Hi,

I am a complete novice when it comes to BES, and I am learning as I go with setting it up.

I have BES installed on a Windows Server 2003, and I have to manage about 15 - 20 blackberries, mainly the option to control the applications running and the update of those applications.

Can I go about doing this through BES without using an Exchange server ? If so how can that be done ?

The reason I don't want to use Exchange server is that we don't use it for anything else, and I do not want to spend the money just for this. if it did come down to it I would consider it, but if I can setup BES without the exchange server then I would be happy.

And can some one please explain how BES works, maybe I can get a better picture as to how BES will communicate with each BBs I need to manage.

Thanks
    06-10-08 03:13 PM
    So...what exactly do you use for email?
    06-11-08 12:07 PM
    Email for the Blackberry you mean, if so they are all rogers email accounts, as in they all use xxxx@rogers.blackberry.net addresses.

And we are not planning on using the BES for email, just for Blackberry Content management.
    06-11-08 02:24 PM
    I see. So you don't have *any* messaging infrastructure of your own?

BES is going to want to connect to something as it's primary function in life is messaging content delivery.

To be honest I don't think you can even install BES w/o some messaging platform. e.g. Exchange, Domino, Groupwise.
    06-11-08 03:02 PM
    No we don't.

The Blackberries are given to our higher level employees for their communications and correspondences.

The reason we want to use BES, is to control the software that is being used in those BB, so we can control the bandwidth used by these devices.

I was able to install BES without a messaging platform, but yes I was not able to setup the configuration as it needs some sort of message delivery platform information.

So I am assuming that I will not be able to do what I want to do without having some thing like Exchange running ?

Will Outlook be able to take on that role, by configuring it to work as the messaging client, through our own email servers ?
    06-11-08 03:22 PM
    Unfortunately no Outlook, much like BES, is a client only, and needs the Exchange back-end, or some other messaging infrastructure to work.
    06-11-08 03:34 PM
    No we don't.

The Blackberries are given to our higher level employees for their communications and correspondences.

The reason we want to use BES, is to control the software that is being used in those BB, so we can control the bandwidth used by these devices.

I was able to install BES without a messaging platform, but yes I was not able to setup the configuration as it needs some sort of message delivery platform information.

So I am assuming that I will not be able to do what I want to do without having some thing like Exchange running ?

Will Outlook be able to take on that role, by configuring it to work as the messaging client, through our own email servers ?
    Even though you CAN install BES onto a terminal server without a messaging client, you will not be able to use most features. The exchange server basically links the PIN's and the Email accounts together.

This is to my knowledge since I have tried this at work and hasn't worked without my exchange server running.

Thanks
    06-15-08 10:35 AM

You can control the software and many functions that the BB has through the BES. We use that at our work to block third party applications and other functions on the device.
    06-15-08 10:43 AM
    Hey Threefive,

Can you instruct me how I can get this going in BES without Exchange ?

Thanks
    06-17-08 08:25 AM
    So if I decide to use BES without Exchange, how can I go about managing these devices connected directly to BES through a USB cable.

In other words any changes that needs to be done can only be done by the device connected to BES.

Is there a way I can do this ?
    If so how can I do this ?

I am asking this because when I connected a Blackberry to the BES it showed the device as Read-Only, and thus I cannot perform and changes to it.

Thanks
    06-27-08 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD