SO I finished setting up BES10 and got my user issue figured out, but now you have to setup the e-mail profile and activesync is the only choice. In the old BES I never had to choose how it worked, it just worked. It new how the e-mail was connecting and I didn't have to set any settings. Am I missing something. Sorry for the ignorance, but I am trying to learn on the fly ASAP to demo units.
    03-28-13 02:42 PM
    Yep, pretty much. When I just setup my z10, I had to enter my network password when activating on BES. No more MAPI.
    03-28-13 02:52 PM
    SO I finished setting up BES10 and got my user issue figured out, but now you have to setup the e-mail profile and activesync is the only choice. In the old BES I never had to choose how it worked, it just worked. It new how the e-mail was connecting and I didn't have to set any settings. Am I missing something. Sorry for the ignorance, but I am trying to learn on the fly ASAP to demo units.
    Yes it's uses ActiveSync only, but it's different than if you connect the device directly to ActiveSync. BES10 re-encapsoluates the 128bit packets to 256bit before sending them to BBRY NOC and from there to the device. So from what I understand from BBRY support you ideally should use the external IP to your Exchange instead use the internal one in your ActiveSync configuration on BES10.
    03-29-13 02:25 PM
    OP:

The BES 10 server retrieves your email and other PIM data from the Exchange server using ActiveSync. When you activate the phone on the BES10, your phone still reaches through the BlackBerry NOC to connect to your BES in much the same way as with BES 5.x

You could manually configure ActiveSync directly to your Exchange server but, as was emphasized by the previous poster, you will not be taking advantage of the extra encryption of the BB -- NOC -- BES connection.

When the device is activated on the BES and your BlackBerry Balance workspace is created, you just need your username and server name (SRP ID) and activation pass phrase for the first part (to connect through the NOC to the BES10) and subsequently your username/password so the BES 10 can connect on your behalf to the Exchange server by ActiveSync.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 04:16 PM
    When I activated mine on my BES, it didn't ask for server address. I put in my email address and it started activating.
    03-29-13 05:00 PM
    ^^^^^
    Strange. That's how my BESx 5.04 works with my older BBOS 7 phones but not with BES 10. Is there some setting on the BES10 which I missed where you can put in the user's ActiveSync email/password so it doesn't prompt the user during activation? Also, how do you get around not specifying the server ID?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 10:44 PM
    When I activated mine on my BES, it didn't ask for server address. I put in my email address and it started activating.
    On BES10 an ActiveSync profile has to be created and assigned to your account during the creation process. From there when you go to add an email address and put in your email which on your BES10 network the device contacts BBRY NOC which contacts your server, if it sees your server it then asks you for the activation password and sets up the work side, your device will ask for a work side password and then ask you for your email password.
    03-30-13 05:41 AM
    ^^^^^
    Strange. That's how my BESx 5.04 works with my older BBOS 7 phones but not with BES 10. Is there some setting on the BES10 which I missed where you can put in the user's ActiveSync email/password so it doesn't prompt the user during activation? Also, how do you get around not specifying the server ID?

Posted via CB10
    No there isn't, I assume either the OP wasn't paying attention when he or she activated their device or their BES10 isn't talking to BBRY NOC and they have indeed set it up to talk directly to their Microsoft Exchange server over ActiveSync.
    03-30-13 05:43 AM
    You don't need server ID If you enabled "Register activation information with BlackBerry infrastructure" in wireless device activation settings.

Todd

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 12:39 PM
    ^^^^^^
    That's good info. Thanks. Does this also cover off the username/password for ActiveSync? Clearly this would be a lot more convenient....just enter the activation password and budda boom budda bing, you're activating. Just like BES 5.x

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 09:16 PM
    this is terrible now!!! the complaint that users had with iOS and Android is that they cannot easily see if they had replied to an email while looking back a few months. the replied to icon is not there, and neither is the "you replied on 1/1/13 1:15pm" banner.
    07-23-13 08:43 AM
    this is terrible now!!! the complaint that users had with iOS and Android is that they cannot easily see if they had replied to an email while looking back a few months. the replied to icon is not there, and neither is the "you replied on 1/1/13 1:15pm" banner.
    Welcome to CB

Having this updated will come in a future relase. I believe there is a KB floating around that states this has been escalated to internal development yada yada yada
    07-23-13 08:45 AM
    yeah, that would be nice... as for right now, the email functionality for us is on the same level as an iphone. we have many users that travel, and that is a key function.
    07-23-13 08:50 AM
    Yep, pretty much. When I just setup my z10, I had to enter my network password when activating on BES. No more MAPI.
    No more MAPI?

I was going to migrate to BES10, is it still worth my while?
    07-29-13 08:41 PM
    No more MAPI?

I was going to migrate to BES10, is it still worth my while?
    Are you new to BES? You sure act like it. You need to read the posts in this forum more carefully as the answers you seek are written in them. I know have have explained why BES10 doesn't have MAPI at least 4 times now. Not to mention if you read the BES10 documents from BBRY you would have a much better understanding.
    07-29-13 09:24 PM