Hi Everyone, I have seen a number of people have trouble updating from 10.0 to 10.1 and after reading the upgrade guide I can see why as it seems confusing to me. I currently have BDS, UDS and Management Studio installed on the same server and from what I understand that's where the difficulty arises from? Is there any tips one can provide in order to upgrade to 10.1 successfully? I only have about 7 people using the UDS services so if it's easier I am not against unistalling UDS before updating to 10.1. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.
    07-29-13 04:50 PM
    I will point some BES Admins your way.
    07-30-13 11:51 AM
    I've only upgraded a 10.0 BDS install to 10.1 but from my memory of the experiences of others you can consider your UDS installation a goner as you have to set its configuration up again from scratch and reactivate devices.

Your BDS should upgrade OK keeping any current activations. I seem to recall you have to uninstall BMS before installing 10.1 but I think that's in the docs.

However, I'd test the upgrade in a test environment if you can before doing it on your live server. Snapshot your virtual machine if you are running BES10.0 on virtual so you can revert it back if something goes wrong.

If you can't test as your running on a physical server and don't have a test environment then unless you have so few BDS users that it doesn't matter if something goes wrong then cross your fingers and say your prayers before you start as people have encountered a number of unexpected problems upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1 and from 10.1 to 10.1.1 with little official to go on as to why and not much commonality between the circumstances either.

Let's just say it hasn't felt like the upgrade processes have been thoroughly tested against all possible configurations before each new release had been pushed out of the BlackBerry stable door. It's felt like a very rushed and bumpy ride, the Licensing model changes introduced in 10.1 have been a particular roller coaster.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 06:56 PM
    Thx for the help. Appreciate it very much. I am running it on a VM so that helps. It's tempting to just keep 10.0 forever but don't know what the downsides of that will be down the road. Thx. Again.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 10:21 PM
    Not sure how long anyone can stay on BES10.0 either.

I'm assuming the cut off point is the end of this year for me as I'm using traded up BES5 CALs in my 10.0 BDS so they're temporary.

Other people's cut off points may depend on their CAL situation if they bought 10.0 CALs for BDS and or UDS.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 03:19 AM