Ok, so I will try and be as brief as possible...

Prior to signing up for BES (our company has BES server) anytime I would transfer to a new blackberry, I would restore everything through DM. Worked great, transferred all settings, etc.

All my settings, saved passwords, wifi keys, profiles, autotext, etc would transfer.

Now that I am signed up for BES, only my messages, contacts, calendar, tasks are transferred.

When I try to restore settings from my old berry to my new one, the settings will not transfer. They are listed in gray (on DM) and it says "unavailable items will not be transferred if they are set up for wireless sync...they are now read-only...blah blah blah"

Question: What all does the BES backup? (does it backup the settings?...it looks like it does when I activate my berry through the enterprise activation)

Question: If not, how do I get my settings back!

This has been very frustrating for me as I have many settings that I don't want to reconfigure/save!!!
    09-21-09 07:57 PM
    The BES doesnt backup these things, it provides over the air sync with messages, calendar, contacts and tasks.

If you want to restore data from a backup file (.IPD) to your newly activated company BES, your best route is to use the Advanced feature of backup and restore, to only retore the data types you need (i.e. saved passwords, retc) though I would be very careful as you could end up overwriting BES data and have to re-enterprise activate.
    09-22-09 06:18 AM
    I have already tried an advanced restore from multiple different IPD files even. That is where the settings that I want to restore are grayed out and it says at the bottom that those settings are configured for wireless synchronization.

Im not too concerned about re-activating to the BES, because I sit right next to our blackberry admin.

Perhaps if I were to deactivate from the BES, then I could restore these features?....now how do I deactivate?..talk to my BB admin?
    09-22-09 06:30 AM
    Yes talk to him about it, also you can reset back to factory that will do it. Also it might be an IT policy thing that wont let you restore.
    09-22-09 06:52 AM
    When you look in the advanced restore options, all items listed in gray are items retained by the BES server. The items are restored to the phone on enterprise activation. There are limits on this if you have changed device type. If you wipe your handheld then restore before enterprise activating you will see that almost all grayed items are now black and thus restored to your handheld. Again device changes may cause some device specific data to be skipped. Hope this helps.

Edd
    09-22-09 09:31 AM
    When you look in the advanced restore options, all items listed in gray are items retained by the BES server. The items are restored to the phone on enterprise activation. There are limits on this if you have changed device type. If you wipe your handheld then restore before enterprise activating you will see that almost all grayed items are now black and thus restored to your handheld. Again device changes may cause some device specific data to be skipped. Hope this helps.

Edd
    I see, so it sounds like the BES does backup more that just email, contacts, tasks and calendar.

So when my BES admin re-activates me, should he be using the "move user" option? or what option should he use?...besdies just deleting me and re-adding me?
    09-22-09 09:50 AM
    jhill,

Your BES Admin does not need to do anything except reset your activation password. When You wipe your phone it will disconnect you from your BES. Then restore any data from the backup you want to keep. After the restore go through the enterprise activation process again.
    That being said, if you need the information on the BES to be wiped then the BES Admin needs to delete your account from the BES server and add you back, this will clear your data on the BES. Do not have the BES Admin "recover" your user.

Edd
    09-22-09 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD