(Latest update in bold)

3/9/09

Edit: I've moved http://www.themestorm.net to a proper host. It should be running 24x7 now. I'm in need of theme creators to help test! Let me know and I'll make you an account thanks!

Edit: I've taken the site down today as it was running locally and I'm moving back on campus. It will be up later this week as I move the files to my host when I'm done working on them.

----------
    3/8/09

Edit: I've done some more work on the site.

Theme Downloaders: Please point your BB Browser to http://www.themestorm.net and let me know if it works smoothly for you!

Theme Creators: If you want to be an uploader please send me a PM as I will be finishing the basic mechanisms for that portion of the site by midweek this week. I just want a couple of people who will help for now...and I will open up the site once the basics are done.

----------

Hi guys,

So I've had this idea for a while now but I've finally decided to take action. I'm currently working on making a website where people can upload their storm themes and share with other people. All the downloads will be OTA so people can preview and download directly onto their phone.

I've currently found myself for example, browsing crackberry.com on the computer (to preview themes), and then getting the link and putting it through to my phone to get the themes. So I've felt like (at least for me) this site would make things a lot easier and a lot more organized.

I'm posting on here to ask for any theme authors that would not mind helping me test out the site and iron out bugs by giving me permission to use their themes/sending me their files.

you can contact me at pragun [at] gmail [dot] com, or by PM here.

you can also just post here but for sending files email would probably work better.

also for everyone else -- would anyone else like to see a website like this?
    Last edited by theconfused1; 03-09-09 at 08:12 PM.
    03-08-09 01:24 AM
    I will be using my site for this...I am redesign it as we speak. If you want to help let me know...I will have apps, themes, wallpapers and ringtones. I will have tons of app give aways when I launch. I will have a few well known devs giving me apps

Site is www. mystormmedia. com
    Last edited by 0mie; 03-08-09 at 01:32 AM.
    03-08-09 01:30 AM
    that's pretty cool 0mie..i took a look at it but it looks like its for pc browsing, so a little different than what i'm working on. in any case i've worked on the site a bit more and i need a couple themes to put on there for OTA. are there any generous theme makers willing to help me out here?
    03-08-09 03:21 PM
    I will help you test. However, it should be very easy.

Just standard HTML with no heavy pictures, javascript to a minimum, and not a lot of CSS with no PHP.
    03-08-09 03:25 PM
    I will help you test. However, it should be very easy.

Just standard HTML with no heavy pictures, javascript to a minimum, and not a lot of CSS with no PHP.
    Thanks --

What's wrong with PHP? I'm using that with MySQL for the backend, and I have a minimal amount of CSS -- but im thoroughly making sure everything shows up properly in the native blackberry storm browser. The basic downloads section is almost done for testing -- it doesn't have pages, etc yet. And I still need to make an interface for theme creators, but for right now I plan to manually stick that stuff in the MySQL DB. I might automate it later tonight or tomorrow.

It does have pictures -- small previews of the themes (110 height on the page listing themes and 220 height on the true "info" page for each theme). All loads quickly though!
    03-08-09 03:35 PM
    USe PHP for the website for those who are accessing it on the PC. However, for the phone, I wouldn't use it, nor do you really need it.... not for this application.

Theme developers can access the site online to upload their theme, that is where your PHP should come into play. When people are accessing it on their phone, they dont need to use PHP, they just need links.

A link to goto a phone. (bold, 8900, curve, etc) to pick their phone from the list.

Then a link for categories.

Then the link for the themes, click on a theme descrition which will bring you to a picture and OTA link.
    Absolutly no PHP required for that.
    03-08-09 03:39 PM
    But if you want to view all the current themes in the database don't you need it..? I'm sorry I'm not sure I'm getting you.

Edit: hold on, let me finish this one part and i'll send you a link so you can see what i'm doing..but i need 10 posts first.
    03-08-09 03:47 PM
    Nevermind, I see what your saying.... DUH

You would have to link the mobile version to the database of the themes. I don't know what I was thinking on why PHP doesnt work. You are able to view crackberry on the phone rather easily using their wap... and they use php.

sorry about that...did i make you crazy? lol

If you need custom logo or graphic design work done, let me know.
    03-08-09 03:50 PM
    hahaha a little bit. i mean i wasn't sure what you were saying, really.

i generally tend to do graphics myself but if im stump out of ideas i'll let you know right now i'm just trying to keep the download sizes for the pages low so the "logo" is nothing more than some pretty plain, plain text.

i really appreciate the quick responses and stuff -- thank you!!
    03-08-09 03:54 PM
    yeah i was getting ahead of myself on the hole design a site thing.

great idea, I was thinking about doing it also, but I have enough to worry about with my own site.
    03-08-09 03:56 PM
    no offense b15ginz, but your advertising your web design "skills" but when i went to your page it was laid in wordpress, i viewed your source code and you really havent done that much work, its nice that your trying to help, but what if i saw your sig and asked you to build me a custom site in 2 days what would you do?i was gonna contact you on some stuff, but yur sig is very misleading
    03-08-09 04:07 PM
    no offense b15ginz, but your advertising your web design "skills" but when i went to your page it was laid in wordpress, i viewed your source code and you really havent done that much work, its nice that your trying to help, but what if i saw your sig and asked you to build me a custom site in 2 days what would you do?i was gonna contact you on some stuff, but yur sig is very misleading

1) yes it is done in wordpress
    2) if you want a site in 2 days, find a company because my time will not allow that.
    3) if you want a full end database/php site, find someone else. i am not knowledged to do so (although i can edit/tweak an exsisting code to fit my needs or the needs of others. i can not just sit down and write it.)
    4) if you want a css/html/xhtml/javascript/java/dhtml im your man.
    5) ive done websites in the past and I just landed another for spektrummusic.com - an online record label
    6) my sig is not misleading, if you want a blackberry theme, ask me. i have made quite a few for people who have asked and i will continue to do so. my sig does not say for a greatest php website please visit my blog.
    7) i am more of a graphic designer than a web designer (obviously from my lack of php)

and last but not least

8) if you want to insult someone like you just did, do it in a pm. i do not appreciate you telling me, without even knowing me!!!, what i can and can not do.

A very, VERY, popular graphic / web designer in Australia has done a website on wordpress as well.
    Not to mention i know of a few companies who have used and continue to use joomla/drupal as their base for their web site... i work for one... and they are quite a large corporation. sometimes it is just easier/profitable to download something and build off of it --- EXSPECIALLY in freelance graphic and 'web' designers who do not work for a company.

get your facts straight before you lessen anyones "skill"...
    Last edited by b15ginz; 03-08-09 at 05:14 PM.
    03-08-09 04:13 PM
    I was thinking on doing a site for this as well, and I have a php site for developers for a 3d open source program... what I would do in this case is to have the php generate a html or xml file with the links so users can access form their phones, with the updated list of links everytime a developer uploads... good luck!
    03-08-09 04:14 PM
    Thanks to a few of the people on here, I've been able to put up some themes. Please visit www.themestorm.net on your BlackBerry Storm's Browser to see the proof-of-concept for the site. There are currently 5 themes available for download. Please let me know if everything runs smoothly!

The site will be going down in about 8 hours once I move back onto campus..only to return later this week once I move it to my actual host.
    03-08-09 11:59 PM
    Great Idea.
    03-09-09 12:10 AM
    So far so good for a logo and words.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 12:11 AM
    My BBrowser gets stuck on the last image.

Then I get an error saying, "A problem occurred while trying to render the page."

I dunno :X
    03-09-09 12:15 AM
    last image for which page?
    03-09-09 12:17 AM
    03-09-09 12:18 AM
    So far so good for a logo and words.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    thanks

the main page then? mind trying a battery pull..?
    03-09-09 12:19 AM
    Did the trick
    03-09-09 12:37 AM
    Did the trick
    great well i'm off to bed if anyone has any feedback or wants to help with testing or anything please leave me a message. and thanks bbgod for all of your help!
    03-09-09 12:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD