I was reading another post on this site and I saw people talking about the log files, so I went to check my own log files. I found that my BES running for about 2 months now had over 14GB of log files. I have only 6 BB's on my BES. Why would it grow so large? I have not changed any default settings on the log file settings. Is it ok to just delete the old log files?
    04-20-07 01:40 PM
    ...sounds like you're logging too much information. In the log options there are about 10+ things that you can log. I think we only do two here...

Audit01 could probably better answer this...

...just checked, and we only do two here: SRP & IPPP
    Last edited by anon(153966); 04-20-07 at 01:59 PM.
    04-20-07 01:51 PM
    To be honest, I've only looked at my log files maybe a handfull of times over the years. I've never worked anywhere that had a policy on the logs and more or less let me run the BES the way I wanted to, including the IT policy's. I leave the log settings the way they are after the install and that's it. When I see my drive starting the fill up then I'll delete a couple months worth of logs since they are set to create new ones each day.

Even different companies that I've setup BES servers for, I've left it to the BES Admin's to do what they want with the logs after I've trained them and I think most of them just move them off the server after a certain period.
    04-20-07 02:19 PM
    I had a quick look at some of the log files and they dont really mean much to me anyways so I deleted most of them.

Another question for you though, maybe should have satrted a new thread, but when I use the blackberry browser and go the home page I am being prompted for a username and password for the proxy that we have at work. Why is it going through our work proxy. The internet works fine on the my BB though.
    04-20-07 04:59 PM
    If it's going through the proxy, there must be an I.T. Policy telling it to do so...

No need to do that if you just stop users from downloading and installing applications to the BlackBerry...
    04-20-07 05:07 PM
    If it's going through the proxy, there must be an I.T. Policy telling it to do so...
    <snip>
    Why? Surely if the box is set to route all internet traffic through the proxy (irrelevant of BES and usually done by AD policy), that will affect the MDS traffic regardless of any IT policy on the handheld. I don't actually know this but if that wasn't the case, a BB could circumvent any proxy restrictions by using MDS and I can't see RIM getting away with that. But i have been know to be wrong sometimes :->
    05-11-07 11:11 PM
    Good point. But the way we have it setup at work, a group policy adds proxy settings when users are logged onto the network. But it in no way connects to / talks to BES...
    05-12-07 08:54 AM
    Good point. But the way we have it setup at work, a group policy adds proxy settings when users are logged onto the network. But it in no way connects to / talks to BES...
    OMG that is sooo bad (IMHO)! Why not just apply the policy to the machines, not really any point in making it user-based with accounts like besadmin out there. I bet the besadmin account can do some fun stuff in your environment :-)
    05-14-07 12:58 PM
    I have been using my business issued blackberry message for personal use for awhile now, which includes some conversations I wouldn't want anyone at work seeing . Can my blackberry messenger messages be viewed or audited by work? If you tell me yes - is there a way to erase these conversations?
    Help!
    thanks
    MM
    05-14-07 05:02 PM
    It all depends on your IT Policy, if it's work issued then consider anything you do on it also showing up on HR's screen.

NEVER do ANYTHING on any work issued device that you wouldn't want/do/say in front of HR or your Boss.
    05-14-07 07:38 PM
    ...here, here!
    05-15-07 02:58 AM
    When using the blackberry browser, what type of info is logged on the BES? Is it like apache where all get and post requests will be logged? Also is the traffic traceable to a specific handheld device?

I want to know what I will be able to catch people doing!
    06-06-07 08:28 AM
    Our logs don't show Internet sites visited, we don't have it set to log that. But, having said that, we have BES Policies in place to prevent certain things...
    06-06-07 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD