View Poll Results: Which version of :|: elle :|: would you liked updated to 5.0 first?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • Classic Edition

61 19.87%
  • Weather Edition

72 23.45%
  • QuickLaunch Edition

24 7.82%
  • Weather + MeterBerry Edition

34 11.07%
  • Weather + Quicklaunch Edition

51 16.61%
  • Weather + MeterBerry + QuickLaunch Edition

65 21.17%
    looks sweet nice theme
    Thanks snipe. I really appreciate the compliment! If you have any other feedback be sure to post it I tried to keep up with what everyone's saying about it!

Enjoy!
    06-30-09 11:09 AM
    Hey Aug, when you use SMS and Messages combined, do you get both new SMS and new email items showing up in the Today area when you select the combined Messages hotspot? Or do you only get one but not the other? I was using a hidden today theme awhile back with both combined, but was only getting emails in the today area - not sure if it was a glitch with that particular theme, a glitch with my phone on that particular day, or if that's the way it works.
    Wow, I read this wrong. I thought you were asking how it worked if they're NOT combined.

To answer your question, they will both show up in the hidden today info. This is the setup I use, and when I get a message (whether it be SMS or email), it shows up in the hidden today when I tap the messages hot spot.

With a separate setup (I just checked on this since I read your post wrong the first time), the emails will show up in hidden today if you touch bottom right corner, and SMS will show up in hidden today if you have SMS icon set to come up in the bottom left corner, and tap that hot spot.

Hope that makes sense!
    06-30-09 11:24 AM
    Donation made.

This is an amazing theme. I've been running the WB-MB version since the OTA went up. So sleek and incredibly functional. After a couple of days I've finally gotten used to what's where so I don't have to think about it anymore.

And the best part....unlike other themes I've used and liked a lot, my memory has been so stable I'm thinking of taking MeterBerry off my home screen! Makes me love my Storm even more.

Thanks Auggie!
    06-30-09 08:09 PM
    Donation made.

This is an amazing theme. I've been running the WB-MB version since the OTA went up. So sleek and incredibly functional. After a couple of days I've finally gotten used to what's where so I don't have to think about it anymore.

And the best part....unlike other themes I've used and liked a lot, my memory has been so stable I'm thinking of taking MeterBerry off my home screen! Makes me love my Storm even more.

Thanks Auggie!
    I'm glad you're getting used to it! It really did take me part of a day or so to get used to it lol (and I made it up!). I really am happy that you're enjoying it. It's an amazing feeling to make something and get such a positive response from the users. You guys rock!

And also, thank you so much for your donation. I'm sure you already saw this in the email I just sent you, but the timing of your donation was perfect. Thank you so much.

To everyone else who doesn't know - donations had pretty much come to a halt. The theme was still getting downloaded, but donations had stopped. needless to say, i was feeling a bit discouraged (you can probably tell from some of my earlier posts). But this donation came at just the right time and picked me back up. Hopefully the downloaders will continue to donate and enjoy the theme. I also posted the theme at BlackBerryOS, and I'm considering putting it up in the MobiHand store as well, to spread the word about it. I know I am heavily biased, but my vision is that it could grow to be one of the more popular themes out there. To me, it seems like what should have shipped on the phone in the first place... but that's the reason I made it
    06-30-09 09:38 PM
    OK, I'm about to crawl in bed and put a movie on, but I wanted to put this up and get all of your opinions on it (anyone who is willing to contribute, that is!). I've been emailing back and forth with a (really nice, helpful) representative from mobihand.com (IMHO, the best mobile app store there is). I'm considering putting :|: elle :|: up on MobiHand.

I'm nervous about putting it up on MobiHand... while I can list it as free (which I obviously want to do!), they don't support donations. This means that anyone who found the theme through MobiHand would have no idea that I was requesting donations for those able to make them. And of course I don't want to charge on MobiHand, because I don't want people to have to pay for it. Plus, if I charge on MobiHand, I have to charge here (MobiHand's policy), which I really don't want to do.

I told them I'd think it over for a little while to come up with a decision that's well thought out. It occurred to me that it would be valuable to hear what all of you thought. What are your opinions? Should I put it up on MobiHand listed as free and just swallow the fact that most people won't know to donate? Or should I charge a small fee and list it on MobiHand, and start charging a small fee here too? Or should I just scrap MobiHand altogether? What are your thoughts? Keep in mind that while in an ideal world there would be no money involved at all... I do need to see some kind (even if it remains very small) of return on my invested time...

Shoot me a PM, or an email, or whatever you feel like if you've got an opinion on the matter. I ask that you not post it here, since this isn't supposed to be my personal blog I want to keep this discussion based on the theme more than the business decisions that I am making. Thanks guys!
    06-30-09 09:43 PM
    On the Mobihand thing:

Would they even still allow you to solicit donations here if you listed it free with them? I could be recalling incorrectly, but back when Hastings wanted to list AppleBerry with Mobihand, I believe he had originally wanted to list it for free, and continue asking for donations via his thread here, but was told that he couldn't -- so he had to settle for charging $6 for the whole suite of AppleBerry variants.

And something related to the theme:

I noticed tonight that when you have a new email indicator and a new SMS indicator showing, the new voice mail indicator (and probably any other indicator that normally appears to the right of the SMS, like BlackBerry Messenger) gets pushed out of the visible area. It's probably just a result of the notifications area being a little too small. This is on the MeterBerry + Weather + Hidden Today version; I'm not sure if it also happens on the others.
    07-01-09 01:41 AM
    Just wanted to say - I LOVE THIS THEME! I have had no problems what so ever! I've tried many themes and this is my favorite hands down! Donation sent - thanks for all your hard work!
    07-01-09 06:45 AM
    I remember all that happening with Hastings. I'm not sure about this whole thing...

About the theme - I see what you're saying. I haven't had it happen but it makes sense. Notification area needs to be increased. This is probably in all versions. I'll try to get to it today but I'll post and email once it is fixed!

As always thanks for the feedback!

On the Mobihand thing:

Would they even still allow you to solicit donations here if you listed it free with them? I could be recalling incorrectly, but back when Hastings wanted to list AppleBerry with Mobihand, I believe he had originally wanted to list it for free, and continue asking for donations via his thread here, but was told that he couldn't -- so he had to settle for charging $6 for the whole suite of AppleBerry variants.

And something related to the theme:

I noticed tonight that when you have a new email indicator and a new SMS indicator showing, the new voice mail indicator (and probably any other indicator that normally appears to the right of the SMS, like BlackBerry Messenger) gets pushed out of the visible area. It's probably just a result of the notifications area being a little too small. This is on the MeterBerry + Weather + Hidden Today version; I'm not sure if it also happens on the others.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-09 07:36 AM
    I'm glad you like it! And thanks for the donation! I'll send you an email shortly

Just wanted to say - I LOVE THIS THEME! I have had no problems what so ever! I've tried many themes and this is my favorite hands down! Donation sent - thanks for all your hard work!
    07-01-09 07:37 AM
    I don't know if this is the theme but the memory is down from 31 mb to 11.2 mb in 16 hours
    07-01-09 07:38 AM
    but I forgot to say that was my favorite theme
    07-01-09 07:40 AM
    Aug I wish you put wallpapers available in the first post, is it possible?
    07-01-09 07:42 AM
    Most likely not the theme... Nobody else has reported a leak and in fact vyrus (I think!) has been posting logs from meterberry showing minimal leak. And others are reporting very stable memory (mine is stable too ). my guess is that its something else!

I don't know if this is the theme but the memory is down from 31 mb to 11.2 mb in 16 hours
    07-01-09 07:46 AM
    Check out the first post - there is a link to a page with all the wallpapers

Aug I wish you put wallpapers available in the first post, is it possible?
    07-01-09 07:46 AM
    thanks, really really appreciate
    07-01-09 08:22 AM
    still no email from you aug. you get my pm? not that you have anything to email me about... just following up i suppose since you mentioned it. LOL

i wouldn't put it on mobihand. not that i have a problem with them. it just sounds like the business model you wish to follow doesn't work well with how they do things. unless they permit a donation link or something in the description i say just continue to leave it here.

if you decide you want to start charging, then by all means, go with mobihand. i've not ever had issues with them. as i mentioned before though, i'm a try before i buy kind of guy. which is what i did with your theme. that's the main issue with themes on a site like mobihand. there's no way to "trial" a theme so there never is an option to try first and pay later.

jmho though.
    07-01-09 08:22 AM
    OK, I'm about to crawl in bed and put a movie on, but I wanted to put this up and get all of your opinions on it (anyone who is willing to contribute, that is!). I've been emailing back and forth with a (really nice, helpful) representative from mobihand.com (IMHO, the best mobile app store there is). I'm considering putting :|: elle :|: up on MobiHand.

I'm nervous about putting it up on MobiHand... while I can list it as free (which I obviously want to do!), they don't support donations. This means that anyone who found the theme through MobiHand would have no idea that I was requesting donations for those able to make them. And of course I don't want to charge on MobiHand, because I don't want people to have to pay for it. Plus, if I charge on MobiHand, I have to charge here (MobiHand's policy), which I really don't want to do.

I told them I'd think it over for a little while to come up with a decision that's well thought out. It occurred to me that it would be valuable to hear what all of you thought. What are your opinions? Should I put it up on MobiHand listed as free and just swallow the fact that most people won't know to donate? Or should I charge a small fee and list it on MobiHand, and start charging a small fee here too? Or should I just scrap MobiHand altogether? What are your thoughts? Keep in mind that while in an ideal world there would be no money involved at all... I do need to see some kind (even if it remains very small) of return on my invested time...

Shoot me a PM, or an email, or whatever you feel like if you've got an opinion on the matter. I ask that you not post it here, since this isn't supposed to be my personal blog I want to keep this discussion based on the theme more than the business decisions that I am making. Thanks guys!
    I have an opinion!!! lol Since donations have slowed or stopped by now -if I were you I would go ahead and put it on Mobihand--and charge for it. Maybe do what Hastings did and have a "basic" version here for donations and charge for the ones that are customized with WB and MB and such.
    This is really such an awesome theme. I have either donated for or bought about 30 themes so far (yeah- I have a problem-lol)-out of all of them the only ones I use are this one-Hastings Appleberry and one by BBoyer.
    I love how clean this theme is and how good it is working on my bb- and now that I have all the spots filled to my liking (I have changed this about 5x) I have finally memorized it. My brother who NEVER puts anything 3rd party on his phone is getting this theme. You have no idea what a compliment that is!
    Another plus to putting it on Mobihand of course is the additional exposure - especially if you want to go on and make more themes.
    So there you go--that is my opinion- and remember- you asked for it! lol
    07-01-09 08:40 AM
    still no email from you aug. you get my pm? not that you have anything to email me about... just following up i suppose since you mentioned it. LOL

i wouldn't put it on mobihand. not that i have a problem with them. it just sounds like the business model you wish to follow doesn't work well with how they do things. unless they permit a donation link or something in the description i say just continue to leave it here.

if you decide you want to start charging, then by all means, go with mobihand. i've not ever had issues with them. as i mentioned before though, i'm a try before i buy kind of guy. which is what i did with your theme. that's the main issue with themes on a site like mobihand. there's no way to "trial" a theme so there never is an option to try first and pay later.

jmho though.
    First things first - I think the email you PMd me is the same one as the email I sent out that first message to! I must have made a typo or soemthing - either way, expect a message in a few moments! Sorry for the delay!

But with regards to your thoughts on the mobihand thing - you're right, it doesn't follow my business model at all. I think the only way I'll do it is if they allow me to put a donation link in the description. I'll have to talk to the rep about that. This is why I love getting feedback from my users... it's so valuable!

Anyway, expect an email shortly - and I'm hoping to do an update today or tomorrow so be sure to let me know if you get an email this time!
    07-01-09 09:00 AM

jmho though.
    I agree with the part about liking to try the themes first- that is why I said about having the basic version posted here for a donation-- then if you like it and want the extras-- you can go to Mobihand and buy it. If you already did it here- you are good to go--but it will take care of all those downloading and not giving anything. And from what I've seen other developers post--they have something like 1 donation for every 10 or more downloads. To me- that just isn't fair.
    07-01-09 09:02 AM
    I have an opinion!!! lol Since donations have slowed or stopped by now -if I were you I would go ahead and put it on Mobihand--and charge for it. Maybe do what Hastings did and have a "basic" version here for donations and charge for the ones that are customized with WB and MB and such.
    This is really such an awesome theme. I have either donated for or bought about 30 themes so far (yeah- I have a problem-lol)-out of all of them the only ones I use are this one-Hastings Appleberry and one by BBoyer.
    I love how clean this theme is and how good it is working on my bb- and now that I have all the spots filled to my liking (I have changed this about 5x) I have finally memorized it. My brother who NEVER puts anything 3rd party on his phone is getting this theme. You have no idea what a compliment that is!
    Another plus to putting it on Mobihand of course is the additional exposure - especially if you want to go on and make more themes.
    So there you go--that is my opinion- and remember- you asked for it! lol
    Lol of course I want your opinion! I always loving hearing what you have to say; you've got great input. Plus, you're always so nice to me so reading your posts is a reall "pick me up!"

I am really gracious and honored that you think my theme is worth buying! The thing I hate to do is have some young kid who doesn't have a credit card or a paypal account not be able to use this theme because he's unable to buy it. I understand that the *majority* of users here are old enough to (a) have a bank account and (b) have a bit of money to spare (otherwise they wouldn't own a BB lol), but in the end I just hate to be "exclusive" with a theme that in my opinion, should be offered standard (tooting my own horn again, I know )

I really am honored that your brother is going to give it a whirl also! You'll have to give me a heads up as to who he is so I can give him a personal thanks as well!

After your post, I'm back up to the top of the fence, undecided. To charge, or not to charge? It is a bit sad that the donations have slowed way down... but part of me is telling myself not to get greedy. I should be happy that people like this in the first place, and that I didn't get flamed for "creating a monstrosity" or something horrible

I'm still going to think on it and see what happens...
    07-01-09 09:05 AM
    I agree with the part about liking to try the themes first- that is why I said about having the basic version posted here for a donation-- then if you like it and want the extras-- you can go to Mobihand and buy it. If you already did it here- you are good to go--but it will take care of all those downloading and not giving anything. And from what I've seen other developers post--they have something like 1 donation for every 10 or more downloads. To me- that just isn't fair.
    Yeah, it's true that most who download don't donate. That's why I always try to (a) appreciate and (b) respect all of you (my donors) so much. Not only am I happy that you donated to me, but I also respect that you are willing to back up your mouth with actions.

I hate to do this, but I need to vent for a second - you have no idea how frustrating it is when people tell you how much they love your theme, and that they are going to donate very soon, but never come through. This hasn't happened here (I don't think), but it has somewhere else. In their defense, maybe they're just slower to donate... or maybe they're trying it for a week before donating. Not sure. either way, I wish they wouldn't get my hopes up about a donation, and then not come through!

Ok, /vent!

So I'm wondering then, if I had a version listed for free, which one would you offer for free? :|: elle :|: Classic? I'm not even sure... because I think some people like the simpler ones more - I know some love the WB and MB and QL versions, but there are some people who want it fully customizable (no QL) and a clutter-free screen (that is the inspiration behind this, anyway!).

I for one, appreciate a less cluttered screen myself...

So which version(s) would you offer free, and which version(s) would you charge for, if I took the approach you mentioned?
    07-01-09 09:10 AM

jmho though.
    I am definitely a try before buy kind of guy as well. I hate when I'm looking at an app and there is no trial available I almost never end up buying if there's not a trial available. Anyway, I sent you a PM back as well as another email... keep me updated!
    07-01-09 09:15 AM
    what about creating a version with JUST the pre-set hot spots: profiles, clock, connections on the top (where they are now). remove the messages and calendar hot spots on the bottom and don't allow any user-defined hot spots either. this could be the trial version.

just an idea.
    07-01-09 09:42 AM
    what about creating a version with JUST the pre-set hot spots: profiles, clock, connections on the top (where they are now). remove the messages and calendar hot spots on the bottom and don't allow any user-defined hot spots either. this could be the trial version.

just an idea.
    Not a bad idea at all. And it wouldn't be too hard for me to do that, either. But I wonder if people would still see the full potential that the "premium" versions would have... I worry that people may not realize how nice the customizable L's and other hot spots are without trying it. So then people would try the basic version and decide it wasn't good enough, and not really consider how much better the premium versions really would be.

Does that make sense? Does anyone else have an opinion on that? Maybe I'm wrong? Because what you said really does sound like a good idea...

By the way - did my email ever go through to ya?
    07-01-09 09:47 AM

just an idea.
    I think this is a great idea! That way you could at least try it out first, and hopefully if the person liked it they would go for the premium version!

There is nothing worse than paying for a theme and then finding out it doesn't completely work! It has happened to me from a very popular theme builder in this forum. I asked if it was going to be fixed and I never got a response. Needless to say I will never buy a theme from this person again no matter how much I might like the way it looks!!
    07-01-09 10:12 AM
1,521 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD