Is it just me or is the RIM provided installation documentation tough to follow? I'm attempting a first time installation and I'm running into all kinds of troubles. Does anyone know of a place where I can find some clear docs with screen shots?

Thanks.
    03-14-07 11:08 AM
    ...is it a server or something you're trying to install? What documents are you referring to exactly, is my question...

ps: I must install a BES server myself one day...
    03-14-07 11:15 AM
    Yep, should have been more clear. It's a server - 4.1.2. I'm looking for something like a step by step manual.

Thanks.
    03-14-07 11:21 AM
    For Exchange I should add.
    03-14-07 11:22 AM
    1. Install Exchange System on BES Server. Ensure that it is the exact SP as the Exchange Server. Also ensure the port 3101 TCP is open on the firewall.

2. Create a new user called BESadmin and ensure you create a mailbox. Ensure this user is ONLY a member of "Domain users"

3. Make BESadmin a local Administrator of the BES server

4. Go to Admin Tools on open "Local Security Policy" and expand the "Local Policies" and "User Right Assignment". You need to add BESadmin to "Log on Locally" and log on as Service".

5. Open Exchange System Manager and right mouse click on "DOMIANNAME (Exchange)" and select Delegate Control. Follow the steps and add BESadmin as an Exchange View Only Administrator.

6. In Exchange manager expand the servers folder and right mouse click on your server and select properties. On the properties windows select BESadmin and add the permissions "Administer Mailbox Store, Receive As, Send As"

7. Open Active Directory and from the View menu select "Advanced Features". Then go to each user that will be added to the BES and open their properties, go to the security tab and add the user BESadmin and add the security permission "Send As". (This will overcome some MS patches that prevent BES sending emails)

8. Log on as BESadmin and install the BES software, normally you just install "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" as most sites don't use the MDS services (MDS is a much heavier install). Follow the prompts of the install and the server will be required to restart half way through the install. Restart the server and log back on as BESadmin and the install will continue. (Make sure the Connect Test works and the SRP ID etc is validated during the install)

9. After the install is finished open BlackBerry Manager, an error will appear about MAPI client which you can just hit OK. The MAPI setting windows will appear so just add the server name back in and select "Check Name", if it resolves just hit OK and the manager will start.

10. Within Blackberry Manager click on Blackberry Domain in the left column and then the users SERVERS tab in the centre section, select your server within this tab and view the properties below. Ensure that "SRP Status:" is Connected (This can take a few minutes the first time so refresh the screen a few times). Once your status is connected you can start adding users.

11. Within Blackberry Manager click on you server name in the left column and then the users TAB in the centre section, just add a user and the click on that user. You will see all the users’ properties and a drop down menu called "Service Access” and select “Set Activation Password” and set a password of “a” for example.

12. Turn on you BlackBerry device and ensure Wireless is enabled. Go into “Options/Settings” and “Time & Date” and set the correct zone and time etc. Then from the home screen go to enterprise activation and enter the users email address and enter the password that was set in step 10. Press the track wheel and select Activate. Within a minute you should get data returned which indicates the process is functioning correct.

Extra

a. Also ensure you review the IT Policy in BlackBerry Manager. This can be found in BlackBerry Domain > Global TAB > Edit properties. It is recommended that in the IT Policy you go into “Device Only Items” and set “Enable WAP config” to FALSE, this will force user to use the free browser (It uses the internet connection of your BES server)

b. If you are unable to activate devices wirelessly you can test your connectivity to Blackberry buy running the following app from the command prompt:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility\BBSrpTest.exe

This will send a signal to BB and wait for a response, it this fails check your firewall settings (open and/or direct port 3101 TCP to you BES server)

Also https://www.blackberry.com/blackberr...eo/sendAs.html
    Restart the System Attendant on your Exchange Server to clear the Information Store Cache, or stop the BlackBerry Router Service for 20 minutes to wait for that cache to clear automatically.

The above link is VERY Important.
    Last edited by audit; 03-14-07 at 11:33 AM.
    03-14-07 11:26 AM
    Hmm, very nice - appears to be just what I was looking for. The installer will create the SQL DB correct? Any thing special that I need to kno about with that?

Thanks for you help.
    cdnynot likes this.
    03-14-07 12:58 PM
    If you follow the directions during installation then yes. I don't have mine attached to a MySQL server because I don't have enough users to worry about so use the basic one, name slips my mind right now.
    03-14-07 01:02 PM
    Audit01, this is a brilliant write-up. I was just saying to myself, one day I will install Exchange and BES - now I will use your guide!

Thanks again...
    03-14-07 08:29 PM
    Good post audit01, your experience and knowledge shows well...
    03-15-07 07:48 AM
    Yup, agreed, that was good stuff audit.
    03-25-07 04:43 PM
    This is something I put together for another forum which may help with any pre-installation work such as preparing hardware, software and which permissions to set:

Hardware Requirements

RIM�s minimum recommendations for the hardware on which you want to run BES are:

Intel Pentium IV processor (2GHz or higher)
    1.5GB RAM
    1GB of free disk space

Your BES should also be located near your Exchange Server to avoid issues with latency

Network Environment & Firewall Configuration

Do not put the BES in a DMZ

Configure your firewall to initiate a bi-directional TCP/IP connection to an external server on port 3101

Verify that the firewall can resolve Internet addresses using DNS

If using a proxying firewall, ensure that the proxy is transparent

SPAM & Anti Virus Systems

You must allow .DAT file attachments to pass through to users mailboxes for Enterprise Activation

You must ensure your Anti SPAM software does not prevent activation messages reaching users� mailboxes. The best way to configure this is to allow all emails from *.blackberry.net

BES Software Requirements

Your BES server will need to run Microsoft Windows 2000 (Server or Advanced Server editions) or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP1

You will need to install Microsoft Exchange 2003 System Manager ONLY (do not install a full Exchange Server on the BES computer)

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 or later

Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.0 or later (to read the user guides)

You must install MSDE 2000 Release A or SQL 2000 on the same computer as the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. You can also utilise a remote SQL server if required.

Microsoft Exchange Infrastructure

Microsoft Exchange 2003 native environment

Any Microsoft Exchange service packs that are installed on your mail server must also be installed on the BES computer

Do not install Microsoft Outlook on the computer on which you intend to install BES

Install and register the cdo.dll hot fix in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\BIN\ on the BES computer to obtain the correct Messaging API (MAPI) version. The version number on the BES computer must be the same or higher than the CDO.dll on your Exchange Server

Verify that the BES is in the same Microsoft Exchange domain as your messaging server

Configuration Database

If you intend to install your database on the same computer as BES, install one of the following database programs:

1. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000)

2. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3a

3. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (Professional or Enterprise)

If your configuration database is on a remote server, you must enable network protocols to make a connection

Microsoft SQL Server must not be installed with case-sensitive collation settings. Use the default case-insensitive collation settings.

Install one of the following Microsoft Data Access Component (MDAC) versions on the computer where you plan to install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:

1. MDAC 2.8 with Security Patch MS04-003 (version 2000.85.1025.00)

2. MDAC 2.8 Service Pack 2 (version 2000.86.1830.00)

If you are using Microsoft SQL Server, download and install the appropriate Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) driver.

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 driver for JDBC Service Pack 3: Visit
    Downloads for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 for more information

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 driver for JDBC: Visit
    Downloads for SQL Server 2005 for more information

Database Permissions

If creating the configuration database on the BES computer, assign System Administrator permission

If creating the configuration database on a remote database server during the BES installation, assign Server Administrator and Database Creator permissions

BESAdmin Permissions

Create a Windows 2000 Domain User to act as your BES service account and create an Exchange mailbox for the newly created user.

Initialize the mailbox by sending a test message to the newly created service account mailbox

The service account requires a minimum of the following Windows 2000 permissions:

* Log on locally with local permissions
    * Log on as a service
    * Local administrator

The service account requires a minimum of the following Microsoft Exchange 2003 permissions:

* View Only Administrator. This permission should be set to enable (at minimum) access at the Administrative Groups level in Microsoft Exchange 2003 to be able to read from the Active Directory.

* Administrator Information store, Send as, and Receive as. These permissions should be set at the Microsoft Exchange server level.

You must ensure your Group Policy does not conflict and override the permissions set for the BESAdmin

Terminal Services

Windows Server 2000: If installed, select Remote Administration mode
    Windows Server 2003: Do not install; select Remote Desktop mode on the System Properties Remote tab

Multiple Languages

You can enable additional languages to support Unicode in the BlackBerry Manager using the Windows regional options

Download the Microsoft Internet Explorer Multilanguage support pack and adjust the encoding to view Chinese Simplified [GB2312] and, or Chinese Traditional [Big5]

USB Hub

If you are running a USB hub, verify that the driver supports USB 1.1 compliant hubs

As a final point, when it comes to actually installing your BES server, make sure you are logged on as the BESAdmin account!!
    04-04-07 10:39 AM
    Thanks BBAdmin!
    04-04-07 03:37 PM
    It's good to see the instructions I wrote are making there way around the web. My instructions that audit01 posted have also been changed to suit SBS users and can be found on on my forum.
    04-09-07 11:23 AM
    *******Here is my updated version for SBS 2003 or Domain Controllers

Gary's BES install guide for SBS 2003 or Domain Controller

1. Ensure the port 3101 TCP is open on the firewall (Outbound ONLY).

2. Create a new user called BESadmin and ensure you create a mailbox. Ensure this user is ONLY a member of "Domain users"

3. Make BESadmin a local Administrator of the server. This is done in AD via the "Built-in" Administrators group

4. Go to Admin Tools on open "Domain Controller Security Policy" and expand the "Local Policies" and "User Right Assignment". You need to add BESadmin to "Log on Locally" and "log on as Service".

5. Open Exchange System Manager and right mouse click on "DOMIANNAME (Exchange)" and select Delegate Control. Follow the steps and add BESadmin as an Exchange View Only Administrator.

6. In Exchange manager expand the servers folder and right mouse click on your server and select properties. On the properties windows select BESadmin and add the permissions "Administer Mailbox Store, Receive As, Send As"

7. Open Active Directory and from the View menu select "Advanced Features". Then go to each user that will be added to the BES and open their properties, go to the security tab and add the user BESadmin and add the security permission "Send As". (This will overcome some MS patches that prevent BES sending emails)

8. Log on as BESadmin and install the BES software, normally you just install "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" as most sites don't use the MDS services (MDS is a much heavier install). Follow the prompts of the install and the server will be required to restart half way through the install. Restart the server and log back on as BESadmin and the install will continue. (Make sure the Connect Test works and the SRP ID etc is validated during the install)

9. After the install is finished open BlackBerry Manager, an error will appear about MAPI client which you can just hit OK. The MAPI setting windows will appear so just add the server name back in and select "Check Name", if it resolves just hit OK and the manager will start.

10. Within Blackberry Manager click on Blackberry Domain in the left column and then the users SERVERS tab in the center section, select your server within this tab and view the properties below. Ensure that "SRP Status:" is Connected (This can take a few minutes the first time so refresh the screen a few times). Once your status is connected you can start adding users.

11. Within Blackberry Manager click on you server name in the left column and then the users TAB in the centre section, just add a user and the click on that user. You will see all the users’ properties and a drop down menu called "Service Access” and select “Set Activation Password” and set a password of “a” for example.

12. Turn on your BlackBerry device and ensure Wireless is enabled. Go into “Options/Settings” and “Time & Date” and set the correct zone and time etc. Then from the home screen go to enterprise activation and enter the users email address and enter the password that was set in step. Press the track wheel and select Activate. Within a minute you should get data returned which indicates the process is functioning correct.

Extra

a. Also ensure you review the IT Policy in BlackBerry Manager. This can be found in BlackBerry Domain > Global TAB > Edit properties. It is recommended that in the IT Policy you go into “Device Only Items” and set “Enable WAP config” to FALSE, this will force user to use the free browser (It uses the internet connection of your BES server). It is also highly recommended that you configure a password policy prior to rolling out any handhelds.

b. If you are unable to activate devices wirelessly you can test your connectivity to Blackberry buy running the following app from the command prompt:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility\BBSrpTest.exe

This will send a signal to BB and wait for a response, it this fails check your firewall settings (open and/or direct port 3101 TCP to you BES server)

c. If you have Domain Admins using BlackBerry devices you may have to run the following script if you are unable to send email for those users devices:

dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=domainname,dc=c om " /G "DOMAINNAME\BESadmin:CA;Send As"
    Last edited by GaryCutri; 04-09-07 at 11:34 AM.
    04-09-07 11:25 AM
    Also you can find my simple 5 step solution for the Send As issue here:

Unlisted message error or Desktop email program unable to submit message - BlackBerry Forums
    04-09-07 11:27 AM
    Would blackberry server function using dyndns.com. I dont have static IP address.

thanks in advance
    04-29-07 06:59 PM
    It probably would! But, for better consistent service, get a static IP. Bellsouth charge $14.95 for theirs. Not sure where you're located, but...
    04-29-07 08:11 PM
    Thanks for the doc Gary.

We're running Exchange as part of SBS2003 SP2 on a server. I just got another server running Server2003 SP2 for BES Express.

I have all the CD's for SBS2003 but can't seem to find the one I need to install Exchange System Manager on the BES server. Which one is it?

Can I install Exchange System Manager on a BES server or should I be installing BES Express on the SBS2003 server? I'll only have, at most, 10 users for quite awhile. 3 users to start.

Thanks for the help guys!
    05-15-07 11:01 PM
    It is preferred that you don't install the BES software on the Exchange server but it does work perfect. To install the Exchange Systems Manager on another server insert the SBS CD2 and go to the "EXCHSRVR65" directory and double click setp.exe (Note: you need IIS installed before you can install ESM).

Once you run setup.exe an install option screen will appear, on the right hand side select "Exchange Deployment Tools" and "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" and the second screen that appears. Then scroll to the bottom of the next screen and select "Run Setup Now". You will see a wizard appear, just hit "next" and then "I agree" and then enter your SBS license key. Once you enter the license key the next screen will prompt you for what you would like to install, just select "Custom" to the left of Microsoft Exchange" and then "Install" beside "Microsoft Exchange System Manager". Then just follow the remaining prompts until it is installed. Once completed download and run Exchange SP2 and the machine you just installed ESM on.
    05-16-07 04:07 AM
    Gary, thanks very much. I was able to get Exchange System Manager installed and BES Express too. Just a couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

I'm able to open Blackberry Manager and add myself as a user. It's pulling from the list of users in Exchange but it stays at "Initializing" when I create the user.

I get an email from blackberry.net that keeps going into my junk mail folder. By the way, how do I keep these emails from going into junk? I tried adding "@*.ept.na.blackberry.net" but they still go into junk mail.

When I went through the installation doc, all the test connection check points worked fine.

One weird thing I noticed is that when add myself as a user, it's showing "[email protected]" as the email address instead of [email protected]. Enterprise.local is the domain. Is that right?

I feel like I'm sooo close to this thing working but there's one or two really small things that I haven't figured out yet. Arrrgggh!!! lol
    05-16-07 08:58 PM
    Alright, so I'm still stuck at "Initializing". I've got the blackberry.net emails going into my inbox and not junk mail so that's fixed. Also, my email does show up instead of enterprise.local.

But still can't get wireless activation to work. When I try and connect via USB, it all looks good but I get an error back saying it hasn't recognized the user yet. Very strange. Also, I can generate and send a password and that goes through fine.

To me it seems like there's something on the server causing a problem. I would think that connecting via USB would have to work unless something wasn't right?
    05-17-07 02:00 PM
    I'm having my own little tech support conversation...lol I think there's some kind of mapi error-thingy going on. Here's what the log shows:

[30053] (05/17 14:52:42.674):{0x254} Retry start for user: /o=ENTERPRISE/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=bgomez

[30041] (05/17 14:52:42.674):{0x254} Starting handheld for Brandon Gomez

[40704] (05/17 14:52:42.674):{0x254} MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox(2) ServerDN=/o=ENTERPRISE/ou=first administrative group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=ECSSBS/cn=Microsoft Private MDB, MailboxDN=/o=ENTERPRISE/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=bgomez

[40739] (05/17 14:52:42.674):{0x254} MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox(2) - ResolveName[1] success for DisplayName='/o=ENTERPRISE/ou=first administrative group/cn=Recipients/cn=bgomez'

[40204] (05/17 14:52:42.674):{0x254} MailboxManager::GetMailboxSession - Using MAPI profile 'BlackBerryServer'

[40430] (05/17 14:52:42.690):{0x254} {[email protected]} MAPIMailbox::MAPIMailbox(2) - Mailbox opened on session 0x013925f8 (ECSSBS)

[40405] (05/17 14:52:42.690):{0x254} {[email protected]} MAPIMailbox::OpenIPMSubtree - OpenEntry (0x8004010f) failed

[40205] (05/17 14:52:42.690):{0x254} MailboxManager::CloseMailboxSession - closing session

[20154] (05/17 14:52:42.690):{0x254} User Brandon Gomez not started

[50079] (05/17 14:52:42.690):{0x254} 1 user(s) failed to initialize

Any ideas???
    05-17-07 05:11 PM
    Hey Sparkomatic, not sure bout the solution but i m also facing such problems with my BES server.. But when u get an error "It Hasn''t recognized the user" , just wait 3-4 mins & let the BES Server recognize it, lolz, then detach USB cable from BES & then reattach it..Sounds weird but It works for me, hopefully it'll help u too..
    05-23-07 09:04 AM
    Your errors are more related to permission issues with the BESadmin account accessing the users mailboxes. Can you confirm you installed the BES as per the instructions on the thread?
    06-04-07 02:02 AM
    How does RIM locate a BES server? Does it find it by IP address, or does it rely on an MX record for the domain?

I have an Exchange server, which has a static IP address, but no MX record for the domain name. Will BES work?

Keith
    06-28-07 06:26 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD