Hi There,

I haven't posted for some time as personally I moved to Android, however I still manager blackberries for work.

The powers that be decided to move to BPOS (Microsoft online services) for hosted blackberry services. The issue is that this is a shared service so MDS has been disabled to protect data from other organisations on the same system.

So we have our blackberry.net data package pointing to Microsoft and our other internet traffic gopes through the T-Mobile APN.

We have devices ranging between OS5 and 7 in the wild. The issue being seen is that google maps states that it is blocked by the server. Blackberry maps does nothing.

Microsoft advise that in OS5, you can change the default browser to anything other than MDS and ut should work but there are no work arounds for OS6 or 7.

In September, we should be moving to Office 365 which is hosted by RIM (for blackberry) and the MDS issue no longer exists.

Following are some questions if someone could answer for me please:

1) Default browser option on my Os5, T-mobile branded handset is between t-mobile (Web n Walk branded MDS browser) and Hotspot. Maps work with neither of these options. Installed Opera and Uzard but these do not populate the selection box. Is that normal or is that a t-mobile branding thing?

2) Is there no other way to circumvent using MDS which is a service we do not have?

3) Does google maps use the public_mds string?

4) With a blackberry.net APN, can we connect to BES and use t-mobile's public_mds (BIS)?

5) Does anyone have any experience with Office 365 and MDS / Google maps working?

Thanks in advance. I have been batted from pillar to post on this issue. All my users want is to use google or blackberry maps but I have been unable to get either working.

I have even tried to get the default browser changed by using an unbranded OS version on my OS5 device but even that did not work as the Tmob browser remained
    05-02-12 04:30 AM
    If anyone is interested, there is a solution.

T-Mobile offer a bolt on "Web n walk" which when added, the service books update and give you a new default browsing service.

On Os5 you see that this becomes teh default browser config, maps works.

For os6+, the OS looks for the path of least resistence anyway so this also takes cre of that issue too.

I hope this helps someone.
    05-03-12 04:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD