Hi there

Has anyone used RIM's offering of EZ Pass to upgrade their environment to BES 10.2? We have 60 BES 5 licenses running happily on our BES 5 server, but we have been looking into a MDM solution so we can support iOS and Android devices, and of course the BES 10, along with the EZ Pass option meets that requirement.

My question really is if I go for the EZ Pass 'upgrade (which also gives a free upgrade to BES 12 when it's released) and migrate all our BES 5 licenses across, will this stop the BES 5 server from working? Or will they stop as I add the new licenses to the BES 10 server.

I have got the BES 10 server most of the way through the install, but I am trying to sort out a temporary SRP key for testing, which seems to be quite tricky. I don't have RIM support so there will be a cost to opening a ticket, and Vodafone our network want to charge me too. An EZ Pass seems to be the simplest answer to this.

Thoughts welcome..

Cheers
    Karen
    07-09-14 08:46 AM
    Hi there

Has anyone used RIM's offering of EZ Pass to upgrade their environment to BES 10.2? We have 60 BES 5 licenses running happily on our BES 5 server, but we have been looking into a MDM solution so we can support iOS and Android devices, and of course the BES 10, along with the EZ Pass option meets that requirement.

My question really is if I go for the EZ Pass 'upgrade (which also gives a free upgrade to BES 12 when it's released) and migrate all our BES 5 licenses across, will this stop the BES 5 server from working? Or will they stop as I add the new licenses to the BES 10 server.

I have got the BES 10 server most of the way through the install, but I am trying to sort out a temporary SRP key for testing, which seems to be quite tricky. I don't have RIM support so there will be a cost to opening a ticket, and Vodafone our network want to charge me too. An EZ Pass seems to be the simplest answer to this.

Thoughts welcome..

Cheers
    Karen
    I'm fairly certain that you do not want to use the EZ pass upgrade to move from BES 5 to BES 10.2 until you are certain you can deploy only BB10 devices. If you already have some BB10 devices ready to go to the field then you can convert those and the rest once BES 12 comes out since it's backwards compatible with BB10, OS7 and prior devices. Right now you can run both BES 10 and BES 5 on the same server (even virtual if you like so I'm told) with an integrated user interface console to manage all of them but it will still need to access BES 5 to manage the OS 7 and earlier devices until BES 12 is released. Since BES 12 is expected in the fall and EZ pass upgrade runs until next spring you should have plenty of time to make the switch once you are ready.

https://partners.blackberry.com/ez-pass
    07-09-14 09:31 AM
    Hi there

Thoughts welcome..

Cheers
    Karen
    BES 12 information is on a need t know bases and right now no one other then the BES 12 developers and the heads of BBRY need to know. So you will have to wait until we get closer to the release of BES 12 to really know for sure, but from what John Chen has already said in the past BES 12 will incorporate all BlackBerry devices, BB5 and 10, along with iOS, Android and Windows in one.

There is no info on migrations to BES 12 as that's still on a need to know and we don't quality for that yet.
    07-09-14 09:32 AM
    I'm not worried about BES 12 yet, I only mentioned it because it was advertised in the EZ Pass information.

I just want to run a BES 10 environment as a test alongside my BES 5 environment, we may go down this route, we may opt for a different MDM solution, so I don't want to upset my BES 5 environment just yet.

We have no BB10 devices yet, I will order a couple when we get this going to test, along with an Android and iOS. The EZ Pass just seemed like a good way to get this going with a temporary SRP key (which is all I am missing, I have some BES 10 CALs).

Thanks
    07-09-14 11:31 AM
    Download bes10 from bes10.com for free, you also will get temp CALs for bb10, iOS and Android devices.

It doesn't matter if you trade in your bes5 CALs for bes10 either, the bes5 environment will not be affected by you trading up your cals.

Posted via CB10
    highos likes this.
    07-09-14 02:47 PM
    Download bes10 from bes10.com for free, you also will get temp CALs for bb10, iOS and Android devices.

It doesn't matter if you trade in your bes5 CALs for bes10 either, the bes5 environment will not be affected by you trading up your cals.

Posted via CB10
    Great, just the info I needed! Thanks.
    07-10-14 06:23 AM
    There is no license check for BES5. You can use the exact same CALs for multiple SRPs and BB will never know lol. If you trade up they don't disappear, but you are agreeing to not use them. So take the above route that was discussed.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-18-14 06:55 AM