Hi,

In our company we're running BES10 without any problems whatsoever managing both BB10 devices as well as iPads, iPhones etc. via secure workspace.
    Recently a discussion has started in our company about whether we should migrate to WP8 (Windows Phone 8) because "Blackberry is doomed and won't stay in the market for long" and "WP8 is the better solution". As you can imagine as a BES/BES10-admin I see things quite different.

Problem: whatever I have to say in terms of better security, manageability etc. about BB is taken as "highly biased in favor of BB" and in the meantime MSFT is trying to sell their stuff at the management level

Since the BES10/BB10-solution works absolutely stable and gives business users tons of features that make BB special both in terms of security and productivity I would very much like for this solution to stay.

Since I've got absolutely no experience with WP8 and its management/security capabilities however, I'm looking for someone who has actually tried (i.e. tested) WP8 and possibly compared it to BB10? What was/is your experience with WP8 as compared to BB10? Any ideas about how WP8.1 which is due in early April compares to BB10?

Thanks much in advance for your help.
    03-24-14 03:43 PM
    Hi,

This is probably not at the level you are seeking but you will want to include it in your files. From another Forum:
    http://www.sv-cs.com/SmartPhones/Which_Smart_Phone.pptx

Good Luck
    creowano likes this.
    03-24-14 05:51 PM
    I own both platforms, but cannot comment from a business/enterprise perspective. Both are compelling products IMHO.
    03-24-14 05:54 PM
    I have a Z10 work phone and manage BES10 for my company. I happen to have a WP8 device that I am using on the personal side for the moment.

I have not attempted to 'manage' the WP8 from anything…. because… well, its not manageable with anything I have. UDS10 doesn't do it. We are a Novell GroupWise shop, the current version of DataSync/GMS only does the basics of password and wipe.

The thing that still hurts Blackberry are 3rd party apps, and while apps are lacking on WP8, there are more options. If apps are the reason to make a switch, the direction shouldn't be toward WP8.

Overall, I don't see a good business case in using WP8, the device, OS and support really seem geared toward consumer use. One example is basic usability. On WP8, when an email is being composed, if you switch away (to the browser, or something) and then switch back… it dumps your in-progress message.

WP8 browser (IE) is also lacking. There is one single on-screen button that can be changed according to preference. Reload/Stop, or Tabs, or favorites. That is OR, you get one button and one function.

There are other things with WP8, but I think it all boils down to maturity. BB had a head start with its rich background, Apple has been at it a long time and Android has copied everything from everyone else (kidding, kind of). WP8 is the second major version of a brand new direction for MS. Such, they developed the Zune, xBox and such before, but its not the same as a pure mobile OS.
    03-25-14 05:40 PM
    I haven't used Windows Phone 8 yet but apparently there "Enterprise features" coming in 8.1, whatever they are going to be, I'm intrigued to see. They've come a year too late for my Enterprise as we went all in with BB10 a year ago, but we're open to using and managing Windows Phones in future as UDS is getting Windows Phone support in late summer / whenever BES12 comes out.

So, OP you have to look at being a BESAdmin nowadays as about getting that BES10 Client on as many different makes and types of devices as possible and keeping that CAL revenue trickling in to good old BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-25-14 07:16 PM
    Native WP8 management is absolutely awful. It uses only ActiveSync policies (just about).

IT Pro Talk: Mobile device management and Windows Phone 8

Take a look there for the native capabilities. If you want something even remotely close to BES, you will have to purchase a third party MDM (MobileIron, Airwatch, etc). Even then the capabilities are limited as WP8 doesnt have many of the security APIs exposed for management that other devices do. Ill have to look at a report and see if I can find it.
    03-25-14 07:52 PM
    Very interesting, and surprising, to read that plain old not-good-enough ActiveSync Policies are still the only 'management' policies that can be applied to Windows 8 Phones. And that even SCCM and Intune don't offer anything over and above those other than a nicer GUI for doing admin.

Unless this is all set to change vastly with Windows Phone 8.1, BlackBerry have nothing to worry about from Windows Phone in the Enterprise.

03-25-14 08:22 PM
    Hmm it seems the Enterprise features of Windows 8.1 may amount merely to VPN support!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_8.1

Wow, has Windows Phone not had VPN support for the last 3 and a bit years?!

Have MS just been pretending they're trying to take Enterprise market share or what?!

03-25-14 08:44 PM
    Hmm it seems the Enterprise features of Windows 8.1 may amount merely to VPN support!

Windows Phone 8.1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, has Windows Phone not had VPN support for the last 3 and a bit years?!

Have MS just been pretending they're trying to take Enterprise market share or what?!

Actually the OS is 1 1/2 years old. Because WP8xx and WP7xx have nothing in common.

PS: MS didn't say that Nokia did. About enterprise market share
    03-25-14 09:06 PM
    Actually the OS is 1 1/2 years old. Because WP8xx and WP7xx have nothing in common.

PS: MS didn't say that Nokia did. About enterprise market share
    They both have something in common, no VPN support!

03-26-14 06:47 PM
    I tried to manage a WP8 device with AirWatch, but the available policies were absolutely pathetic.
    I like WP as a consumer device, but in my opinion, it is not (yet) usable as an enterprise device.
    I believe the manageability will improve in WP8.1, but until then, I suggest you remain with BlackBerry.
    03-27-14 03:24 AM
    ... Unless this is all set to change vastly with Windows Phone 8.1, BlackBerry have nothing to worry about from Windows Phone in the Enterprise.
    Well us admin's / techies know this, for corporate compliance and management nothing come close to a BlackBerry and BES, however I personally believe that BlackBerry have a heck of a lot to worry about with Windows Phone.

I see that you use O2 as your carrier, have you been given the incredibly hard sell from them yet in regards to Windows Phone and Office 365 ?. It's this that has me concerned, you and I will not fall for the bull**** from carriers but many company Directors etc will, the Director will be schmoozed by the carrier at all sorts of corporate events plugging the 'synergies' of Windows Phone and Office 365 and the next thing you know a decision has been made at the senior level of a business to drop their fleet of BlackBerry's no matter what we say.

The carriers stand to make some nice money from pushing Windows Phone and getting you to sign up to Office 365 through them, I'm seeing almost every carrier pushing this now to corporates, and if they keep on pushing more and more corporates will move over.

As long as BlackBerry has such weak marketing they'll keep losing market share to Windows Phone in enterprises
    03-27-14 12:03 PM
    (For reference O2 in the UK kept banging on again and again about Windows Phone / Office 365 to me, they had zero interest in my continued use of BlackBerry devices, they were getting heavy. It wasn't until I started talking directly to BlackBerry in the UK, and mentioned about this behaviour, that things then changed)
    03-27-14 12:09 PM