Ok, in my workplace I have been given a Z10, awesome! We have some old PlayBooks floating around so I asked if I could use one and utilize the Mobile Hot spot feature for obvious reasons. For some reason my IT department disabled the Mobile Hot spot on all BlackBerry devices stating that because we are on BES10 the data rates are astronomical!!!

Can anyone explain why or is this an urban legend... it should be pointed out that all our IT people have personal iPhones or Androids...just putting it out there...

Posted using my amazing and intelligent Z10
    05-07-14 07:56 PM
    Uh, BES10 really has no effect on your data uses. Data is data. Sure, there may be some additional usage with the syncing and such but that has no impact on HotSpot data that I'm aware of.
    05-07-14 10:15 PM
    Ok, in my workplace I have been given a Z10, awesome! We have some old PlayBooks floating around so I asked if I could use one and utilize the Mobile Hot spot feature for obvious reasons. For some reason my IT department disabled the Mobile Hot spot on all BlackBerry devices stating that because we are on BES10 the data rates are astronomical!!!

Can anyone explain why or is this an urban legend... it should be pointed out that all our IT people have personal iPhones or Androids...just putting it out there...

Bottom line is your employer does NOT want you using hot spot, as Bla1ze rightly pointed out there is no effect ,we run BES 10 and really there is minimal changes in data for syncing. They probably think you will go off using the hot spot excessively.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 10:22 PM
    Can you install Bridge on the personal partition of the device? I use it on my government issued Z10 all the time since it gives me the ability to manage servers and access internal websites where a larger screen is a little more welcome.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:45 AM
    They may have mis spoken and meant the Z10 uses data excessively. it does not compress non BES data anymore, so you can easily use many GB of data when using hotspot. If they do not have the appropriate plans or unlimited data, charges can be ridiculous.

But as was said before, this has nothing to do with BES10, but does with BB10

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:43 AM
    I agree with every reply in the thread.

Maybe you can explain to them that you only intend to use the hotspot with the PlayBook and surf the same pages as you would with the Z10.

If they make an exception honor it by keeping an eye on you hotspot statistics and stay below the acceptable limit.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 12:09 PM

As someone says above, they probably think you're going to grab your laptop and stream every episode of Friends in HD, while you download Skyrim through a torrent, email your 400 page novel transcript in PDF format to your friend to read over, and video call your cousin in Australia to explain step by step how to take apart a car engine while also streaming online radio (the Friends episodes are just to look at, you don't care for the sound), in addition to all that you have to do on for work, all through your BES connection. Lol, good thing you have a BlackBerry or you'd never get anything done, lol.

However, if their respective phones (or other people's non - BlackBerry phones) have their hot spot feature enabled, then you have a bias problem. And if so, I would be up in arms if I were you. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 12:21 PM
    All good points, thank you. I'll be visiting my IT department with an arm load of coffee and some informed approaches... again, thank you for the input.

05-08-14 06:26 PM