I may be wrong but I think the trade up is from non BES10 to BES10 licenses
    -taken off the trade up website.

Do my licenses qualify?

This offer applies to Interim BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 licenses, Perpetual BlackBerry Enterprise Server licenses, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 and BlackBerry Mobile Fusion licenses only.
    05-14-13 02:50 PM
    -taken off the trade up website.

Do my licenses qualify?

This offer applies to Interim BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 licenses, Perpetual BlackBerry Enterprise Server licenses, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 and BlackBerry Mobile Fusion licenses only.

ahh ok when I clicked on the help link it took me to a BES5 page.

EDIT - Migrate BES10 v10.0 to Corporate v10.1 - NFS Perpetual CAL
    Last edited by deebo550; 05-14-13 at 02:56 PM. Reason: EDIT
    05-14-13 02:54 PM
    I installed the BES 10.1 service trial software and it installed UDS and Mobile Studio on my server where I only wanted BDS installed/upgraded. It didn't give me a choice of what component to install as with the BES 10.0 installation package. I've since reverted my BES 10.0 BDS server to its state before I upgraded.

So.....has anyone tried the installation of the SP1 download linked a couple of posts ago? It's the same name (bes_10.1.0.exe) as the trial software and the same size so I'm wondering if it's the same thing?
    05-14-13 04:21 PM
    I installed the BES 10.1 service trial software and it installed UDS and Mobile Studio on my server where I only wanted BDS installed/upgraded. It didn't give me a choice of what component to install as with the BES 10.0 installation package. I've since reverted my BES 10.0 BDS server to its state before I upgraded.

So.....has anyone tried the installation of the SP1 download linked a couple of posts ago? It's the same name (bes_10.1.0.exe) as the trial software and the same size so I'm wondering if it's the same thing?
    Well that is not cool! I'll be trying the BDS 10.1 service pack upgrade from BDS 10.0 in a test environment but not for a few weeks, too busy rolling out BB10 phones.

Why couldn't BlackBerry get all the infrastructure ready for the January BB10 launch eh, then we wouldn't be testing upgrades and converting CALs half our time.

Posted via CB10
    dnchance likes this.
    05-14-13 05:18 PM
    Well that is not cool! I'll be trying the BDS 10.1 service pack upgrade from BDS 10.0 in a test environment but not for a few weeks, too busy rolling out BB10 phones.

Why couldn't BlackBerry get all the infrastructure ready for the January BB10 launch eh, then we wouldn't be testing upgrades and converting CALs half our time.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Although we might be getting ahead of ourselves. I'm going to try the package in about an hour. Btw, my web browser informed me that the publisher's signature is either corrupt or missing BES 10.1 Released today-corrupt.png
    05-14-13 05:48 PM

Okay BES 10.0 and 10.1 are VERY different, night and day, apple to orange. If you want to only install the components I recommend you read the installation guide; go and request the trial and you'll get an email from BlackBerry with a link to download it and another link to the documentation.
    05-14-13 06:46 PM
    Agreed. Although we might be getting ahead of ourselves. I'm going to try the package in about an hour. Btw, my web browser informed me that the publisher's signature is either corrupt or missing Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corrupt.png 
Views:	331 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	161659
    Works for me on. I downloaded it using IE9 at the office and Chrome at home. I just installed the entire thing as well.
    05-14-13 06:48 PM
    I have installed and all is well. The 10.0 licenses do not come across and you need to trade them up to 10.1. On doing this the licenses now expire after 12 months. Not happy. We will see what comes of this.
    05-14-13 07:30 PM
    I have installed and all is well. The 10.0 licenses do not come across and you need to trade them up to 10.1. On doing this the licenses now expire after 12 months. Not happy. We will see what comes of this.
    It would appear this is just for EMM. I can not locate anywhere to put the normal BES CAL's in. Do you still need CAL's if you are not going to use EMM?
    05-14-13 07:38 PM
    That is not good at all. I just bought 4 BES 10.0 BDS CALs and I would be *very* annoyed if they were no longer perpetual as that was the understanding when I bought them.
    05-14-13 07:43 PM
    This is exactly what I feared in this post here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=806791

And if that's the case then I am mightily angry that there is no mention during the BES CAL trade up process that the perpetual CALs you may have been using for years are going to end up as annual CALs meaning in 12 months you're going to have to find a lot of money for something you thought you'd already paid for. And same again every 12 months after. Foul play BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 08:29 PM
    I've already done the license trade-up (well, for a few licenses). That's a separate process - albeit the text above on the downloads page is misleading.

The download is available now - I've just grabbed it. Just about to dive in. Wish me luck.
    05-15-13 02:52 AM
    Great, fell at the first hurdle.

BES 10.1 Released today-bes-10.1-bms-installation-error.jpg

I'm trying to install the BES 10.1 file downloaded from BESC over the top of a trial version of 10.0 (well, BDS 6.2.1). I think Management Studio and UDS must have been partially installed when I did the original trial install, but I've never used them and don't really want them.

Now I'm stuck. Blackberry Management Studio doesn't appear in Uninstall a Program. So I can't uninstall it, to allow myself to install this update.

Any ideas?
    05-15-13 03:47 AM
    So my understanding of this now is that if i upgrade to 10.1 with the 30 licences i have migrated from BES5 to 10.0 they will become annual licences now not perpetual?

Very sneak of RIM considering their Enterprise IM solution to connect into Microsoft Lync is only available on 10.1! this is a feature my company is crying out for
    05-15-13 04:50 AM
    So my understanding of this now is that if i upgrade to 10.1 with the 30 licences i have migrated from BES5 to 10.0 they will become annual licences now not perpetual?

Very sneak of RIM considering their Enterprise IM solution to connect into Microsoft Lync is only available on 10.1! this is a feature my company is crying out for
    Upgraded licenses from a older version of BES work for a year then you have have to renew them. What I stuck on is that the wording used for the licensing is different than what the documentation and the user uses. After I upgraded my 10 CALs from BES 4.1 to 10.0 and then 10.0 to 10.1 the license according to the BlackBerry Account Centre site are called Corporate Level - Intern, and according to BB Studio Mgt they are called EMM - Corporate for BlackBerry.
    05-15-13 05:12 AM
    Yeah the license stuff is confusing. However when I first installed 10.0 last week and traded in 100 CALs I do remember it saying that they were "temporary" or something like that, and only the ones you have active by the end of the year remain yours and the rest expire. So if I activate 75 users, I will lose 25.
    05-15-13 02:06 PM
    Darn, I should have read through this thread better... I updated my demo server to 10.1 and it also put the extra crap like the UDS on there, and it also got to the end and crashed because it couldn't add an IIS website because I don't actually have IIS running on that server. Does UDS require that? Even though the install totally bombed, all the services are still installed.. Weird.
    05-15-13 02:56 PM
    Darn, I should have read through this thread better... I updated my demo server to 10.1 and it also put the extra crap like the UDS on there, and it also got to the end and crashed because it couldn't add an IIS website because I don't actually have IIS running on that server. Does UDS require that? Even though the install totally bombed, all the services are still installed.. Weird.
    Yes you need to read the requirements for installing BES 10.1.. IIS is certainly one of the requirements.
    05-15-13 03:14 PM
    Yes you need to read the requirements for installing BES 10.1.. IIS is certainly one of the requirements.
    Heh, well now I wait for my server guys to add IIS to my servers. No biggie at all. From what I've read in the new doc so far, UDS and everything is all combined into one piece? That's why I install stuff on demo servers first.
    05-15-13 03:31 PM
    If you have BDS and UDS on separate servers is it possible to just upgrade those Services to the BES 10.1 versions separately without UDS also ending up being installed on your BDS server and UDS also ending up being installed on your BDS server?

Sorry I don't have time to read through the install guide, that's a job for another month at this rate.

If not that's going to be an unexpected headache. I know a lot of people wanted BES 10 to run on one server and that's OK for some but I don't like all my eggs on one basket and expected there would be the choice to be able to upgrade BDS and UDS on separate servers. It will be the most common configuration for those of us who started out with Mobile Fusion.

If it can then yay well done BlackBerry lol

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 03:32 PM
    If you have BDS and UDS on separate servers is it possible to just upgrade those Services to the BES 10.1 versions separately without UDS also ending up being installed on your BDS server and UDS also ending up being installed on your BDS server?

Sorry I don't have time to read through the install guide, that's a job for another month at this rate.

If not that's going to be an unexpected headache. I know a lot of people wanted BES 10 to run on one server and that's OK for some but I don't like all my eggs on one basket and expected there would be the choice to be able to upgrade BDS and UDS on separate servers. It will be the most common configuration for those of us who started out with Mobile Fusion.

Posted via CB10
    It should also be in the check list before hit install, it show's a list of things that are missing; it should say IIS is one of them. So instead of hitting install read what's on the screen.
    05-15-13 03:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    From what I am gathering, according to the admin guide, they are calling all those pieces the Core Components. I don't see where I can pick and choose what to install.

There is also high availibilty now, so you could probably put all your devices on one server and have the other be the failover.
    05-15-13 03:40 PM
    It should also be in the check list before hit install, it show's a list of things that are missing; it should say IIS is one of them. So instead of hitting install read what's on the screen.
    I don't think never clicking install if you don't want your BDS server to suddenly become a UDS server too is a good work around!

I've got a couple more questions if anyone would be kind enough to comment on what they've learned:

1) Is there a migration path documented for how to get your users moved from separate BDS and UDS severs to a single BES10.1 without needing multiple servers on the go with different Server IDs and without losing any user activations, configurations, IT policies etc?

2) For me the UDS communication module must be in a DMZ, can I upgrade just that one component on my sever in the DMZ? Is it still a supported configuration?

An annoyance of all this is my servers have BDS and UDS in their computer names. If I'd known I was going to be forced to end up with a consolidated BES10 server I wouldn't have done that.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 04:50 PM
    From what I am gathering, according to the admin guide, they are calling all those pieces the Core Components. I don't see where I can pick and choose what to install.

There is also high availibilty now, so you could probably put all your devices on one server and have the other be the failover.
    Can't believe they've done this to those of us who didn't want to run the gauntlet of configuring BES10.0 to run on one server.

High availability is very welcome and will be needed in my environment but I can't see how I can get from my current setup to even a single BES 10.1 server without losing either BDS or UDS activations when trying to consolidate from separate servers to one, never mind two servers in an HA pairing.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 04:58 PM
    Didn't see anything about #1, but I just started running BB10 about a week ago so I don't have any expierence with what you are asking.

For #2 all i can see in the 10.1 install guide is about installing a standalone router in the DMZ, which you can still do. Doesn't mention anything about UDS stuff.

I don't think never clicking install if you don't want your BDS server to suddenly become a UDS server too is a good work around!

I've got a couple more questions if anyone would be kind enough to comment on what they've learned:

1) Is there a migration path documented for how to get your users moved from separate BDS and UDS severs to a single BES10.1 without needing multiple servers on the go with different Server IDs and without losing any user activations, configurations, IT policies etc?

2) For me the UDS communication module must be in a DMZ, can I upgrade just that one component on my sever in the DMZ? Is it still a supported configuration?

An annoyance of all this is my servers have BDS and UDS in their computer names. If I'd known I was going to be forced to end up with a consolidated BES10 server I wouldn't have done that.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 05:05 PM
74 123