From what I have read, the new BESX product will work with handheld devices either on a BIS or BES plan. Will all of the functionality offered by BESX work with users having BIS plans, or will some functionality be reserved for those users having BES plans? Why pay the extra $15/month to have BES if I can do everything with BIS? An I missing something or what?
    03-04-10 12:14 PM
    There are fuctionality difference between BES and BESX.

With BESX, the only difference that I can see is that you cannot activate a BB OTA if it's on a BIS plan.
    03-04-10 01:09 PM
    In my opinion. BESX is better than BES. BES can't activate Blackberry with BIS plan. but BESX can. I tested today. it worked on my personal data plan Bold 9700.
    03-09-10 11:19 PM
    There are fuctionality difference between BES and BESX.

With BESX, the only difference that I can see is that you cannot activate a BB OTA if it's on a BIS plan.
    And where are you pulling that from??? I have yet to read any official documentation on it or someone personally tried it. I just know that its compatible with both data plans according to the comparison chart.

Has anyone already tried activating OTA using a BIS data plan?
    03-10-10 07:41 AM
    And where are you pulling that from??? I have yet to read any official documentation on it or someone personally tried it. I just know that its compatible with both data plans according to the comparison chart.

Pulling that from RIM's documentation on BESX.

The only difference between a BB on a BES plan and a BB on a BIS plan is OTA activation and you can't push apps from the BESX to a BIS device.
    03-10-10 09:05 AM

Given the person is on a BIS contract and not BES, you won't have the option to do an OTA activation on the device (it will not appear under advance options - enterprise activation). Local activation is required but will operate on either BIS or BES contracts.

Hope this helps.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    03-10-10 02:35 PM
    Local activation is required but will operate on either BIS or BES contracts.

Hope this helps.
    Local like go into the store?
    03-10-10 03:21 PM
    Local like go into the store?
    Local like connect to the BESX server or to Web Desktop Manager inside the network where BESX is located.

If you have a fleet of BBs where the users can easily come in to the office if they need to be re-activated, it's no big deal. If you have users across the country, they'd be better off with a BES plan.
    03-10-10 03:25 PM
    Local like connect to the BESX server or to Web Desktop Manager inside the network where BESX is located.

If you have a fleet of BBs where the users can easily come in to the office if they need to be re-activated, it's no big deal. If you have users across the country, they'd be better off with a BES plan.
    Yep! Sorry for the confusion, OTA activations are wonderful but as Canuck said, if you've got a small office and everyone is there, plugging their bb's into a computer on the network isn't that bad
    03-10-10 03:53 PM

yes I activated my BIS plan Bold 9700.
    03-11-10 03:02 AM
    I have 2 storm 2s and a curve2. All on bis with Verizon. I pay 29.99 for each phone. I successfully activated all 3 ota. I read that the difference between bes and besx is the number of features you get. With bes there are more administrator settings.

With the curve2 I had to wipe the phone and then setup ota. The storms had the enterprise activation already there. I don't know where the above information came from. I didn't find it in anything I read.

From what I understand the extra 15.00 will allow you to tether your phone. So if you pay 44.99, from verizon, you can tether your phone to your computer to get interent access. I inquired about a tethering plan a few months ago and that is what was explained to me.
    Last edited by fftaz336; 03-11-10 at 09:19 PM.
    03-11-10 08:44 PM
    yes I activated my BIS plan Bold 9700.
    and you mean OTA activated or locally connected to the server?
    03-11-10 09:29 PM
    and you mean OTA activated or locally connected to the server?

Locally. It is not possible to activate your BIS Blackberry OTA so far.
    03-12-10 02:50 AM
    Locally. It is not possible to activate your BIS Blackberry OTA so far.
    Kind of funny because I did three of them a few days ago. see my post above.
    03-12-10 05:25 AM
    Kind of funny because I did three of them a few days ago. see my post above.
    I will try next week. I have a BIS Blackberry. If we can activate BIS OTA. that will be great.
    03-13-10 02:13 PM
    I will try next week. I have a BIS Blackberry. If we can activate BIS OTA. that will be great.
    Make sure you look at the post in this forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f50/fix...vation-436745/

Worked for me.
    03-13-10 07:50 PM
    I need a little help please to clear some questions with BESX and BIS/BES. I have someone in my office that is connected to BESX on BIS. I happened to be mistaken and went in and changed my plan to BES from BIS so I could connect to BESX. We are both on BESX and it is working great. I wanted to go back in to Verizon and change back to BIS today and I read this "change" that Verizon was going to start enforcing and requiring BES data plans on BESX. My question is once Verizon "enforces" this change, how do they stop you from connecting to BESX? Will those with BIS be automatically disconnected? I guess I don't really understand how they enforce this when it is installed and running on our own server. I am fairly new to the BES/BESX world. Thanks for any help.

We also activated both of our phones OTA to BESX. He being on BIS and myself being on BES. We had to do a battery pull for a couple of minutes for Enterprise Activation to show up on his phone under advanced options. I have heard of other people having to do this also.
    03-15-10 04:03 PM
    I activated a Verizon Storm with only a BIS plan yesterday OTA on my BESx server. It worked perfectly. Today I read that Verizon is supposed to require users to pay for the heftier data plan. I'm very curious to see how this plays out.
    03-23-10 10:51 AM
    I activated a Verizon Storm with only a BIS plan yesterday OTA on my BESx server. It worked perfectly. Today I read that Verizon is supposed to require users to pay for the heftier data plan. I'm very curious to see how this plays out.
    How did you activate it OTA? With a BIS plan enterprise activation is gone on the phone.
    03-23-10 01:39 PM
    How did you activate it OTA? With a BIS plan enterprise activation is gone on the phone.
    It was there. *shrug*
    03-24-10 09:19 AM
    It was there. *shrug*
    Who is your carrier? If it's verizon I would check and make sure you are on a BIS plan, if not they are charging you $15 more per month for BES. I was on BES and almost instantly after downgrading to BIS enterprise activation disappeared from my phone and my boss' phone.
    03-24-10 10:42 AM
    I have a Tour w/ VZW and have the option for EA and I assure you I'm on the 29.99 data plan.

Our organization is looking at moving 900+ users from BES to BES X.
    03-25-10 03:47 PM
    That's just strange. I wonder why some have it and others don't.
    03-26-10 04:54 PM
    it was a Verizon storm that I activated. I have other users who did not have the option (a Tour).
    03-29-10 12:53 PM
    it was a Verizon storm that I activated. I have other users who did not have the option (a Tour).
    Yes. I can confirm that on Bell Mobility the Enterprise Activation option (Options->Advanced Options->Enterprise Activation) appears and disappears. I didn't activate with this OTA option, but see no reason to doubt that it would work, even though it normally applies to a BES service.

/ES
    03-29-10 04:13 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD