We currently have seven BES servers with about 420 users per. We use exchange 2007 and were Groupwise last year. When we had Groupwise we noticed that performance degraded considerably around 400 clients. My manager seems to think we should be able to support 1500 users on each box. I am not sure about the hardware, three of the servers are virtual but the boxes are HP's about a year old and pretty robust. So the question is how many?
    10-16-09 09:52 AM
    We don't have many.

One server has about 10 and the other about 20.

Is anything else running on these BES boxes?
    10-19-09 12:56 PM
    We have one server with ~800 users on it. Not an issue.
    10-19-09 03:26 PM
    I believe the maximum is around the 2000 if you are using a SQL server database server, I know of systems hosting close to this.

One questionto ask yourself is...can your hardware (or VMs) cope with that? A good place to start would be to do some baselining with perfmon logging, seeing what load CPU, memory and disk are under. If the results show a system under little load, then you could increase the number of users in stages, continuing to monitor performance as you go.
    10-20-09 05:10 AM
    Thank you all for the responses. To those who are interested, we are running all BES services on every box. Our solution is to dedicate services to individual boxes which off-loads the work the main boxes have to do. We can then load up the users and monitor utilization.
    11-12-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD