My CEO just informed me that he's unable to dial a conf call number that the exec's use each day for a morning conference call. I'm able to dial it from my VZW phone and of course a land line. I just got off the phone with Cingular and they said they are starting to block all number starting with 1-641-985-xxxx and also 1-391-563-xxxx

Has anyone heard of this crap and does anyone have a list of numbers they are blocking? They tried to tell me it was because of abuse but wouldn't go any further, that's bullsh1t to me.

Anyone?
    03-20-07 01:22 PM
    I don't get why they say its abuse. Unless there is something in your contract that says they can block numbers like that, then you should be free to call whoever you want from your phone.
    03-20-07 01:46 PM
    ...is there not a normal fee, or loss of minutes to call these numbers? So, what's the bloody problem here, Cingular?
    03-20-07 01:48 PM
    Here's what I've been able to find out so far from google.

MyDD :: AT&T/Cingular, Sprint, Qwest Blocking Telephone Numbers

Also from FAQ: Get all the answers about 800 conference calling and tele conferencing - FreeConference.com

Calls blocked by long distance carriers

Question:
    I received an email recently concerning number blocking by some major phone carriers. Is this a legitimate issue from your company?
    Answer:

Yes it is. AT&T/Cingular, Sprint and Qwest are currently blocking certain numbers from our service that may impede your ability to conduct your conference calls. These numbers are:

641-297-5400
    641-297-5333
    641-297-5500
    641-297-5600
    641-297-5700
    641-297-5800
    641-297-5900

If you currently use any of these numbers please contact customer service for an alternative number if you or your participants use Cingular, Sprint or Qwest for your conference calls.

I also talked to one of the Cingular reps online and this was his response when I asked about dialing numbers for Freeconferencecall.com even though the FAQ: Get all the answers about 800 conference calling and tele conferencing - FreeConference.com doesn't list the number that we're trying to call.

Steve_Ga: To audit01
    Our company has blocked the ability for their numbers to be dialed from a cell phone. I do know that Cingular incurs a significant cost for calls to these numbers, and such costs are detrimental to our ability to continue to provide reasonably priced calling services to our customers.
    As provided in your contract, Cingular may choose not to provide service to certain classes of numbers. Examples include 976 and 900 numbers, and certain chat and conferencing services that result in the end user and/or Cingular being charged excessive rates. Cingular incurs a significant cost for calls to these numbers, and such costs are detrimental to our ability to continue to provide reasonably priced calling services to our customers.
    03-20-07 01:54 PM
    I wonder if T-Mobile will join the 'band-wagon'...
    03-20-07 01:58 PM
    From what I'm hearing, it sounds like all the companies will be jumping on this bandwagon. I'm glad I don't use my phone for work, just data for the BES and that cost is going to be a nice writeoff on my taxes.
    03-20-07 02:23 PM
    All seems a bit OTT - soon there will be lawsuits everywhere
    03-20-07 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD