Free/Busy data comes through the Availability Service which runs as a part of Exchange Web Services (EWS).

You need to be able to connect to the URL for EWS which means the external URL defined in Exchange must point to an externally accessible connection point for it to work with ActiveSync.

Being able to sync your calendar has nothing to do to accessing the Free/Busy information of others.

If you are using a BES 10 client configuration that pumps all the client data through the BES (all BlackBerry 10 devices and iOS/Android devices configured for enhanced management) then the EWS URL only needs to be accessible from the inside.

To see what your EWS URL is, not that you can use it from a browser but it may give you a name that isn't accessible from the outside) you can use the test connectivity option in Outlook 2007 or later. You access it by right mouse clicking the Outlook icon in the bottom right hand of your screen in the notification area on the windows task bar. I'm not in front of a PC but you may need to hold down the CTRL key when right mouse clicking the Outlook notification icon.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 08:54 PM
    This is because BES 10 only Supports Exchange 2010 and it only is supported with OS 10.1 on the Device!
    05-14-13 11:47 AM
    This is because BES 10 only Supports Exchange 2010 and it only is supported with OS 10.1 on the Device!
    That is incorrect. BES 10 supports Exchange 2007 and later (2003 doesn't have EWS, only public folder based Free/Busy which is one of the reasons it isn't supported):
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/..._Matrix-en.pdf
    What you might be thinking of is the gatekeeping functionality of Exchange 2010 which provides the mechanism to block/allow specific device types, and Exchange 2010 is required by the BES 10 infrastructure to implement this because Exchange 2007 doesn't have that function/feature:
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...ecklist-en.pdf
    05-15-13 06:56 AM
    Maybe I have to be more specific. What I meant it not the genreal Support for Exchange but for Free Busy. FB is only Supported on Exchange 2010 and Bes 10.1. I got this information from Blackberry Technical Support because we opend a Ticket about this issue.
    05-15-13 10:26 AM
    Maybe I have to be more specific. What I meant it not the genreal Support for Exchange but for Free Busy. FB is only Supported on Exchange 2010 and Bes 10.1. I got this information from Blackberry Technical Support because we opend a Ticket about this issue.
    For what it's worth that doesn't make any sense since the EWS and Availability Service hasn't changed in functionality between 2007 and 2010.

We have been working with BlackBerry support throughout the 10.1 BETA, and I can assure you they do have some misinformation they are disseminating. We had to get our BlackBerry reps and the support person on the call together because the support person was insisting there was no HA in the version we were running when our reps were positive there was, and our reps were correct. So I would ask them for the reference as to why free/busy doesn't work with 2007.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 05:58 PM
    For what it's worth that doesn't make any sense since the EWS and Availability Service hasn't changed in functionality between 2007 and 2010.
    From what I understand it's EAS that's the problem now that BES uses it, look at the differences between version 12 and 14...

Comparison of Exchange ActiveSync clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    05-17-13 02:15 AM
    From what I understand it's EAS that's the problem now that BES uses it, look at the differences between version 12 and 14...

Comparison of Exchange ActiveSync clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I totally missed the listing of the Free/busy lookup being added as a feature of ActiveSync 14. Microsoft must have decided they needed to provide a proxy/front end to the Availability Service for some reason.

The old version of BES 5 used the EWS (as an alternative to CDO) to access the free/busy data, but BlackBerry must not have felt the need to add direct EWS acces since Microsoft provided a proxy in ActiveSync 14. I understand why they went this way (path of least resistance) but it's a shame because mow they have limited their 2007 customers when technically they didn't have to.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 06:49 AM
    Free/Busy data comes through the Availability Service which runs as a part of Exchange Web Services (EWS).

You need to be able to connect to the URL for EWS which means the external URL defined in Exchange must point to an externally accessible connection point for it to work with ActiveSync.

Being able to sync your calendar has nothing to do to accessing the Free/Busy information of others.

If you are using a BES 10 client configuration that pumps all the client data through the BES (all BlackBerry 10 devices and iOS/Android devices configured for enhanced management) then the EWS URL only needs to be accessible from the inside.

To see what your EWS URL is, not that you can use it from a browser but it may give you a name that isn't accessible from the outside) you can use the test connectivity option in Outlook 2007 or later. You access it by right mouse clicking the Outlook icon in the bottom right hand of your screen in the notification area on the windows task bar. I'm not in front of a PC but you may need to hold down the CTRL key when right mouse clicking the Outlook notification icon.

Posted via CB10
    ****RESOLVED****
    Great detail HotFix.

By following this post I was able to resolve my issue. Our environment is mixed mode Exchange with 2007 & 2010, BES 10.1, BB10 Q10 with os 10.1.0.276. After running the above Connection test I realized that our EWS url for our 2007 users is different for our 2010 users which causes issues for our 2010, because they have setup auto-discovery to redirect users from the 2007 to the 2010 url if user has an 2010 mailbox. In order to fix the problem for our 2010 users I created a new email policy in the BES 10.1 server that had the new URL for the 2010 EWS instead of the other 2007 EWS url. After policy was applied to user and activation password set, I removed the work perimeter from Q10, then completed the work account setup. Now user is able to click view availability button from within the calendar and can see the free/busy information.
    06-26-13 07:51 PM
    I am able to see free/busy data on my Z10. There is a "View availability" button in the participants section when creating the meeting invite.

Posted via CB10
    I do not use BES, but after latest software update, I can not set my calendar appointment to Away, only to busy, tentative or free. No idea what is going on or why
    09-03-13 06:14 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD