I've got a problem with our BES12.1 Server. Everything is fine, but after working correctly for several days, it stops pushing to the end devices (Z30, Leap & HTC One M8). Restarting the BES12 server solves the problem and everything is ok for a few days. Restarting the end device doesn't take an effect. We don't receive emails on all devices, so Android 5.x and BB OS 10.3.x have the same problem.

BES 12.1 works together with an Exchange 2007 SP3 Rollupdate Pack 15

The logs are so big, so I don't know where to look at the mistake.

Has anyone similiar experiences or a solution for this issue?

Thank you.
    06-01-15 02:11 AM
    Mostly it is a certificate issue on the exchange side. Bes does not push mails, it just creates a tunnel to your mailserver.

So when a restart of your bes helps, it should be a tunnel problem. Look for SRP drops in your logfile...

Or contact a BlackBerry Partner to help you out

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 11:38 PM
    It's a Exchange 2007> "problem".
    After Exchange 2003 Microsoft stop supporting push.
    Before doing this, update the Exchange.
    Search for the following;

Subkey location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSExchangeRPC\ParametersSystem
    Subkey name: EnablePushNotifications
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1 <———-this will enable push notifications.

If there is no DWORD registry key named “EnablePushNotifications”.
    Create a new DWORD registry key named “EnablePushNotifications”.

After creating the right registry key on the right location Restart your server.

Hopefully it works for you.
    06-02-15 12:41 AM
    Erkan, thanks. But restarting my BES takes effect, so I don't think it's an exchange issue (?)
    Yesterday I noticed that the SQL NT Service takes 80-95% CPU and my memory (4 GB) is filled with 3,8 GB. So, I configured my vm with 8 GB and after that the SQL service went down to 1-5% - very strange. I will monitor the scenario the next days.
    06-02-15 01:49 AM
    First of all 4GB RAM (for a combined BES and SQL Server) is not sufficient. BB itself recommends at least 12GB, mine is running fine with 8GB (serving around 100 devices).

You have to keep in mind, that even if you limit SQL server memory usage, there are some BES services (especially the gatekeeping for Exchange) consuming a lot of memory over time.

And regardless of how much memory your server has, sooner or later, a service requesting physical RAM won't be able to allocate it and might stop responding or playing up.

Therefore a good recommendation is to reboot the server periodically (e.g. aligned with MS patchday and installing their updates), always assuming you do not run out of memory upfront.

Nevertheless, I faced the same issue for nearly 7 weeks (Feb. till midst of April). The server had enough free RAM available, but the MDS connection service (the one being responsible for pushing/accepting mails to/from devices) started playing up without any reason, simply detectable by its CPU usage, which raised to 80-90% every 2nd to 3rd day of uptime.
    A simple restart of this service helped to get the mails flow again. I opened a ticket at BB, but their customer support was not able (during 6 weeks) to find any reason/hint inside the server logs.

And now guess what: Right after 12.1 MR1 had been released, I upgraded my server. Since then (midst of April) the server is up and running again without any downtime. Problems are simply gone.

So, as always, every software does have bugs, newer releases might have issues fixed not mentioned in their release notes and customer support is not able to help you any further when BES services start playing up (without logging the cause for this).
    But it seems like at least one of the BES developers fixed my "hiddden" bug.

Therefore, in case the 4GB RAM limitation was not the cause for your troubles and you face the issue the next days again (without running out of memory at the same time), I suggest you should give it a try and install MR1 as well.
    06-02-15 09:23 AM
    That is very helpful Jack T2. I am looking only for 12.2 last weeks, because I've installed 12.1 yet. I don't know about this MR1. I know about the bugs in first releases, so I skipped the version 12.0 in hope to get a better experience in 12.1, but now I'm a bit disappointed. In any case, now the download for MR1 is in progress.

Is MR1 a simple in-place Upgrade? I've got bad experiences with BES Updates in versions 5 and 10......
    06-02-15 10:00 AM
    MR1 is a maintenance release. All BES 12 packages are full installation packages, but an in-place upgrade will be performed in case an older release is already installed.

Hence simply make a backup of the BES database, stop all BES services, install MR1 and (to assure everything is starting up as usual) reboot the system once. Should not take longer than 10 to 15 minutes in total.

With BES 12 I've never had update issues. Only the first BES 10 releases and of course some of the version 5 service packs did sometimes make troubles during upgrade. But to be honest, most often these troubles where related due to not reading the installation/upgrade instructions and trying to install the update as usual.
    06-03-15 12:36 AM
    Now MR1 is installed. Hope now the problems are gone...
    06-03-15 04:08 AM
    MR1 did include a fix for mail flow stopping.

As far as I remember you can see the SRP connection is dropped in the Dispatcher log.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 05:39 PM