We have a BES here in our network with only about 6 users. When there was the outage at RIM about a week ago would that have affect us? If so why? Maybe I dont understand how it all works, but why does my BES need to talk to their servers to send emails?
    04-26-07 03:08 PM
    Yes, BES users were having problems also. However, I'm not on a BES and can't give you much more info than that. Navilyn or Audit01 will probably chime in with more on this shortly.
    04-26-07 06:38 PM
    BES is 'your' engine, and it talks to RIM for EVERY email transaction. RIM is like the routing engine, telling all the emails where to go. The benefit of BES is that you have control who can do what & when on 'your' server. And this is because data, i.e company email actually belongs to the company and NOT the individual user sending/receiving...
    Last edited by anon(153966); 04-27-07 at 03:28 AM. Reason: I was rushed on initial reply - was being filmed...
    04-26-07 06:42 PM
    1) A firm's mail-server like MS Exchange receives an email message

2) The redirector looks in the email account, finds the message, and forwards it, (encrypted) over the internet to RIM's Blackberry service, (one of it's two NOC's in Canada)

3) RIM's Blackberry service sends the message to the wireless data network, ie. a wireless network provider like Verizon or O2 that supports the Blackberry service.

4) The wireless data network provider sends the message over it's wireless network to the Blackberry device.

5) The Blackberry receives the signal, and downloads and displays the message.
    04-27-07 03:23 PM
    Brilliant explaination!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-07 03:29 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. It all makes sense now.
    04-27-07 05:38 PM
    Ok... so I've got a quick question that I've always wondered. How does this work...

I'm on BES and if I send myself an attachement to my blackberry, where is that attachement? Does it go to RIM or does it sit on my BES server waiting to be delivered (for viewing).

Thanks! ~Shayne
    04-28-07 04:51 PM
    As far as I know it's sitting on the Exchange / Domino server waiting to be collected / viewed...

Audit01 should be along shortly and can verify this...
    04-28-07 09:39 PM
    It goes to RIM and back to your BES Server, when you install the BES server, you also install the Attachment server part of it and that's what handles the attachments. I could be wrong on this but that's how it was explained to me. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.
    04-29-07 08:18 AM
    They actually stay on your mail server until you PULL them. The attachment service displays the fact that you have an attachment.
    It decides if the Blackberry can handle to type of attachment.
    And if you ask to open it it handles pushing it through the MDS
    08-21-07 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD