Question, I do not think it's possible but you never know.

can a BES push a OS update to a blackberry? Right now, I've diagnose a problem with our current 4.2 OS on our 8830 with bluetooth headset not automatically being able to reconnect. An Os update seem to fix this problem. I want to know if I can deply/push the new OS update or if I have to get them all manually and update them using the desktop manager?
    05-28-08 09:02 AM
    I don't think the OS push is possible *yet*. You might be able to use the web desktop manager to get OS updates out.
    05-28-08 09:37 AM
    You should be able to push out an OS update, you would need to install the OS Update on your BES, then create a software configuration package.
    05-29-08 09:03 AM
    It is possible, but only if you have OS 4.5 on the handheld and BES 4.1.4 (or 4.1.3, I can't remember). Your BES can handle it if when you click on a user, scroll down to the device info section and look for a field called "Software Upgradeable". It has to say "True" before you can push an OS update. It looks pretty easy, but since I don't yet have any 4.5 handhelds, I can't try it out.
    05-29-08 09:23 AM
    So...Your saying it's possible to push the 4.5 OS from the BES?
    10-12-08 05:00 PM
    So...Your saying it's possible to push the 4.5 OS from the BES?
    No. He's saying that if you already have (minimum) 4.5 on the handheld, from then on you can push OS upgrades.
    10-16-08 11:00 AM
    You should be able to push out an OS update, you would need to install the OS Update on your BES, then create a software configuration package.
    Ive done this for the Bold 9000 upgrade, but it wont allow me to change the delivery type, its stuck on Wireline Only, without an option to drop down and choose wireless, anyone had any luck with this?
    10-21-08 07:34 PM
    I've got the "Wireline Only" issue as well. There is no available drop down list to change to wireless. Has anyone else seen this or have a suggestion ?
    05-25-09 07:08 PM
    I think that over the air firmware upgrades are only available from the network operator and not from your BES.

They require at least 4.5 firmware on the device.

On the BES you can just control if the user can select to use the over the air upgrade option.

Vodafone is the only network in the UK that is using this method at present.

This does mean that you can only use network approved firmware.
    05-26-09 03:54 PM
    maybe if Verizon drops the Storm update I will try this out. We have at least a few hundred users that have the Storm and I know they aren't all tech savvy enough to install the update themselves.
    05-31-09 10:32 AM
    Let us know how it works out.
    05-31-09 11:15 AM
    Let us know how it works out.
    I won't do this one until tomorrow, but I had no trouble sending the .75 upgrade through my BES. I didn't set it high priority, users could schedule the update for when they could have some downtime on the device, worked flawlessly. I wish I could do the same with the new AT&T Bold OS.
    05-31-09 09:24 PM
    Prerequisites:
    You have to create the config on the BES
    You have to have have BES 4.1.4
    You have to have handheld 4.5+
    Your carrier has to support OTA updates

You must have all of these parts
    05-31-09 09:27 PM
    I meet all of those BES/Client requirements and installed the latest desktop package for .148 for my storm to the best but it doesn't see it as an upgrade when I tell my device to upgrade it says no upgrades available. Do I have to do something else to add the software to the bes?
    06-02-09 01:18 PM
    When you get the device to look for updates it is checking with the network and not your BES.

You need to create and assign a software configuration and then deploy to the user. These options appeared in 4.1 sp4 onwards.

I'm still not sure that you can deploy firmware upgrade over the air from the BES but if others have done this then maybe they can supply more details.

Over the air updates are smaller packages to the device as they only contain updates.

I'll try this in the next week or so and let you know how I get on.
    06-02-09 02:14 PM
    I have been able to push device updates via BES 5.0 to my storm users but not to the curve users yet. I think it is a VZ issue.
    06-11-09 01:47 PM
    Here is something I wrote for another user. I have pushed upgrades for all my storm users.

I am running BES 5.0 and push the latest upgrade to .148 from my BES server to all Storm users. I cannot figure out how to get the curves to update from BES yet, but I think that is cause Verizon does not do OTA upgrades for the Curves yet.

Here it Goes:

First you have to let BES manage Device software. Under Topology --> Componant View --> BB Administration Server
    Enable BB Device Software Deployment

Now Back under BB Solution Management --> Software --> BB device Software --> Search for new wireless Device Software

It should show up in there, I swear sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. Give it time I like to say it is a VZW issue.
    06-15-09 04:19 PM
    Are you sure the Carrier controls the OTA upgrade? Per RIM once a device has 4.5 or above you can perform OTA upgrades.
    06-16-09 04:32 PM
    For BES 5.0, page 19:

Using the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to update the BlackBerry Device
    Software over the wireless network

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...date_Guide.pdf
    06-17-09 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD