So I am on an Android Blackberry (Keyone) and I need to keep my important client's information (phonebook, calendar, messaging apps) separate from my less important communication. For example I can't have it that Signal or Whatsapp uploads my client's contacts to its servers, or that ordinary apps can access pics I took for work.

Now I read that there's Android for Work/Android Enterprise and Blackberry Balance/UEM that achieves such a separation but that is tied to a managed corporate account. I am a freelancer though, pretty much my own company by myself – but I still have the need to keep this stuff separate. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
    12-19-17 12:29 PM
    12-19-17 04:21 PM
    So I am on an Android Blackberry (Keyone) and I need to keep my important client's information (phonebook, calendar, messaging apps) separate from my less important communication. For example I can't have it that Signal or Whatsapp uploads my client's contacts to its servers, or that ordinary apps can access pics I took for work.

Now I read that there's Android for Work/Android Enterprise and Blackberry Balance/UEM that achieves such a separation but that is tied to a managed corporate account. I am a freelancer though, pretty much my own company by myself – but I still have the need to keep this stuff separate. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately, the cheaper answer is dual carry...with no real apps on your company phone.
    sallustius likes this.
    12-19-17 04:25 PM
    Thank you. I did not know about that option. It's not seamless to switch users but at least it gives me a clean environment for work. I set up a local user for important stuff now that only syncs through BB hub. It looks as if App updates still carry over from the main account which has google and that seems to be a good thing too.
    12-20-17 05:53 AM
    Unfortunately, the cheaper answer is dual carry...with no real apps on your company phone.
    That's what I am used to do since like 2003 - I had just hoped the world might have moved on since. :-/
    12-20-17 05:55 AM
    That's what I am used to do since like 2003 - I had just hoped the world might have moved on since. :-/
    Nope. Sorry.
    12-20-17 06:44 AM
    I've accomplished this with BlackBerry UEM Cloud, as I needed to keep work and personal separate too.

So I signed up for BES 12 Cloud (as it used to be known as), purchased a license and away I went.

Setting it up is a bit of a task itself. It's not something I'd recommend for an amateur (saying this in general), and I've even made mistakes along the way.

But having work stuff (email, twitter, etc) away from the personal stuff is great.

Adding the work camera was a bit difficult; but of course the great people around here said to add it as a system app, and Voila! It works and keeps all the work related pictures separate from your personal side.
    11-29-18 04:27 PM
    If I set up another user for work BYOD, will this help to protect my main account from being access by my company?
    11-08-19 10:43 AM

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, but it will cost you a little time and a few dollars a month. But it works perfectly.

You'll need to use GSuite, which is Google's professional suite of services. If you already have a domain, you can use that, or you can get one through Google. As the Administrator of that account, you can configure Android for Work and set it up on your phone. You will have a "work" profile with separate versions of apps that completely segregates any data stored in your Google Drive.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's all very well documented and it does exactly what you want.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-08-19 11:45 AM
    Not really. The extra monthly cost and the cost of a second device is a lot more than just using GSuite and Android for Work

The cost is the cost of a domain ($12 per year) and $6 per month per user. For that you get 30 GB cloud storage, corporate-quality email, total control, increased privacy and security, and video/voice messaging.

11-08-19 11:47 AM
    Not really. The extra monthly cost and the cost of a second device is a lot more than just using GSuite and Android for Work

The cost is the cost of a domain ($12 per year) and $6 per month per user. For that you get 30 GB cloud storage, corporate-quality email, total control, increased privacy and security, and video/voice messaging.

I’m not sure, but I believe my reply from two years ago might be different now. Then again, who really knows with the way I form ideas or answers.

Wait ..... I believe my answer was the partition from WhatsApp, Signal and something else....
    11-08-19 02:31 PM
    If I set up another user for work BYOD, will this help to protect my main account from being access by my company?
    It depends on your company's policies. If they support Android for Work, read the details before accepting the agreement.

11-08-19 02:43 PM
    I’m not sure, but I believe my reply from two years ago might be different now. Then again, who really knows with the way I form ideas or answers.

Wait ..... I believe my answer was the partition from WhatsApp, Signal and something else....
    I was just clarifying for anyone looking at this information today. FWIW, Android for Work with GSUITE has been very useful for a couple of years now.

11-08-19 02:44 PM