After talking to a level 3 BBRY TSupport tech on the weekend, here's what I have learned about BES 12.

BES 12 is a much smaller foot print compared to BES 10.1.x, BBRY decided to do away with IIS and put everything into Apache.
    If you have BES 5 in your environment you will need to keep it, BES 12 will integrate with BES 5 on the front-end.
    Even though it's supposedly not recommend by BBRY you can install BES 12 your BES 5 server (you might be on your own for this) otherwise the recommendation is putting on its own box.

The tech I was talking to has been testing BES 12 in many different scenario's, including migrations etc.
    Last edited by smoothrunnings; 10-27-14 at 08:31 AM.
    10-27-14 08:14 AM
    After talking to a level 3 BBRY TSupport tech on the weekend, here's what I have learned about BES 12.

BES 12 is a much smaller foot print compared to BES 10.1.x, BBRY decided to do away with IIS and put everything into Apache.
    If you have BES 5 in your environment you will need to keep it, BES 12 will integrate with BES 5 on the front-end.
    Even though it's supposedly not recommend by BBRY you can install BES 12 your BES 5 server (you might be on your own for this) otherwise the recommendation is putting on its own box.

The tech I was talking to has been testing BES 12 in many different scenario's, including migrations etc.
    Then that is no different from BES 10.1. They already have the ability to do all this. That is not that I have read. BES 12 integrates all the BB versions and eliminates the need for BES 5. I am sure you can run it along side and manage as you migrate to BES12. And it isn't what Blackberry says.

http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...nterprise.html
    10-27-14 08:38 AM
    Smoothrunnings is correct you will still need BES5 the support in Bes 12 isn't: native for bbos

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 07:59 PM
    basically you will upgrade your bes5 database to bes12 but keep using the back end components of bes5 and the front end of bes12.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-29-14 07:45 AM
    I know a lot of admins are going to be pissed. BES12 was touted as a single solution (single platform <=> single server) for legacy and BB10 devices along with iOS, Android and WP.
    10-29-14 07:59 AM
    from what I gather it can all be installed on the same server and you really just need the back end components of bes5 for it to run but I guess thats really everything lol.

Maybe they should just include the bes5 backend components in the bes12 install
    10-29-14 02:17 PM
    In that case, it sounds like there are going to be a lot of 'stacked' installs.
    10-30-14 07:45 AM
    So really what they've done is just make it easier to install BES12 on to an existing BES5 server with tighter integration between all the backend services and a single management console for devices and configuration?

Not quite what I was expecting but fortunately I will just be upgrading my BES10 severs. My BES5 severs have so few uses on them now that the clock is ticking until they can be turned off and deleted.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3442 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    dancadman likes this.
    11-11-14 07:03 PM
    It's starting to sound like many assumptions were made with BES 12, however in reality it just wasn't possible to implement it.
    11-12-14 02:18 AM
    So really what they've done is just make it easier to install BES12 on to an existing BES5 server with tighter integration between all the backend services and a single management console for devices and configuration?
    pretty much yes. the bes5 database becomes bes12 friendly but still needs the bes5 components for it to work properly. Theres apparently no way to go back once your bes5 db is upgraded.
    11-12-14 08:07 AM
    It'll be interesting to see what gets installed if you upgrade a BES10 installation to BES12. Will it also install the BES5 components so that legacy BBOS devices couldn't activated against and managed from that server?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3442 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    11-12-14 10:33 AM
    Not at all what they promised, kind of a crappy solution, especially considering they are still selling BBOS devices in big numbers...

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 10:38 AM
    I've been looking for a BES10 vs BES12 document that actually has some bullet points with what is actually new and what we can expect. I have already "ordered" the download from BlackBerry, but there doesn't seem to actually be a download link anywhere that I can find. I did find the manuals here: BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12 - Manuals and Guides if anyone is interested. I'm planning to just upgrade my existing BES10 server to BES12, and like johnnyuk said, keep BESX5 running until the last user is off of it.
    11-13-14 05:09 PM
    I ordered the free download and installed bes12 already on top of my beta bes12 server.

The download link is in your order confirmation email

Posted via CrackBerry App
    dancadman likes this.
    11-13-14 06:40 PM
    Thanks. I checked it today, and you were right, the download and keys were all there. What are your thoughts about upgrading BES10 to BES12 on a production server?

I ordered the free download and installed bes12 already on top of my beta bes12 server.

The download link is in your order confirmation email

11-14-14 04:34 PM
    I don't think there is a direct in place upgrade from bes10 to bes12. You can install bes12 on the same server as 10 but it creates a new database and you migrate within the bes12 console all your bes10 users and policies and then devices. Once everyone is on bes12 then you uninstall your bes10 instance.

I opted for a new bes12 server since at the time I was beta testing and I just updates that version since it works.

11-14-14 04:45 PM
    So, to anyone who has tested upgrading a BES10 server to 12, I'm guessing you'd have to have already bought enough BES12 style CALs for your users and activated them after installing so that when you migrate users and devices over from the BES10 database the devices can continue to work? I read in the docs that a re-activation kicks off on the handset, does it wipe things like Work Drives configs and documents/files in the Work Space?

What about things like the AD integration config and the email profiles, do they migrate over too or do you have to set a lot of the config up again from scratch before things can work?

For iOS devices won't it need a new APNS certificate from Apple imported in to BES12 and installing on to the Exchange CAS servers? Or does it just continue to use the existing certificate?

11-14-14 05:41 PM
    For iOS it basically does an automatic reactivation with the user hitting next a few times. It tells you that you're being migrated to a new environment and to keep your bes client open during the process. When you connect your bes10 to bes12 in the console you migrate your groups and policies etc and then migrate users then lastly devices. It's actually a copy of policies etc not a migration until the actual device.

For android its a seamless migration for the end user. I can't remember if I had to click anything.

We have so few bb10 devices that I don't think I even tested it. We have 2 with 1 actually about to switch.

I did a new server for bes12 so I had to do the new APN and all that anyway. I'm thinking you'll need to do the same with an upgrade too. My assumption is Its really a whole new server/instance just installed on the same physical or virtual machine. I could be way wrong though.

11-14-14 07:42 PM
    Based on my reading, I can install this on my BES 5 server, import in my BES 10 database, then shut down the bes 10 server. Which for me is perfect as the BES10 server is currently actually on an older OS
    11-17-14 03:28 PM
    Based on my reading, I can install this on my BES 5 server, import in my BES 10 database, then shut down the bes 10 server. Which for me is perfect as the BES10 server is currently actually on an older OS
    That sounds about right. You upgrade the bes5 database as well to be bes10 compatible I believe.

11-17-14 08:04 PM
    So, to anyone who has tested upgrading a BES10 server to 12, I'm guessing you'd have to have already bought enough BES12 style CALs for your users and activated them after installing so that when you migrate users and devices over from the BES10 database the devices can continue to work? I read in the docs that a re-activation kicks off on the handset, does it wipe things like Work Drives configs and documents/files in the Work Space?

What about things like the AD integration config and the email profiles, do they migrate over too or do you have to set a lot of the config up again from scratch before things can work?

For iOS devices won't it need a new APNS certificate from Apple imported in to BES12 and installing on to the Exchange CAS servers? Or does it just continue to use the existing certificate?

You can use your bes10 cals at the same time as your bes12 cals I'm told. That way you can do a staged migration as needed.

johnnyuk likes this.
    11-17-14 08:06 PM
    You can use your bes10 cals at the same time as your bes12 cals I'm told. That way you can do a staged migration as needed.

That sounds better, my annual CALS don't expire for another 4 months, don't want to have to buy more early and have two lots on the go.

When BlackBerry get around to showing me my CALS in myblackberry.com I'll test this all out.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1151 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    11-17-14 08:35 PM
    This web page about BES12 and it's costs that appeared on launch day seems to be saying (in the yellow and black section) that perpetual CALs acquired through the EZ Pass offer ARE actually BES12 CALs.

http://us.blackberry.com/enterprise/products/bes12.html

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1151 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.4
    11-18-14 04:48 PM
    This web page about BES12 and it's costs that appeared on launch day seems to be saying (in the yellow and black section) that perpetual CALs acquired through the EZ Pass offer ARE actually BES12 CALs.

http://us.blackberry.com/enterprise/products/bes12.html

They'll be perpetual but I'm pretty sure the same stipulation of you only get to keep the activated amount of traded in licenses still applies

11-18-14 06:28 PM
    They'll be perpetual but I'm pretty sure the same stipulation of you only get to keep the activated amount of traded in licenses still applies

Do you happen to know the cut off date for having a device activated against an EZ Pass CAL before they are lost?

11-20-14 08:47 PM
26 12