails, lol). I'll PM you as well. By the way, which beta version were you leaking in?

And yeah, I'm totally happy the public versions don't leak. Phew. That way, we can always go back to those when we need stability.
    07-21-09 11:45 AM
    Yeah, luckily, that's why these leaks are only existent the beta files, and why they have not yet been released. If you need stability, definitely stick to the public versions everyone - the beta files are just that - beta. And, as with any beta, they are not guaranteed to be stable yet. Using the beta files means that you're willing to take part in the beta test

If you want to make sure you don't have a memory leak, go back to the advertised public themes in the thread, and then you'll have a "good" theme back
    07-21-09 11:48 AM
    Aug just did another log on the beta one we were talking about earlier today. So far in 5 hours Ive only lost about 2 MB. I had to do a reset from within Meterberry today because it got down to about 14 MB and I started with 30. I really like this theme especially with my new wallpapers but willing to revert back if I notice any major leaks tonight.

Like I said it lost 14 MB in literally 1 hour today which was weird, since I had it holstered and no apps running except the usual ones.

Ohh well, It's still my one and only theme so I am perfect with what it is.

Thanks Bryan! That still doesn't sound stable to me - looks like that's a leaky version. I'm glad you're able to live with the leaky version for now so that you get all the nice new features... but I'm still not satisfied, and I won' release it publicly until it's stable.

Thanks again for the info and keep me posted
    07-21-09 11:50 AM
    Eh, I guess it's just one of those things that varies from device to device.

For me, if I switch back and forth between two "good" themes (say, two of the released versions of Elle), each time I switch from one to the other, some noticeable chunk of memory (in the order of 5MB) becomes tied up and doesn't get released. Or if it does get released, it leaks away within the first hour or so. Three or four switches later, and I'm down 20MB. But if I reboot the phone, then that theme itself doesn't leak at all.
    Well thanks for that lol

But yes - I have the same experience as you - no matter what theme I use, when I switch, my performance drops. Not just memory, but actual performance in the UI as well. It's been a long time advised practice to do a reboot any time a theme is switched, back to the day I first got into themes.
    07-21-09 11:52 AM
    so how can i get my hands on a glow version ?
    07-21-09 12:09 PM
    so how can i get my hands on a glow version ?
    All of my donors got an email the other day with info on the beta and links to it. It's only out there for donors right now, and they're being nice enough to help me beta test for it. There is only 1 glow version currently, it's one of the betas Depending on how this beta ends up going in the end, there might be glow icon versions for all flavors of :|: elle :|:

Only time will tell though!
    07-21-09 12:19 PM
    All of my donors got an email the other day with info on the beta and links to it. It's only out there for donors right now, and they're being nice enough to help me beta test for it. There is only 1 glow version currently, it's one of the betas Depending on how this beta ends up going in the end, there might be glow icon versions for all flavors of :|: elle :|:

Only time will tell though!
    well then...... side note;;; willing to beta for you anytime
    07-21-09 12:51 PM
    glow icons sounds cool. as far as mem leaks and such. ive been using this theme for a few weeks now and have no probs with it. i took my buddys storm and redid his OS ans such with mine. both at once doing the same procedure for both phones. put elle on both and as stated mine runs flawlessly. his runs like crap. so i believe its just some storms came from a bad batch. hard to convince me otherwise i mean i did it side by side and the eveidence speaks for itself.
    07-21-09 12:55 PM
    Thank You's to both Lyricidal and Aug0211. I've been running my Storm for about 4 months and this is actually my first use of a Theme. Very Nice. Will donate momentarily.
    07-21-09 01:10 PM
    Thanks Mike! I sent you an email today (I think it was you, anyway, always hard to link up real names with CB names with emails, lol). I'll PM you as well. By the way, which beta version were you leaking in?

And yeah, I'm totally happy the public versions don't leak. Phew. That way, we can always go back to those when we need stability.
    Yup, that was me.... If you don't like my Dan number, I can always go back to my old alias "Stew PiDasso"

I have the same version you made for yourself on Friday.

check your email. I sent you a pdf file. Let me know if it's useful.
    If got like 5 different versions installed, keeping track of what's running is tough enough, let alone debugging.

Have you thought of a version manager, like subversion?

Mike
    Last edited by ITF36059; 07-21-09 at 02:49 PM.
    07-21-09 02:40 PM
    Yup, that was me.... If you don't like my Dan number, I can always go back to my old alias "Stew PiDasso"

I have the same version you made for yourself on Friday.

check your email. I sent you a pdf file. Let me know if it's useful.
    If got like 5 different versions installed, keeping track of what's running is tough enough, let alone debugging.

Have you thought of a version manager, like subversion?

Mike
    Duh - I knew that! We even talked about the "Stew PiDasso"

I just got out of a meeting, so I'll take a look at that email in a moment. I really appreciate it!

Just in my meeting, I was thinking of using something for version control. I'll look into subversion - not familiar with it yet. I had used TortoiseSVN for management and it has some version control... but I'll look around

Thanks, and expect an email from me in a bit once I'm caught up
    07-21-09 03:42 PM
    well then...... side note;;; willing to beta for you anytime

I appreciate it! If you donated (I can't remember - sorry!), then you should have gotten an email from me last weekend. If I missed you somehow, let me know, and give me your email addy so I can double check my paypal records and donation record with my email distribution list and make sure I correct any errors on my part!

This goes for everyone
    07-21-09 03:44 PM
    Thank You's to both Lyricidal and Aug0211. I've been running my Storm for about 4 months and this is actually my first use of a Theme. Very Nice. Will donate momentarily.
    Thank you so much! and you're right, Lyricidal's work is amazing. He defintely deserves a salute any time his name is raised!

I emailed you a little bit ago, GM
    07-21-09 04:30 PM
    Just noticed something, there's no alarm icon next to the time when you have it set, on any screen!
    I'm using the QL version at the moment.
    07-21-09 07:58 PM
1,521 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD