Hey everyone,

Still having significant issues with the UDS.

For the life of me, I just can not get it working.
    We were having issues with the old server, so to test we did a fresh install of the BES/UDS.

Followed all directions in the 10.2 user guide on how to set up the gatekeeping, and the UDS etc.

I still cant get it to work properly. I can activate the devices on the UDS without any problem. However, once I go to activate the activesync conection, they get blocked.

It seems like the UDS does not have permission to add/modify the list of allowed devices on the exchange.

I have checked powershell 2.0, double checked the list of commands to set up gatekeeping, and gone though the steps multiple times but the end result is still the same.

I dont know what we are overlooking here, but it honestly should not be this hard to active a phone for MDM use.
    Last edited by smilloy519; 05-26-14 at 02:17 PM.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    05-26-14 11:17 AM
    05-26-14 09:47 PM
    Also make sure to check here http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...n_Guide_EN.pdf

Pages 68-72. Step through this one piece at a time, step by step.

Create a new account and do this with it. Then test that new account. Does it give any failures?
    05-27-14 08:20 AM
    Thanks guys,

I did follow those steps again and am still having some problems. It seems that my IOS devices are working properly.

I can add my Ipad to the UDS, it pushes the email etc. If i remove my Ipad from the UDS (from the IPAD) it wipes the Excahnge data (yay working). I re-added it and repeated, and it again wiped the data.

The problem I am having now is specific to Andoid devices it seems.

I have tried 2 different phones, Samsung S4, Cat rugged phone. Both add to the UDS without problems, however once I manually enter the exchange profile information the phones are blocked.

The Cat phone right now showing up under "microsoft exchange connections" as blocked. If i allow it, and then proceed with the activation I can get email. The problem then is If i deactivate the devices (as i did with the Ipad) the server does not remove the email profile.

The S4, is not appearing on the exchange connections at all. (if i reboot the server i am sure it will be there, but for some reason it seems really slow to update on its own).

So i guess I have 2 questions.

Are the android devices functioning properly, as in they need to be allowed/denied manually on the Microsoft exchange connection screen? You have to add the email profile manually, so perhaps the server cannot remove it??

2, Is there a way to force the UDS to update the Microsoft exchange connections screen on a more regular basis? Its been 10 minutes since I tried to add the S4, (which was blocked) and it is still not appearing on the connection screen.

The fact that the Ipad is working perfectly now seems to imply all the user settings / groups are set up properly.
    05-27-14 11:06 AM
    Just an update

It took about 30-45m before the S4 finally appeared on the Microsoft exchange connections list.
    Once i Allowed it, the device was able to activate on exchange.

Once if finished i tried deactivating it via bes10 app, and it did not remove the email account. The S4 can still send/recieve emails even though it has been removed from the UDS.

Do you have to have the touchdown client for the android devices to function like the IOS ones?
    05-27-14 11:52 AM
    If you are using Secure Work Space from UDS pushing the active sync profile to the device then TouchDown is not required and could be causing the conflict.
    05-27-14 04:50 PM
    Do you have to have the touchdown client for the android devices to function like the IOS ones?
    Yes. There is no standard API for creating, managing and removing an ActiveSync mail profile in Android like there is in iOS (and BB10).

Android is a living hell for MDM, no wonder most businesses end up going iPhone and iPad.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.2
    05-27-14 05:13 PM
    Yes. There is no standard API for creating, managing and removing an ActiveSync mail profile in Android like there is in iOS (and BB10).

Android is a living hell for MDM, no wonder most businesses end up going iPhone and iPad.

Thanks you for the answer.

So just to make sure I m on the same page as you,

There is essentially no way for me to deploy Android devices, using the standard MDM, and also ensure that the device stays compliant, because the user can simply remove the bes10 app (which removes my ability to control it without using exchange directly).

If so, yes i do believe Hell is the proper term.
    05-28-14 07:21 AM
    Thanks you for the answer.

So just to make sure I m on the same page as you,

There is essentially no way for me to deploy Android devices, using the standard MDM, and also ensure that the device stays compliant, because the user can simply remove the bes10 app (which removes my ability to control it without using exchange directly).

If so, yes i do believe Hell is the proper term.
    It's been too long since I tried the Touchdown client app to remember if it automatically removes the mail profile from itself upon deactivation/deletion of the BES10 client app I'm afraid. I wrote Touchdown off as a bad idea, it's not a good user experience in there.

Secure Workspace is really BlackBerry's solution to the Android MDM mess, it's much better than Touchdown.

05-28-14 04:40 PM