I updated a client from 10.0 to 10.1.0 and the first thing I noticed is I had to remove Device Services, then Management Studio (with restarts in between), then in the beginning of the setup of BES 10.1.0 it said the database name was invalid. WTF! So after spending 3 hours with TSS and removing the old UDS db's, the BDSMgmt DB was correctly named but still received the same error, it was decided to to remove BES 10.0 from the computer, UDS from IIS, and from the registry leaving the DB in tact, restarting the server and installing BES 10.1.0, during the installation I needed to select 'use existing blackberry 10 database' and everything worked.

So let this be a lesson, if the update hosed your machine or it won't install and your pressed for time certainly going from 10.0 to 10.1 and to 10.1.1 you can try what I did.

Secondly I was told by BlackBerry L2 support that the BES 10.1.1 download is the complete package, I found that a bit misleading as the download site clearly states you must have 10.1.0 installed before installing 10.1.1 ...
    06-25-13 09:36 PM
    So, it wasn't quite the "just read the manuals and nothing can go wrong" experience you were bashing me over the head with a few weeks ago! Strange huh.

That's why I was planning workarounds for if things didn't work during the upgrade to 10.1

Thanks for sharing your fix for this scenario though, I'm sure it'll happen to someone else too, good old BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    edwintg likes this.
    06-26-13 03:09 AM
    So far all my mobile fusion/bes10.x experience had been something will go wrong. It's just a matter or what and how severe lol

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 05:24 AM
    So, it wasn't quite the "just read the manuals and nothing can go wrong" experience you were bashing me over the head with a few weeks ago! Strange huh.

That's why I was planning workarounds for if things didn't work during the upgrade to 10.1

Thanks for sharing your fix for this scenario though, I'm sure it'll happen to someone else too, good old BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Well silly figuring this was my 7th upgrade, I work for an MSP, I have already read the manual several times.
    06-26-13 05:42 AM
    I've had to "clean uninstall" 10.0 so many times, and have run the 10.1 installer so many times, I can do them in my sleep. Even all o fhte manual registry key removals from memory.
    RickS2 likes this.
    06-26-13 11:19 AM
    A test upgrade from 10.1 to 10.1.1 this afternoon has gone wrong for me on my test server.

I had a working 10.1 server with an EMM Corporate for BlackBerry CAL activated but now on 10.1.1 the Licenses tab in BMS does nothing giving just a tooltip pop up saying "Licensing Server is not avaliable" and I can't log in to BDS at all. The BAS console for BDS just says that the "BlackBerry Administration Service is starting" permanently and never loads the logon page. The BAS service is running fine as is the Licensing sevice. A reboot doesnt help.

There were no errors given during the upgrade, no sign that anything wasn't right. Great upgrade BlackBerry, glad I do everything in test before I do it for real.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 06-26-13 at 12:09 PM.
    06-26-13 11:57 AM
    A test upgrade from 10.1 to 10.1.1 this afternoon has gone wrong for me on my test server.

I had a working 10.1 server with an EMM Corporate for BlackBerry CAL activated but now on 10.1.1 the Licenses tab in BMS does nothing giving just a tooltip pop up saying "Licensing Server is not avaliable" and I can't log in to BDS at all. The BAS console for BDS just says that the "BlackBerry Administration Service is starting" permanently and never loads the logon page. The BAS service is running fine as is the Licensing sevice. A reboot doesnt help.

There were no errors given during the upgrade, no sign that anything wasn't right. Great upgrade BlackBerry, glad I do everything in test before I do it for real.

Posted via CB10
    I had the same issue with the license server after the upgrade. But it was with IE. I tried Chrome and I was able to see the license tab and add the new CALs for Work Space. Once I was able to add the licenses everything was much happier.
    06-26-13 12:22 PM
    I had the same issue with the license server after the upgrade. But it was with IE. I tried Chrome and I was able to see the license tab and add the new CALs for Work Space. Once I was able to add the licenses everything was much happier.
    Thanks for replying but for me the Licenses tab does the same in Chrome as it does in IE, nothing, it won't let me in.

As it's a test server and virtual I might just start again with a fresh install of Windows and BES10.1.1 to see what I end up with.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 12:31 PM
    I installed 10.1 this weeked. After uninstalling Management Studio and putting my new key in the new location, I really can't complain about the process.
    06-26-13 12:53 PM
    try using the an admin account to log in to BMS
    06-26-13 01:05 PM
    try using the an admin account to log in to BMS
    I did think of that but after upgrading the test server from 10.0 to 10.1 (when the admin account was created) I deleted the admin account in BDS as I thought it was no longer needed once I'd configured UDS and BDS for Active Directory.

When I logged in to BMS with the admin account in 10.1 it couldn't do anything License related anyway as only a 'normailzed' account can edit things on the Licenses tab. Two AD accounts with the Security Administrator role in BDS could previously access the Licenses tab OK in 10.1 but can't now in 10.1.1

I may revert the VM back to 10.0 and create an admin account again and try that after upgrading to 10.1.1

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 06-26-13 at 03:03 PM.
    06-26-13 02:15 PM
    Amen. What a **** installer.
    06-26-13 03:01 PM
    I've now tried having a local admin account in both BDS and UDS in BES10.1 that has the Security Administrator role before upgrading to BES10.1.1 and it makes no difference after upgrading. Still can't access the Licensing tab logged in as either the admin account or two AD accounts with the Security Administrator role.

And BDS is still inaccessible, the BAS console for it never gets to the logon page and it's not visible under the Services tab in BMS which indicates to me that the upgrade screwed the web service for BDS completely.

Totally unimpressed with BES10.1.1 already. Next stop a clean install of it but I have little confidence left that this release is worth much more effort.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 05:50 PM
    I've now tried having a local admin account in both BDS and UDS in BES10.1 that has the Security Administrator role before upgrading to BES10.1.1 and it makes no difference after upgrading. Still can't access the Licensing tab logged in as either the admin account or two AD accounts with the Security Administrator role.

And BDS is still inaccessible, the BAS console for it never gets to the logon page and it's not visible under the Services tab in BMS which indicates to me that the upgrade screwed the web service for BDS completely.

Totally unimpressed with BES10.1.1 already. Next stop a clean install of it but I have little confidence left that this release is worth much more effort.

Posted via CB10
    The thing that stinks is everyone has a different experience. I was screwed with 10 to 10.1 but to 10.1.1 I was fine

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 06:12 PM
    News update, just finished a clean install of BES10.1.1 and I can access the Licensing tab just fine and BDS access through BAS is working fine too.

So what I've proven in my test environment is that for my production BES10.0 environment there is no guaranteed upgrade path to BES10.1.1 that will get me there smoothly without trashing one or more of either BDS, UDS or BMS. Awesome.

Posted via CB10
    deiop likes this.
    06-27-13 04:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    I hit this exact same problem again upgrading from BES10.1.2 to 10.2 but I found the KB article that fixes it:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB34561

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK
    12-10-13 09:09 PM