Hi everyone, I apologize profusely if this has been asked, but I have searched the forums to no end and did not find a question like this. (I also googled like crazy seeing if this was asked somewhere else!)

Here is my scenario: I have a work Blackberry and a personal Blackberry. I do like to be "connected" 24/7 due to the nature of my work. I am a little tired of carrying 2 devices around. So, I have been able to forward phone calls from my work BB to my personal one on my days off (this works GREAT! and its more a feature of the cell carrier than the device itself!). So I have been leaving the work BB at home on days off, but find I am missing some emails that I realyl would like to have seen as soon as they came in... so now I want to deal with email. I don't want EVERY work email to come to my personal BB.. just certain ones (if thats even possible..I don't care about how much.. I have unlimited data.. and if its all or nothing.. thats okay too!). I won't be replying to work email that comes to my personal device.. I just want to basically get a CC of any work email that I care about to my personal device .. so I know about it... and can reply to someone via phone if I need to... or on my work BB later when I get to it...So I am looking for the best way to accomplish this.

I tried using the "out of office" assistant in Outlook (yes we're on exchange server) to set up a rule to forward certain emails to my home address when I am out of the office. It doesnt work

I looked through all the settings on my work BB itself to see if there was some sort of "auto forward" option.. and I couldn't find one...

Our IT guys are not overly well versed in the BES... but we are on BES.. and use MS Exchange. (That much I know!)

Looking for any help or ideas about if this is possible... or the best way to accomplish the goal... even if its clunky... LOL ... I can't be the first person having this scenario...

GOAL: get a copy of work email sent to personal device on days off

Cheers!
    05-12-08 06:57 AM
    Let's change your thinking...

I have two Blackberry's, work, and personal. But, I have my personal calls forwarded to my work Blackberry, and I have my personal email accounts setup on BIS, on said work Blackberry.

So, I'm basically using ONE Blackberry, to make / receive calls, and emails. I have filters setup in Desktop Manager to STOP certain emails being sent to my Blackberry, period...

Plus, the benefit of this, I don't have to pay for a Blackberry service, etc, etc...
    05-12-08 07:20 AM
    Let's change your thinking...

I have two Blackberry's, work, and personal. But, I have my personal calls forwarded to my work Blackberry, and I have my personal email accounts setup on BIS, on said work Blackberry.

So, I'm basically using ONE Blackberry, to make / receive calls, and emails. I have filters setup in Desktop Manager to STOP certain emails being sent to my Blackberry, period...

Plus, the benefit of this, I don't have to pay for a Blackberry service, etc, etc...
    I totally hear you... except.. I don't want personal calls going to work BB... and don't want personal emails going to work BB... (for very valid reasons.. LOL.. don't worry nothing untoward hahaha LOL mostly security concerns...) but I am not comfortable with it going the other way around... my personal voicemail for example is very generic... so if a forwarded work call ends up there.. nobody knows the difference... however visa versa.. my work voicemail is MUCH more specific.. and due to some security concerns... I don't want everyone that may phone me knowing what I do for a living etc..

So I totally hear you... and actually have thought about thsi option... but its not viable at this time... Thanks for the advice though!!!!!!!!!!
    05-12-08 07:30 AM
    Wondering if anyone had any other ideas?? hehehehe I am getting a bit nutty and our own IT folks don't know much abotu the BES... other than "activating" a new device hahaha... so.. any other ideas for my original post?? Thanks anyone for helping
    06-12-08 02:05 AM
    As far as I know there is nothing in BES that forwards mail to anything other than the handheld assigned to that user.

You may be able to screw around in Outlook and create some rules.
    06-12-08 11:45 AM
    Allrighty... what about within MS Exchange.. or Outlook... I tried setting up an out of office assistant.. with a rule to forward.. but it doesnt seem to work... the email arrives in my outlook inbox... but doesnt get forwarded... is that because I need my external address to be part of the active directory?? Or am i using incorrect terminology... LOL
    06-13-08 01:17 AM
    You could have you IT guys create a contact within Active Directory for your outside email address, then have them forward all the mail that comes to your user account to that contact.

The only draw back is that everything that comes to your work email will be forwarded to your personal address.
    06-13-08 09:39 AM
    Many business are going to a model to where you provide your own BB and you are given a monthly stipend. We are considering such a model here so users can have their choice of models and carriers.
    06-13-08 11:50 AM
    you may have to simply set up the account on your personal BB (in addition to your work BB)
    06-13-08 12:15 PM
    Interesting question! First review the corporation's security and risk policy re: expected and acceptable behaviour. Most organizations have a clear cut policy that business email and document are to remain protected on their devices and that business email /documents are not to be sent outside the organization to other non-business E-mails or devices.

Most organizations allow staff to login to a Web interface to review and respond to business E-mail from the safety of their own home computer with restrictions on what can be done with attachments (no storage on local device). Check your organization's policy on whether you can use your home PC with Internet access, or whether it must be a company device.

All E-mail traffic is tracked, and redirected E-mail are monitored for non-compliance to policy.

If you are at home sick ... enjoy the day! Forget about trying to beat the system and the security policies or to be creative and out-shine the perceived lack of knowledge by the communication/network folks, as you will not be praised for breaking the ground rules. Documents and content have sensitivity ratings and key words are also tracked. Enjoy your sick day and forget about work!

Also, there are even restrictions on using the company device for personal transactions. Everything is monitored and usage compared against other routine user activity to identify unaccepable behaviour.

Temptation is a cruel thing - especially in the IT world. Respect the boundaries is my closing comment. Cheers!
    11-06-09 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD