I have a support case open with Blackberry to see if there's a workaround but from what I now understand having Blackberry Protect enabled on BES gives the users access to locate their device, which is extremely helpful, yet also to wipe their devices (including the work perimeter which then removes the device from BES thus no more being able to manage it remotely).

Why is the only option to either have all the options on the device or none? Since the user has to log into a Blackberry website with their Blackberry ID and it knows the PIN, which then knows it's on BES or not, why can't the features be limited that way?

Giving users access to find their phone with the loud sound is great, plus being able to send a display message to the device if left in a cab (for example) is a good thing. Having an employee wipe their entire device remotely is not.

Why can we not have both?
    03-11-14 09:53 AM
    You probably only have a limited amount of time to remotely wipe your device before it is compromised. Why wouldn't you want the user to have this ability? If you get the phone back great, you can reconnect it to BES, in the mean time your tunnel to office work and proprietary knowledge is severed for any would be evil doer.
    03-11-14 10:46 AM
    I have a support case open with Blackberry to see if there's a workaround but from what I now understand having Blackberry Protect enabled on BES gives the users access to locate their device, which is extremely helpful, yet also to wipe their devices (including the work perimeter which then removes the device from BES thus no more being able to manage it remotely).

Why is the only option to either have all the options on the device or none? Since the user has to log into a Blackberry website with their Blackberry ID and it knows the PIN, which then knows it's on BES or not, why can't the features be limited that way?

Giving users access to find their phone with the loud sound is great, plus being able to send a display message to the device if left in a cab (for example) is a good thing. Having an employee wipe their entire device remotely is not.

Why can we not have both?
    Users can wipe their device when it is in their hand as well, removing it from BES. You cannot prevent them from wiping it, why would giving them another avenue to wipe the device really matter?
    03-12-14 10:04 AM
    I posted here originally but decided to make a whole thread about it instead as it turned into a major whinge :

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=914641
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 03-13-14 at 06:35 PM.
    03-13-14 06:17 PM